News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Restricting nested quotes.

Started by Antechinus, March 15, 2009, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

I would like someone to write a mod that will restrict the number of nested quotes when nested quotes are enabled.

They are useful to have in running discussions but a lot of people wont remove superfluous nested quotes and just keep hitting the quote button. This results in threads filled with useless quotes, which in turn makes for a lot of scrolling and for increased database loads.

A mod that would restrict them to three (or whatever) would be very handy. Now this can be done simply by using the   display: none;   property of css, but although this handles the visual side of things it does not deal with the database.

This is important, because if people keep hitting the quote button the thread will look fine, but all the unseen nested quotes will still be called from the db. On a large site this can make for quite a bit of load, as well as increasing the storage space required.

So, what is required is a mod that will call only the selected number of nested quotes from the database. This is obviously not a job for a minor css change.

If anyone feels like tackling this I think it would be a worthwhile addition to the mod site.  :)

WhiteJC

this is a good idea, did anyone do this?

Kindred

there was one... it has since been removed from the mod list
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: