News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Started by PaulP, February 22, 2009, 11:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulP

I am having problems with the avatar's on our site, using RC1.

I select the avatar URL I want to use and it immediately shows up in my profile. Yet when I try to save it, I am getting an error message: Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

I've changed the settings to 125 x 125 (was 65 x 65). The avatar worked ok in previous versions. Avatars are enabled yet I see that other users have lost theirs also. Avatar is 48 x 48 file is less than 2k

Permissions are set on server and this was working at one time

Any ideas?

Paul

LiroyvH

Do your attachments and avatar folders have the correct chmod? (Should be 777)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

PaulP

All permissions set to 777, I just double checked them.

More Info: all the avatars we have been using or have been uploaded are in the attachments folders.

For what ever reason, the avatars are not showing with the posts or profiles, after converting from 1.1.8 to 2.0-RC1 All settings look correct, but clearly, I've broken something somewhere

If I select one of the supplied avatars (Actors/Musicians), they will display properly.

I have checked the error log and it appears I am getting a whole lot of "permission denied" from the display.php file.  Yet all the permissions are set to 777  I've attached a notepad file of the error messages.

Ideas

Paul

LiroyvH

This is a windows server?

Also, I noticed:
WWWROOT\forum/attachments/

Have you tried changing the paths to this?
WWWROOT\forum\attachments\

- Liroy

PaulP

Yes, it is a windows server.

I tried:
\hm-cobra.org\WWWROOT\forum/attachments/
\hm-cobra.org\WWWROOT\forum\attachments\
\hm-cobra.org\WWWROOT\forum/attachments
\hm-cobra.org\WWWROOT\forum\attachments

I finally went with /hm-cobra.org/WWWROOT/forum/attachments/. I am able to upload an attachment and it displays OK in the browse attachments.

Paul

LiroyvH

Good,
then the paths appear to have been your problem :)

PaulP

No, the avatars still aren't working.

If I add a folder to Avatars folder and put the uploaded avatars in there, they then display both in the selection and in the users profile.

If I select "I have my own pic" and put in the URL and save, I get this error message: Your attachment couldn't be saved. This might happen because it took too long to upload or the file is bigger than the server will allow.

Please consult your server administrator for more information.

And that is using the exact same avatar as in the avatars folder, just on a different site.

If I select "I will upload my own picture" I am getting the same error message. Earlier I was getting "Your upload was successful" but the avatar still wouldn't show.

For some reason, user supplied avatars won't work

Paul

greyknight17

Is the attachments path correct? Use repair_settings.php and  confirm that all the paths listed there are correct especially for attachments. Save the changes. Delete the repair_settings.php file once you are done.

Advertisement: