Basic function missing

Started by depth, March 17, 2009, 08:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

depth

Hi SMF team

Firstly, I use SMF for my forum now, I tried many of the rivals, and they are miles behind. So keep up the good work.

However, I can not undertand why there is not an "active topics" solution integrated as standard which can be displayed above the forum index so when you visit the homepage, the user instantly sees what topics are hot at the moment.

When I was looking for the right community software for my site, I almost didged SMF because this feature was missing. Fortunally, I posted in the support forums and I received instant help and the problem was solved. That was fantastic...

IMO this is a standard feature for a active community forum and almost all the forums i frequently visit has this.

Just my 2 cents...

ATB

Christian

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, this is just an opinion as well, nothing more...

But I just had to test this on a phpbb board, to see what you are talking about :),
and well, I think the function is basically the same as SMF's action=unread and action=unreadreplies with the little difference, that the phpbb active topics list shows the active topics wether you have read them or not. Am I right?

For almost that effect, you can see action=recent on SMF, even though that only shows the recent posts, not threads... But for more options you can always get a modification like Recent posts & topics extensions .

And even more, SMF does have the built in ability to show recent posts direcly on the index -page, and the number of posts shown depends on an admin setting made per theme.

I can easily see an "Active topics" -list as a modification, but I personally don't see the need for it as a default option.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: