News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moving forum database problem

Started by ekfaysal, April 07, 2009, 06:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekfaysal

hello guys
i wanna move from my webhost.
already installed smf forum there,,
now my sql file is about 25 mb..
tried with phpmyadmin but that cannot transfer over 200 kb.
then tried with bigdump but its giivng me stange error

anybody plase check here is the url
**REMOVED**

Edit: Removed link. Posting links to your database, or that can change your site around is a dangerous thing. - Motoko-chan

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, don't share that link in public! Remove it at once for your own safety!

And then, tell me what the error is you are getting, and what are you trying to do exactly? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ekfaysal

Oh sorry for that.. i couldnt realize..
i tried bigdump
everything worked fine.. i mean bigDump comleted successfully
but my forum's  DB is still not loaded.. i cant see my members and topics etc..
please

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If it completed succesfully, make sure your forum is set to use the newly imported database :) Check with phpmyadmin for example, I'm guessing you now have 2 different smf databases, and your forum is using the wrong one. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

ekfaysal

no i m using the righth database.. i have already checked

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Then do check that the backup actually has messages and members in it.
Download it to your computer, and open it with an editor like notepad++
Then compare the contents of the backup, with the contents of your database,
and see if they really match.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ekfaysal

already checked.. i cant understand ... there r so much things out there..
i mean i have no experience regarding these ....

ekfaysal

cannot sort out problem.. anybody ... please help... even i tried 10 times but not working...

ekfaysal

post edited..
:D

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Go to server settings in your old forum and see what is the prefix of your database, is it smf_ or backup_smf_ ? I think so that your SMF at the new host is taking smf_ while it should be backup_smf_

Use repair_settings.php to check other database details. What is repair_settings.php?

Also, i suggest you to remove the URL from the picture:- http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=303433

it discloses much of it.. :P

EDIT:-
I just sneekinly downloaded your database and it seems it is not fully backed up. Take the backup from your control panel of the hosting site OR ZIP/GZIP the database you are saving.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on April 07, 2009, 07:53:02 PM
EDIT:-
I just sneekinly downloaded your database and it seems it is not fully backed up. Take the backup from your control panel of the hosting site OR ZIP/GZIP the database you are saving.
And this comes to show exactly why I warned not to give the url to public - and furthermore, after you are done with the importing be sure to remove it from your public folders!
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Just remove the screenie someone... It can be harmful.. We spotted the problem though, so lets carry on safely.. ;)

ekfaysal

prefix of both new and old forums is smf_

I installed new forum again with prefix backup_smf_
tried through restore_backup.php
worked fine.. completed..
but it showed only the categeries... its not showing posts topics members etc..
i beleive my PHPMYADMIn isnt creating good backup..
everytime i tried creating backup, the database size is different like sometimes it is 20mb then 24 mb
then 15 mb ....
I cannot backup through forum maintanance as well...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could try doing the backup through phpmyadmin in parts, it's possible that phpmyadmin is limited by memory, php-settings, etc...

Or you could try a script like Adminiature to create the backup.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ekfaysal

i dont know how to do it in parts..
trying this Adminiature

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I myself have used the stable version succesfully in the past. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

ekfaysal

im trying but after login it shows me blank page only......  :( :( :(

Pentaxian

I used MySQLDumper (http://www.mysqldumper.de/en/) with success. Use the program to download from your original server as well as to upload to your new server. Site is in English and in German (without the "/en").

ekfaysal

em trying that MySQLDumper now
wish me luck..

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Is this issue solved? Or someone marked it solved bymistake? Seems the OP hasnt finished the work..?

Advertisement: