News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Session issues? Unusable forum :( ... fixed... (for now?)

Started by ElvenCat, March 09, 2009, 07:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElvenCat

I recently upgraded from 1.8 to 2.0 RC1. Everything worked perfectly. Added Simple Portal 2.1.1 and SMF Gallery. Everything continued to work perfectly.

Until it didn't.

It began with the avatars. (At least mine, a custom uploaded one. Couldn't tell ya what anyone else is seeing. I keep odd hours and there's no forum member I can get ahold of right now.) It started displaying as a broken image. I went to admin and looked at the directory; it was set properly. I tried changing the directory, and it returned a blank page.

In the process of trying to figure that out, I decided to try logging out. Something I had already done several times switching around to see how things were displaying on a non-admin account (that all worked perfectly too). But now, just a blank screen came up. Exited and re-opened the browser and tried again. Now it came up with "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again." Well, that's all well and good, but that's exactly what I'm trying to do when I get the error. I tried another browser. Blank page again. Restarted it... still a blank page. 

Figured hey, I should post a note for forum users that I know there appears to be an issue, and to bear with me while I beat my head against the wall... I can't post either. I get the following message: "The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message. "

Ohhh someone please tell me there is a simple explaination for this, like the planets were aligned just right at the time I tried and it which sent out something to all computer servers and made them wonky for a short time and that when next I look again, all will work perfectly again. Or, failing that, tell me how to fix it.

forum is at: http://www.gatheringoflaurelin.com [nofollow]

*sigh* and yes, I did back everything up first. But I don't wanna go back. It was so nice for a few hours

ElvenCat

Gahh! And now, even though I can't actually log out, I can't get into admin either, since it won't take my password to verify I am, indeed, me.

...hmm.... which something seems to have at least logged me out, in that particular browser, perhaps not being able to verify my identity going into admin? But I get nothing but a blank page if I try to log in now.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I have no real ideas on this, sorry, but I did notice the url is carrying a php sessid all the time...
It seems strange to me, has it always done that?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ElvenCat

No, it didn't, now that you mention it.

...and just as suddenly as it stopped working, it started working again? Maybe I wasn't so far off with the alignment of the planets  ???

Well... huh. I'll still take ideas if anyone knows how to prevent this... randomness... in the future.

(for the record, checked a test forum I have on the same server, at the time this was still broken, and it worked just fine. Same mods and all)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You might want to check your error logs (both the forums and the servers) if they would shed any light on this...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ElvenCat

Ah hah... so that's what those error logs are for. I should think of such things. Maybe if I got around to sleeping at some point... Looks like it's something to do with the simple portal php arguing with display.php, and a few others, about modifying header information. Still no idea why it cropped up that way, but at least it's something to look at.

Pardon me while I go beat my head on the desk.

But thank you for taking the time to take a look!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: ElvenCat on March 09, 2009, 08:20:21 AM
Pardon me while I go beat my head on the desk.

But thank you for taking the time to take a look!

Don't be too hard on yourself :)

And you're welcome.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ElvenCat

Quote from: LexArma on March 09, 2009, 08:43:05 AM
Don't be too hard on yourself :)

Ohh, wouldn't be so bad, but I've been using SMF for years, and it seems the longer I use it, the less I'm able to figure it out, heh  ::)

dreadk

I just wanted to add that I had this problem this morning when I logged in.

I made a backup of my SMF_Session sql entry and than emptied it (not dropped)

Fixed everything.

Advertisement: