News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

2 Forums, 1 Memberdatabase, 2 Problems, Need Help please!

Started by Angelotus, March 05, 2009, 04:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelotus

Hello,
I have 2 forums installed.
1st. located at http://www.weeklyfun.nl/forum (SMF 2.0 Beta 3.1)
2nd. located at http://premium.weeklyfun.nl/forum (SMF 2.0 RC1)
I have edited all sources files of the second forum so that I use only one membersdatabase.
I am running into 2 problems:
Problem 1. I can't login on the 2nd forum. I get the message: Please Try again...etc
Problem 2. SSI.php doesn't work well anymore. I have edited SSI the same way as I did the sources files. Using SSI.php gives the message: No database selected.
What to do to solve both problems?

Angelotus

ThorstenE

Quote from: Angelotus on March 05, 2009, 04:26:24 AM
I have edited all sources files of the second forum so that I use only one membersdatabase.
Can you explain your changes a bit more? I think it's a typo or you missed some edits. You have to change all {db_prefix}members and {db_prefix}sessions with your custom prefix for the other board (and in ALL SMF files).

Angelotus

These are the edits I made:

1. all files in my Sources directory of my second forum I replaced all {db_prefix} for forum_  on these tables:
    a. members
    b. membergroups
    c. calendar
    d. log_online
    e. pm_reciptiens and all other pm related tables
    f. sessions
    g. all attachment tables, because I want to centralize these as well!

2. I did this also with my SSI.php

3. I have edited the settings so that the avatar/attachment urls are the same as the main forum and used the same settings for persistant connection to the db (for using SSI). I did this first through the admin panel, but it keeps setting it self off everytime, so I manually edited settings.php. Now SSI almost works flawlessly, but it sometimes still says: no database connection, but that much as before.

So, the 3 problems now are:

1) Login doesn't work. It keeps getting errors
2) Uploading an avatar doesn't work from the second site.
3) SSI doesn't work well, sometimes there is no db connection, while it should be!

There are also other minor problems, but so far I can manage to solve them myself.

H

Sorry for the slow response. Do you still require assistance with this? :)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Angelotus

Yes, I do need some assistant with these problems.
The database connection is a bit solved, it does work more proper than before, but sometimes it still occurs.

The other problems I still have.
- Login, it doesn't work from the second forum, so currently I redirect the login to the first forum
- Uploading avatar doesn't work fine (just as for other attachments), so I currenly disabled that option. Avatars choosen from the server does work, but not uploading and remoted hosted avatars

ThorstenE

attachments / avatars: sharing the attachments table may be a bigger problem.. all attachments get a unique ID_MSG, this assigns an attachment to a unique message. with two forums you have more than one message with the same ID_MSG.

the login issue: do you use the same login cookie (cookie name) for both forums? you should enable the checkbox for subdomain independent cookies.

Angelotus

Quote from: TE on April 06, 2009, 01:30:55 PM
attachments / avatars: sharing the attachments table may be a bigger problem.. all attachments get a unique ID_MSG, this assigns an attachment to a unique message. with two forums you have more than one message with the same ID_MSG.

the login issue: do you use the same login cookie (cookie name) for both forums? you should enable the checkbox for subdomain independent cookies.

- Attachments: ok, that explains alot. Thanks
- Login: yes, I have set everything the same as the first boards in the correct settings, cookies, checkboxes etc.

Advertisement: