News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Global notification automatic email out to new post

Started by Captain Kaos, April 09, 2009, 01:14:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Kaos

I know you can set this in profile
can this be done globally form admin side ?
we are a small forum of 10 members and no matter what is posted we want all to be emailed
or does this has to be set in each profile ?

I thought i seen it in admin some where, but cant find it ????? i may be wrong

Forum version: SMF 1.1.8
Great forum software Thanks guys
Captain Kaos
© 2009 Kaos.Inc [nofollow]
Powered by Mac OSX
-----------------------------------
"There are no stupid Questions"
Only stupid people that don't ask them !!!!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Admin Panel --> Member Options --> [Under the theme you are using, choose :- Change current options for all members using this theme]

Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. (Change) and tick it.

Captain Kaos

Flamer
did what i need
thanks heaps mate
Captain kaos
Captain Kaos
Powered by Mac OSX

SFD

Hello,

I also would like to be able as admin to let all members of the forum be notified about all posts and replies to the forum. And I have enabled the 'Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic' option, as described above.

However, I have the feeling that this means that people get notified ONLY about replies to topics to which they have already posted themselves.

But what I am looking for is that, by default, they get notified about simply ALL posts and replies made by ANY person to ANY board in the forum.

Is this possible as well? Or do I misunderstand something here?

Thanks for your help!

Fabian

Captain Kaos

Captain Kaos
Powered by Mac OSX

Henrys212

I am unable to locate where I can select the option to Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. I upgraded to the latest version. Can someone please guide me through the steps. also this q is unrelated to this subject but if I download a Mod how do I get it to use it in my forum?

razter

We are also trying to do this. Has anyone figured it out yet? If so, please share. Thanks.

drool

a got this from a member and used it

here a  code that you can force notify members by group --> board --> topic

<?php

$group_id 
= isset($_GET['group']) ? (int) $_GET['group'] : null;
$board_id = isset($_GET['board']) ? (int) $_GET['board'] : null;
$topic_id = isset($_GET['topic']) ? (int) $_GET['topic'] : null;

//if(!isset($group_id) || !isset($board_id) || !isset($topic_id))
if(!isset($group_id) || !isset($board_id))
echo 'You need to specify the group id and board id in the url like: notify.php?group=10&board=8&topic=1 if the group you want to have all existing members notified for has an id of 10, and the board\'s id is 8.';
else {

//  Database connectio here....

// Change to a proper MySql format

$q mysql_query("SELECT id_member, additional_groups
FROM smf_members
WHERE FIND_IN_SET('"
.$group_id."', additional_groups)");

while ($row mysql_fetch_assoc($q)){
$members[] = $row['id_member'];
}

mysql_free_result($q);

foreach($members as $member)
{
if ($board_id){
$q mysql_query("REPLACE INTO smf_log_notify(id_member, id_board) VALUES($member$board_id)");
echo ' ID_MEMBER '$member' has been inserted successfully in the board.<br />';
}
if ($topic_id){
$q mysql_query("REPLACE INTO smf_log_notify(id_member, id_topic) VALUES($member$topic_id)");
echo ' ID_MEMBER '$member' has been inserted successfully in the topic.<br />';
}
mysql_free_result($q);
}

?>

this code on the top level will automatically notify a new topic has been posted on a board
and a new reply has been posted on a specific topic.

by default your mail should be activated
and this

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on April 16, 2009, 08:58:28 PM
Admin Panel --> Member Options --> [Under the theme you are using, choose :- Change current options for all members using this theme]

Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic. (Change) and tick it.

this is just the basic...you can do the enhancements...  :D

rbenchetrit

Hi All, I am using SMF 1.1.7 (yes, I know, I need to upgrade 1.1.12)

I too would like to register my users for global email notifications.  However, I can't seem to find the suggested menu options "Admin Panel --> Member Options -->  [Under the theme you are using, choose :- Change current options for all members using this theme] "

Is it under a different menu option in 1.1.7?

Thanks,
Ron

dkpeppard

I realize this is a very old post, but it includes information I need assistance with. I am currently running 2.0.5. I have gone into Admin -> Features and Options -> Configuration -> Themes and Layouts -> Member Options, then 'Change current options for all members using this theme'. I scroll down to the option 6th from the bottom: 'Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic'. I change the drop down to 'Change', then tick the box to enable the option, but it doesn't appear the option stays after I click Save. When I go back in to check, the default setting is still in place; 'Don't Change' and the check box is grayed out.

I have tried changing this several times. What am I doing wrong where I cannot set this option, please?

Any help would be much appreciated. I really want to enable this option for our user group.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Arantor

You're not doing it wrong, that's how it's supposed to be.

The idea is that you change it and it goes and updates preferences for everyone. Since it's a preference you can't have it showing a single given value; the whole 'don't change' thing literally means 'don't change the value of this for everyone right now'. It's not particularly intuitive, granted, but you're not doing it wrong.

dkpeppard

Quote from: Arantor on August 20, 2013, 09:19:51 PM
You're not doing it wrong, that's how it's supposed to be.

The idea is that you change it and it goes and updates preferences for everyone. Since it's a preference you can't have it showing a single given value; the whole 'don't change' thing literally means 'don't change the value of this for everyone right now'. It's not particularly intuitive, granted, but you're not doing it wrong.

Ok, so basically because I ticked the setting, I should be good to go now.

Thank you very much for getting back to me and letting me know. Thank you.

Arantor

Note that it only affects the current setting of users - i.e. it resets whatever they had before, which is why everything is set to 'don't change'.

You will need to also set the value in the other part of the Member Options page for guests and new users to set it the same way for everyone who joins in future.

dkpeppard

Quote from: Arantor on August 20, 2013, 09:43:40 PM
Note that it only affects the current setting of users - i.e. it resets whatever they had before, which is why everything is set to 'don't change'.

You will need to also set the value in the other part of the Member Options page for guests and new users to set it the same way for everyone who joins in future.

Oh, thank you! I had not thought of that. I just changed the setting for guests and new users as well.

Thank you again! :)

legoschmego

I'm confused by this thread because it seems two separate things are being discussed:
1) Global notification automatic email out to new post
Best expressed by SFD who said But what I am looking for is that, by default, they [all members*] get notified about simply ALL posts and replies made by ANY person to ANY board in the [whole] forum.
2) Details about a theme default setting:  'Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic'
I'm interested in the first goal. I'm running 2.0.5 and have a mod installed called SMF Notify Group. Yet i have to go in each thread and specify which users/groups get notified. I've enabled it for each board, but still users aren't getting emailed, until I go into each thread and specify them. Is there a setting/hack to achieve 1) ?
Thanks!!

*there are 15 or so total users in my forum

Kindred

no no no no no no no

this will NEVER be a setting in SMF.
If a user wants to be notified of new posts, they need to specifically request notifications from each and every board.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Aside from the not-hammering-your-server aspect, there is the small matter of legal compliance involved.

dkpeppard

Quote from: Arantor on November 16, 2013, 09:08:34 AM
Aside from the not-hammering-your-server aspect, there is the small matter of legal compliance involved.

What legal compliance?

As for 'not hammering my server', as the Administrator making the change for my users, I would be the one considering the overhead I may be causing by enabling notifications by default, would I not? I agree turning notifications on for a large/busy site by default may not be the best idea unless I had a robust environment, but again, as the Administrator, wouldn't I take my environment into consideration before making such a change?

I too only have a small number of users on my forums. ~25. We don't have high traffic either. Many are not very tech savvy, so I want to make sure they are seeing the notifications when they are posted.

Arantor

There are laws in place now about sending emails in bulk in most countries about preventing spam. It is for this reason there is no option (and never will be) for opting users in like that.

dkpeppard

Quote from: Arantor on November 16, 2013, 11:33:21 AM
There are laws in place now about sending emails in bulk in most countries about preventing spam. It is for this reason there is no option (and never will be) for opting users in like that.
I see. I can understand that. I wonder if there is a law like that in the US for people who run their own forums.

Anyway, I also realize the notification setting is an 'educational'  one to my users, and perhaps something I could put together in an automated welcome message or something as well.

Arantor

QuoteI wonder if there is a law like that in the US for people who run their own forums.

Yes, yes there is. Look up the CAN-SPAM act.

As for the educational aspect, you could always use the newsletter feature. This complies with the CAN-SPAM act's requirements by way of the opt-out functionality and because it's not an automated procedure (notifying users of new posts is automatic, newsletters have to be handled manually)

dkpeppard

Quote from: Arantor on November 16, 2013, 11:43:55 AM
QuoteI wonder if there is a law like that in the US for people who run their own forums.

Yes, yes there is. Look up the CAN-SPAM act.

As for the educational aspect, you could always use the newsletter feature. This complies with the CAN-SPAM act's requirements by way of the opt-out functionality and because it's not an automated procedure (notifying users of new posts is automatic, newsletters have to be handled manually)

Ok, cool. Thanks for the info, Arantor. :)

Advertisement: