News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance

Started by sense, February 23, 2009, 03:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sense

The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

I'm getting this error. I'm using SMF 2.0 RC1 for a few days but it just appeared.

I checked cache directory and it was 755. even I chmod it to 777 but nothing changed.

any idea what's happening ?

TommyJoe

If you use CPanel you can change it, at the server, click on the cache directory in your forum root, then change permissions.

Worked for me, I had the exact same thing.

N3RVE

Yes, try to chmod the "cache" directory to the same chmod code the "attachments" dir uses.
Perhaps, 777, 775, 755 :)

See: How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

karlbenson

yeah some hosts don't like people using 777, try 775 or 755 instead.

vitalik82

I have the same problem. I tried chmoding to 777, 755, 775 - nothing! I talked to my hosting provider and they said everything is ok on their end.

This first appeared after I  emptied the file cache, through the maintenance panel in SMF 2.0 RC1.

Please help!

Tyrsson

If you have not been able to change permissions then I would ask your host if the CHOWN is set to the correct user.
PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

vitalik82

Quote from: Tyrsson on March 14, 2009, 08:06:56 AM
If you have not been able to change permissions then I would ask your host if the CHOWN is set to the correct user.

Maybe I described my case incorrectly.

I did successfully change permissions to 777. But it didn't help.

The strange thing is, it all worked fine before I emptied the cache.

Rumbaar

What is currently in your /cache folder?  That was the only change at the time to your forum? and it displayed that error immediately afterwards?
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

vitalik82

Quote from: Rumbaar on March 26, 2009, 07:35:54 PM
What is currently in your /cache folder?  That was the only change at the time to your forum? and it displayed that error immediately afterwards?

There is a bunch of different php files inside.

Yeas it happened immediatly after that.

Rumbaar

So there is actually file inside the /cache directory?   That would indicate to me the folder is writable and SMF is being able to save files to that location.  If it wasn't writable, I would assume after the purge there would be no files within the folder.
"An important reward for a job well done is a personal sense of worthwhile achievement."

[ Themes ]

MilesB

I am having the same problem.  My SMF forum was running greatly for the first week, and then yesterday I started having issues with it loading properly.. I would have to refresh multiple times before it would load.  This morning, I received the Cache Directory is not writable error.  I looked at the cache dir and all the file permissions are chmod'ed to 777.. However, when I tried to switch it to 755, I got this:

Command:   SITE CHMOD 755 cache
Response:   550 Could not change perms on cache: Read-only file system

So.. even though at one point my Cache was set to 777, and their are a plethora of .pHp files in the Cache dir.. did the host come in later and permanently change my file permissions?   Should I contact them? Or should I assume that I will need to purchase a premium hosting plan..?  Why would it work for so long, and then suddenly change?

Thanks in advance!

Rumbaar

@MilesB, I'd suggest having a word to your hosting service.  As it appears they might have to alter or have changed something on there end.

[ Themes ]

MilesB

Thanks for your reply.

My host replied to my service request shortly after I wrote this message.  Apparently their entire service was down today with technical issues.  I logged back in after dinner, and all was fixed!

Dragooon

Quote from: vitalik82 on April 03, 2009, 05:37:37 PM
Quote from: Rumbaar on March 26, 2009, 07:35:54 PM

There is a bunch of different php files inside.

Yeas it happened immediatly after that.
Hello, were you able to get this resolved? If not, then is the cache directory's paths correct in Admin > Server settings > Database and paths?

Tyrsson

QuoteI logged back in after dinner, and all was fixed!

Going to mark this one as solved but if you have any more problems with this issue please reopen the topic :)

Rumbaar

As they aren't the original OP, they'll need to create their own topic if it's still and issue.  This is why it's always recommend for people to create their own topic, as it allows support to be focused better and for the OP to allow to control their current state of issue.

[ Themes ]

Tyrsson

Advertisement: