More problems with SMF2 RC1

Started by riker, February 26, 2009, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riker

Well some will remember the membergroup problem (never replied too) I had where the browser would close when I clicked them but now I've noticed another one where the browser will close when I try to use the PM system.

Now those that think this is an OS issue well I was on XP IE7 & 8 but now I'm using Vista 64 and IE7!

karlbenson

I use XP IE7/8.
Its an issue with IE8 RC1 (whether run in emulated ie7 or ie8 mode).

Due to a bug it crashes.
I've had it happen once or twice with different areas (unreplicatable) in smf, but nothing to make me believe its an SMF bug.

I do have it happen though every time i try to download a file off that mega ugly site that is sourceforge.

riker

Quote from: regularexpression on February 26, 2009, 07:40:55 AM
I use XP IE7/8.
Its an issue with IE8 RC1 (whether run in emulated ie7 or ie8 mode).

Due to a bug it crashes.
I've had it happen once or twice with different areas (unreplicatable) in smf, but nothing to make me believe its an SMF bug.

I do have it happen though every time i try to download a file off that mega ugly site that is sourceforge.

Just passing it off as a bug in IE7/8 isn't on though is it considering 90% of the world use it.  You know you will get some paraniod people saying this is a push Firefox campaign

karlbenson

If its IE7 IE7 then it could be a bug. (possibly???)
OR
If you using a beta or release candidate of IE8 (whether running in emulate IE7 or IE8 mode), its most likely to be an IE8 bug.
(there are plenty of memory leaks, crashes, overflows, bugs remaining in IE8 that Microsoft will hopefully fix by the time IE8 gets to final.)

riker

Quote from: regularexpression on February 26, 2009, 08:09:31 AM
If its IE7 IE7 then it could be a bug. (possibly???)
OR
If you using a beta or release candidate of IE8 (whether running in emulate IE7 or IE8 mode), its most likely to be an IE8 bug.
(there are plenty of memory leaks, crashes, overflows, bugs remaining in IE8 that Microsoft will hopefully fix by the time IE8 gets to final.)
As with the other bugs on membergroups this effects IE6,7 & 8.  I just don't understand why SMF wants to sit on this unstead of brigging out a quick fix like others would.  Perhaps it's time to change

karlbenson

SMF isn't sitting on anything.

If its bug in stable versions of IE, then smf MUST be resolve it.
But smf shouldn't fix bugs for unstable non final versions of browsers like IE8 (nor Firefox 3.1 betas)

I'm NOT aware of any documented SMF bug that would crash the browser in IE6, nor IE7 (non-ie8). [(you didn't mention IE6 before which is why I made the destinction between standard IE7 vs emulated IE7 (with IE8). ]

And during my extensive bughunting for smf, I've not come across that issue.

- Version of browser affects (need the exact version number) eg I use IExplorer 7 (7.0.5730.13) (on XP)
I also test with IExplorer 8 RC1(8.0.6001.18372)
- Exact steps to replicate? Replicatable every time?
- Using smf default core theme?
- Any browser add-ons that could cause this, eg like Firebug?

riker

Quote from: regularexpression on February 26, 2009, 10:47:03 AM
SMF isn't sitting on anything.

If its bug in stable versions of IE, then smf MUST be resolve it.
But smf shouldn't fix bugs for unstable non final versions of browsers like IE8 (nor Firefox 3.1 betas)

Once again IE6 & 7 are finals and as my post which contained the problem with the membergroups I've posted an attachment which contains the error while using Vista IE7 (Final)

karlbenson

I think there is a misunderstanding here. I won't bother reiterating/explaining my earlier posts.
Lets just start again.

Does this happen on every smf forum? Eg here?
Are you using any 3rd party scripts on the forum? eg mootools, jquery etc

Strange i did a google search.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927917

Thats saying it shouldn't be happening in IE8 anymore.

riker

Quote from: regularexpression on February 26, 2009, 12:45:56 PM
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I won't bother reiterating/explaining my earlier posts.
Lets just start again.

Does this happen on every smf forum? Eg here?
Are you using any 3rd party scripts on the forum? eg mootools, jquery etc

Strange i did a google search.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927917

Thats saying it shouldn't be happening in IE8 anymore.

It happens on OTHER SMF forums apart from this one yes.

EDIT:

Just registered at someone elses RC1 site I picked randomly from the memberlist here and tried to make a PM

http://s5.tinypic.com/244wtuh.jpg

Shouldn't something simple like this have been tested  ???

I'm seriously going to have start looking for converters from SMF 2.0 because it's going backwards not forwards and there is never a rush to fix screwups like this

karlbenson

Quote from: riker on February 26, 2009, 01:43:16 PM
Shouldn't something simple like this have been tested  ???

Well yes we do test SMF.
I myself have spent dozens of hours testing smf in various browsers, INCLUDING IE6, and never had got your error.
And its a bit disingenuous to the other beta testers and team members who test it regularly.

When you think about the number of people running/using smf, and apply the market share of IE6 / IE7, you would think that alot more people would have be getting this issue.
Having searched around the community I found only 1 other person who also very recently reported the issue.

As was said by someone somewhere on the net, you can't fix what you don't know about, and you can't fix what you can't replicate. But that doesn't mean that we aren't trying to find out the problem, and doesn't mean that anyone is lazy.

Advertisement: