News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Individual Board Access

Started by Zaha, March 04, 2005, 05:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaha

Rather than creating a member group, is it possible to make it so that individual members can be granted the ability to access a specific board?

OvermindDL1

I believe there is a usergroup mod that allows you to define permissions per user, that would probobly do what you want.  It is on one of the package server's in your adminCP.

Oldiesmann

Permissions doesn't have anything to do with it. Board access is determined on a group-by-group basis - you specify which group(s) can access each board and only those members have access to that board.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Zaha

See, the thing is, I want to be able to do that on a member-by-member basis.

Amacythe

Zaha, you must have a small board.  When you have a hundred or more members you will hate having to set each member's permissions.  For now, if you really insist, you can create a different membergroup for each member and assign permissions to that membergroup accordingly.

Zaha

That's the thing - I wanted them all to have the same usergroup name.  Since I couldn't do that, I was wondering if it might be possible to set individual access permissions.

As you can tell then - giving individual usergroups might not work the way I wanted it.

Louis (CSpotkill)

If you wanted many people to have the same membergroup, but let only some access the hidden board, create another membergroup for the hidden board, give it access to the board, and then on a member-by-member basis, select the membergroup in each profile's Account Settings, under Additional Membergroups. (Users can belong to more than one membergroup)
My SMF Mods:

Zaha

Ahhhh!  Now that's a slick idea!

Thanks very much.

Juggler

All well and good but what the member group function removes is the ability to see peoples Ranks based on post count on the message board.

What I was hoping to find is a mod or change that allows the post count ranks to be seen regardless of member group.

Has this been requested or do I need to submit a new request?
The Blue Buzzards
Flying Scooter Display Team
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Amacythe

Just use the additional membergroup option in their profile.  That doesn't show.

Juggler

YES!!

Thanks for that tip. Didn't know about it at all.

* Juggler is happy
The Blue Buzzards
Flying Scooter Display Team
#69 Squadron
www.bluebuzzards.com

Louis (CSpotkill)

Quote from: Amacythe on March 14, 2005, 11:27:50 PM
Just use the additional membergroup option in their profile.  That doesn't show.
I just said that! Damn your clear, one-line sentence! :P
My SMF Mods:

carmelkevlar32

Ok I have a similar problem but I want to set permissions based on sex. Creating new user groups won't work for this unless you can be in more than one usergroup.

Advertisement: