News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Simple Image Upload

Started by Sium, March 02, 2009, 12:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomW

I have now lost some images that were uploaded; I now only have the thumbs. Pity; it was a great mod.  Unfortunately I have not found another mod that is simple yet is also stable  :( for uploading images.

Sium

Hello. Soon to be stable. We test the new software and hardware solutions
Image Hosting [nofollow] - Simple Image Upload Mod [nofollow]

YogiBear

Hi Sium,

One of the images on our forum of a landscape has suddenly been removed by the host and another which I posted has been replaced by something totally inappropriate in that we are an adult site but the replacement picture although perfectly acceptable for family viewing is forbidden by any responsibly run mature forum here in the UK.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

ModelBoatMayhem

Quote from: Sium on October 24, 2009, 03:31:14 PM
Hello. Soon to be stable. We test the new software and hardware solutions
Great News!  :)

That's my firm opinion.... but what do I know?!

StarHawk

Hi,

I'm using "Simple Image Upload" MOD and I have problems. A few days ago I upload one picture with size 640x480, because that size is good for my forum. Today I'm trying to upload the same picture form my computer, I'm resizing the picture again to 640x480 and the result is small picture, which needs to be clicked to view the big picture which size is 640x480.

I'm attaching the situation and the source for both images is

Can someone help with that?

ModelBoatMayhem

It's just a crap hosting service.....
That's my firm opinion.... but what do I know?!

StarHawk

It's very useful MOD for me and the members in my forum. That's why I want to fix that problem. The size 640x480 is compatible with my forums theme and looks good.

Astra_200

Resizing is not working, just small thumbnails posted on my forum.

This service has been a bit flaky at times but always gets fixed, however this time the problem remains longer than I would have liked.

Is there a fix to this please?

hellboy78

my simple image uploader doesn't work anymore!!!!!!

Astra_200

One more go at getting a reply. Is the mod developer still around?

Is it something I've done why only thumbnails are posted rather than resized images?

Buschiq

Last week has been all trouble with this mod, first disappearing images and now lots and lots of sex videos and sex images above the pictures. I removed it today, my members were very offended.

Shame, it has worked fine for us before this  :(

City Builder

When I first tried this it was extremely unreliable.  However as of late it's been working great for us.  I've not seen these adverts for sex images or videos when i view images that we uploaded to the site but maybe that is because we always check mark the family safe button instead of the adult content button or leaving both unchecked.  I don't know if that causes the adverts or not but none are showing for us when we view the images we have stored on their servers.

The moment somebody reports sexual content on the same display as the images they view that people post to our gaming website is the moment it is removed from our site.  We have a family safe and family fun gaming site and that sort of thing can't be tolerated when dealing with children as a small percentage of our members.

Thanks for revealing what you've found, I'll certainly be keeping an eye on them to watch for any adult oriented stuff and remove this mod if that is the case.

Astra_200

City Builder, are your images resized properly or are you seeing just thumbnails which you have to click to see larger pics in new window?

Maybe the way it works has changed, we used to be able to rezise the image on upload and it would show the pic size you selected on the thread itself rather than just the thumbnail??

No problems with adult stuff appearing or missing images here though. That is not good for family sites.

I have emailed Postimage, no reply.

City Builder

Well, I've just always assumed that the only way it works is that they give the code for a clickable thumbnail as when I choose the option to resize, they do resize it, but it still displays a thumbnail image on my forum that is clickable to a resized image.  Seems that it resizes the images properly though when I view the clicked full size image.

I was unaware that it was supposed to actually display the resized image in my forum message, just thought it should alwasy be a thumbnail as that's what I always choose when ever I post to other peoples forums and am going to post an image from places like photobucket or that other site that the name eludes me for the moment.

Astra_200

Quote from: City Builder on December 01, 2009, 07:58:32 AM
Well, I've just always assumed that the only way it works is that they give the code for a clickable thumbnail as when I choose the option to resize, they do resize it, but it still displays a thumbnail image on my forum that is clickable to a resized image.  Seems that it resizes the images properly though when I view the clicked full size image.

Hmmm thats interesting, up until about 3 weeks ago the size that members chose to upload appeared directly on the forum in that size, I usually advised members to use 640 x480 (For message boards)

Now I'm confused. especially with over 5000 downloads of this mod, I was expecting a few more posts like mine to show up.
It looks like Star Hawks post above highlights what I'm saying.

Can somebody please confirm what this mod is supposed to do, and has it changed its operation in the last few weeks? All the research I have done seems to point to thumbnails only, but I can assure you we were posting resized images direct on to the forum

PS City Builder, were you thinking of Flickr?

City Builder

No, it was imageshack.  But I almost completely stopped using them when they turned to pop under ad windows.  Now I might use them only once in 1000

TomW

This mod originally hosted images on the PostImage servers, and later the code was modified to use ImagShack for non-adult images.  In that case, the SMF posts had a url link to Postimage, which in turn linked to ImageShack.  Too many hops IMO; I am migrating to an image hosting service on my own servers (either SMF Media Gallery or Gallery2).  This eliminates the problem of someone else's server crashing or the servers purging the images for reasons unknown.

I used this mod on my forum as it was very simple to upload images for the technically disadvantaged.  However the servers haven't been reliable enough, plus several of the images are GONE, even though the thumbnails are still there.  Therefore I turned off this feature.  Now, each day, I manually move a few images from PostImage servers that still exist.  For images that no longer exist, I e-mail the forum member and request that they e-mail me their files.  Eventually all will be moved to a stable environment.  Lesson learned !

YogiBear

For some while now, this Mod has been working like a dream. We've somehow become tagged onto the French version but if that's what it takes for it to be stable then fine.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

Baja4Ems

Trying to find the links to add to my forum, Simple Image Upload 1.1.0   &   Iteggrated Lightbox 1.6 also Ajaxchat Integration. Can anyone give this newbie some hints??

clayscottbrown

This is a very simple alternative to attachment mod. It works only with images and allows users to quickly add images to posts. All images are stored on third party image hosting service and bbcode for images is automatically inserted in posts when users upload images. Thumbnails are automatically created on image hosting server. This mod is very easy to install and very easy to use.

O:)

funny that simple machines here doesn't have this particular mod up.  it would be faster...

if you can simple machines could you buy the company in question, they've just made some money.

congrats: postimage.org

B2EVOLUTION:

STUFF
Clay Scott Brown

http://www.clayscottbrown.biz/clayscottbrown/index.php

ICQ NUMBER:

EMAIL ADDRESS:
[email protected]

Advertisement: