News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Huge Problem

Started by mattchewone, March 01, 2009, 05:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattchewone

Seem to be having a massive problem with the forum. I have tried to install a few mods and keep getting lots of errors on the ....template.php

I have tried Topic Hover mod, and advanced rep and got errors on both.

It seems the whole site is screwed up i really need to fix it. Can i export members and import in to a new fresh database?

Thanks
Matt

timned88

you can always backup your database, create a clean smf installation, restore your database to the new installation, then run repairsettings.php to fix the paths.  sounds complicated; it isn't.

mattchewone

Quote from: timned88 on March 01, 2009, 11:52:31 PM
you can always backup your database, create a clean smf installation, restore your database to the new installation, then run repairsettings.php to fix the paths.  sounds complicated; it isn't.

My dad has said he tried this and the repairsettings did nothing.

timned88

you have to click the recommended settings links under each path...   also making sure the database information, etc. are correct.
did you do all that?  i have moved my forum 4 times and made numerous clones for testing and never had a problem.

mattchewone

When you go to > Current Theme >

are you meant to see the default theme there? As all i can see is the YaBB, Babylon & SilentWave. Should i be seeing the default theme there?

Also if i select the YaBB theme the site crashes.

Antechinus

You should see it under Current Theme but you can't edit it in your admin centre. It must be there or the site wouldn't work at all.

If you aren't worried about trying to save mods and just want the site working again, then get the files for the default theme from the installation pack and use them to overwrite the default theme files that are on your server now. That should be all you need to do.

In future, do not go ahead with installing mods if you get warnings before installation, unless you know exactly what the errors are caused by and how to fix them immediately.

mattchewone

A good friend of mine has solved the avatar problem.

He is going to be looking at why i cant install mods over the next few days.

Is there any reason as to why the site crashes when you select a new theme?

Antechinus

Not sure what the reason is but there would be one. I think the templates are probably incorrectly modified, or possibly the paths to the themes are incorrect. Check the paths first. If they are ok then I'd suggest loading fresh copies of the themes.

mattchewone

Quote from: Antechinus on March 04, 2009, 08:50:45 PM
Not sure what the reason is but there would be one. I think the templates are probably incorrectly modified, or possibly the paths to the themes are incorrect. Check the paths first. If they are ok then I'd suggest loading fresh copies of the themes.

Im still quite new to this so could you please suggest how i could check the paths, and if necessary how i could load fresh copies.

Many Thanks

greyknight17

Is this issue resolved yet?

To check the paths, go to Admin > Themes and Layout > Themes and Settings tab and click on the theme in question.

By loading a fresh copy, I assume you mean the entire forum? If so, just download the large upgrade package for your version of SMF and then extract the files. Upload them to your SMF directory and overwrite all the files there. It will wipe out all your mods (if you have any installed) but will not affect your posts or members.

Advertisement: