Opinions needed... making forum more desirable to gain a few members

Started by chrishicks, February 24, 2009, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullbreedluverz

youve resized the width of your forum? its gone from 100% width to fixed width of about 700px

bullbreedluverz

Quote from: chrishicks on February 25, 2009, 09:45:50 AM

It doesn't help I'm guessing that every computer/laptop I have has a widescreen setup.

tell me bout it its a nightmare lol but its good to use a resolution viewer so you can compare what you see on your screen with that of what people with smaller screens see - i found this when i first started out and everyone kept telling me things didnt look right and the edges were all chopped off and im think WTF its perfect lol

what is the theme you are using? is it off this sites theme section?

chrishicks

The only thing I tried real quick was to reduce the width of TP. I just reverted all the changes real quick. This is my view using the res. viewer:

- click to enlarge

I'm just using the default theme. The look is all done is css. I found it way back when I first started the site and just applied it and messed with font colors after.

bullbreedluverz

well the layyout looks ok now but you really do need a logo for your site

can you zip and attatch a copy of your;

themes/default/

index.template.php
boardindex.template.php
display.template
style.css

themes/default/languages

modifications.english

and you images folder

just so i can have a play with something on my 1.1.8 test site

chrishicks

Yep, just give me time to eat breakfast and such and I'll get them all ready to go. 

bullbreedluverz

in regards to your shoutboxes theres a famous quote by some former president of america, his name was lincoln or something like that  :P

"You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time"

which is kind of a motto as forums go - you will never please everyone and although we can try sometimes we have to go 1 way or another - i would go for 1 or the other rather than having 1 that seems to be getting used by most the people than 1 that is only used by a handfull

let your members decide do they want the simplified 1 or the more flashier 1 - do a poll

chrishicks

Completely off topic but I'm not sure where to ask this. I went to login to my forum and I got nothing. I hit cpanel to check server status and its fine. I do some looking around and I run into a complete freak out moment. All of my databases are gone. The MySQL DB section is completely blank stating no databases/users. I immediately hit MyPHPAdmin and see everything still there so I quickly do backups of everything. Since I have never experienced this what exactly should I be putting check marks into for some of these boxes?

- click to enlarge

bullbreedluverz

think thats a bit different to what i use, can you take a screen shot of the whole screen so i can compare it with mine

chrishicks

I'll have to do it in chunks as it won't all fit in one screen. what pages would you like to see? the main php screen and the rest of the export screen from above? anything else?

bullbreedluverz

its ok just sussed it is the same just you missed a bit off the bottom

if you want to export the DB which is the screen you showed me dont touch no settings on the bit you put in the image

below that it says Save as file with a check box next to it - check that then click go in bottom right

box will come up to save it and to choose save location

bullbreedluverz

have you done any uploading or editing of your forum files since we spoke earlier today?

does anyone else have access to your server?

chrishicks

Yep, I saved them all as gzipped. I made copies of them all already but I wanted to double check in case I missed some other box I was supposed to check. I'd hate to miss something and then go back in 15min. and find out I can no longer get them or something.

Nope, I did make a home directory backup through cpanel which somehow put me over my allowed storage limit so I'm wondering if that caused this. I'm the only one with access.

bullbreedluverz

im not too sure about how some hosts work with storage limits but ive not reached my limit but ive seen around that some host freeze your site if you exceed limits - i would if its possible ring your host or if you cant ring open a support ticket

chrishicks

I did that too. I'm just waiting to see how slow they are to replies since it all has to be done via email to start which sucks. I'm about to look at new hosts now since I have the time. I wasn't close to my limit either until the backup. I was using about 1GB and I'm allowed 2. My backup was 2GB so that shot me way over my limit. I deleted the backup just to get my account "out of the red".

chrishicks

Got your PM. What's funny is that I was looking at his site when I got it. I got it doing a search here. that plan is pretty much what I need more storage thann I have now. The bandwidth is lower but  have never even been close to either one of the limits so that wouldn't bother me at all. Plus it would be reliable which is a huge plus.

bullbreedluverz

extremely reliable in 6 months the only time my sites been offline is when ive ballsed it up lol

chrishicks

So I'm finally back up and "running" but now I'm getting this error quite a bit:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare is_admin() (previously declared in /home/producti/public_html/blogs/freewordpresstheme.info/wp-includes/query.php:40) in home/xxxxx/xxxxxx/forum/Sources/Security.php on line 898

Any idea how to fix that?

EDIT: I see my nav. bar is screwed up too. when you hit the different tabs most of them work but don't show that you clicked them. The tab always shows Home as selected 99% of the time.

Advertisement: