Simple Image Upload

Started by Sium, March 02, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sium

Link to Mod

This is a very simple alternative to attachment mod. It works only with images and allows users to quickly add images to posts. All images are stored on third party image hosting service and bbcode for images is automatically inserted in posts when users upload images. Thumbnails are automatically created on image hosting server. This mod is very easy to install and very easy to use.

More options and language settings are available here: http://imgbb.com/mod [nofollow]

Powered by Image Hosting [nofollow]
Image Hosting [nofollow] - Simple Image Upload Mod [nofollow]

cepsi

very nice lil mod i like this alot! :D
One idea maybe to add an image/icon to click instead of the text?

sheryltoo

I love this mod. Thanks for making it work with RC1.
Sheryl

anakmacan

It doesnt work on my site, after uploading, it has redirect error.

Not Found

The requested URL /forum/suara-warga/tampilan-and-tulisan-binprof-kekecilan/addform.html was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

shumilica

I think you did like me, you manually installed the mod and forgot to upload from the mods zip file the addform.html file to forums directory (route directory of the forum, not in themes or anything else!)
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

anakmacan

i didnt forget uploading it, but i think i know whats wrong.. it didnt work because my forum use simpleportal and prettyurl. I dont know how to modify it to make it works though :p

shumilica

hmm, maybe you can hack a little bit, make the directories that the erros says it is in :)
make  these directories under forum directory:
suara-warga/tampilan-and-tulisan-binprof-kekecilan/
and put in the las one the html file :)
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

sheryltoo

I use Simple portal and it works find on my forum.
Sheryl

AlenNS

I'm getting notifications about changes of this mod, but mod is still in 1.1.0 version.
Is there any changes or not? :)

willerby

Fantastic mod. My members have always had real trouble with the BBCode and even the attach file option...

Great work. Step by step.
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

mirahalo

sounds interesting... Ill try it and see...

thanks !!

haito

nice mod~
thanks sium for the mod~
www.japanesia.co.id | Portal Berita & Komunitas Untuk Kamu yang Suka Jepang

willerby

Sium,

One issue with dumb users. They upload their latest photo from their super-gigapixel camera and although the thumbnail is great, when you click on it the image host service downloads the entire image before resizing to fit the screen. Even with broadband this can impact on user experience.  I've asked my users to resize before they post (but its too complicated for their non-technical brains!) so is there an alternative?

Is there any way of auto resizing on upload - say 1024 wide? or getting the image host to only download a medium sized image rather than the main file?

Just a thought...great mod

Sium

Quote from: willerby on March 13, 2009, 11:22:48 AM
Sium,

One issue with dumb users. They upload their latest photo from their super-gigapixel camera and although the thumbnail is great, when you click on it the image host service downloads the entire image before resizing to fit the screen. Even with broadband this can impact on user experience.  I've asked my users to resize before they post (but its too complicated for their non-technical brains!) so is there an alternative?

Is there any way of auto resizing on upload - say 1024 wide? or getting the image host to only download a medium sized image rather than the main file?

Just a thought...great mod

Auto resizing released! Example: http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gx2ozQ6r [nofollow]
Image Hosting [nofollow] - Simple Image Upload Mod [nofollow]

willerby

I didn't see an upgrade to the mod so checked your image link which loaded up in scaled size. Went back to my forum and tried some super large images that had already been uploaded and they go straight to the reduced scale image too.

I assume you have fixed this from the image host end without any need for mod upgrade. If so - fantastic! Thanks Sium.

Best forum image upload solution out there

W

willerby

Having used this great mod for a few weeks, really impressed. Users love it.

One member in Mynamar (Burma) reports that the Government there has blocked the local ISPs from accessing the postimage.org hosting service so the images don't appear at all. Something to do with restrictions on images that they don't want there population to see.

Shame, but not much you or I can do about that.

Harvester

im not exactly sure what this does? any way i can see it in action?

willerby

1. When they post a new topic or reply users will now see this little bit of text...

2. When users want to insert an image that is stored on their computer, they click this link, a popup will appear where they can select the image from their folders and add a description to that image (the description is optional):

3. They click "upload it", the image is uploaded and is automatically inserted in their post (it may appear as a code link but when they post it will show as an image)

4. They click "submit" to submit post and a thumbnail of the image appears in the post.

Best of all, they don't have to resize their image as its not hosted on your server but someone elses and its automatically resized for viewing.

The effect is a medium sized thumbnail appears in the post with a 'plus' sign on it to encourage users to click to enlarge. The postimage hosting service then opens up and resizes the image to fit their screen size - they can enlarge to original size from there if they wish.

Simple tool. My users love it (but they're generally older less techy guys)

W

Harvester

it does sound great.. My only concern is that I have noticed that quite often 3rd party hosts arent too reliable and I end up with red x's from images that were deleted by the user or arent showing because of bandwidth quotas or whatever.

Is there anyway to make this mod so that the users images are uploaded to my server? Id rather host all the images and know they are going to be there for years to come as some of the posts on my site would be useless without their images.

SABO

hi
newbie, little confused.   maybe someone can help.
exactly how do you install this mod.
thanks so much

Advertisement: