How to give members their own site....

Started by Bec, March 23, 2009, 11:01:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bec

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering how I would go about giving my members a website of their own off mine?

I run a bridal website and I know there are a lot that offer their members the ability to have their own website branching off to share their weddings with family and friends and I am just wondering how I can implement something like this.

This site offers exactly what I want to just for one example, but trying to think how to incorporate it into mine and having the backend setup so that they just go in and enter their data... has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers!

KahneFan

I'm not sure with SMF, but if you were to use a program such as Drupal, members can create their own blogs, their own pages, their own albums... many different things.
#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

bosmolskate

I dont think SMF supports such features.

Bec

Thanks TE, not exactly what I was thinking about but thanks for posting it! Doesnt look bad at all for something else!

Thanks guys new it wasn't something SMF specifically did just though there might be some sort of software I could bridge up to my site which would enable me to do it. Oh well I will continue my search!

Thanks anyways!

Senkusha

Do you run your own server?  If so, you can do what I did for a while, and that is create a subdirectory and then a new subdirectory for each member name.  With a little tweak to the profile page, you can have a new link to that person's web page.

For example, I did the following:
Using SMF v. 2.0 there's an option for custom profile fields (I think, I'm using 1.x again)  Create a check box profile field that only the administrator can see.  "Has Webpage"  Then in the profile template code, you can have a block of code that checks that value and displays the URL to thier site.

Well, that's what I did anyway.  It wasn't too big of a hit.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Bec

Hi Senkusha,

Thanks heaps will look into that! I am running 1.1.8 myself and have the custom profile fields as well :)

Thanks again, appreciate it!

Senkusha

If you require further help, I can cut/paste the code I had in my profile.template.php for my last site that had this functionality.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Senkusha on April 07, 2009, 05:54:01 PM
Do you run your own server?  If so, you can do what I did for a while, and that is create a subdirectory and then a new subdirectory for each member name.  With a little tweak to the profile page, you can have a new link to that person's web page.

For example, I did the following:
Using SMF v. 2.0 there's an option for custom profile fields (I think, I'm using 1.x again)  Create a check box profile field that only the administrator can see.  "Has Webpage"  Then in the profile template code, you can have a block of code that checks that value and displays the URL to thier site.

Well, that's what I did anyway.  It wasn't too big of a hit.

Oh that's so cool!! How do you call the values of those fields? I REALLY want to redo my entire profile template but I've no clue how to call the values of those fields (preferably without the name).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

baygirl

Quote from: Bec on March 23, 2009, 11:01:01 AM
Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering how I would go about giving my members a website of their own off mine?

I run a bridal website and I know there are a lot that offer their members the ability to have their own website branching off to share their weddings with family and friends and I am just wondering how I can implement something like this.

Oh my gosh, Bev.  I've been looking for exactly the same thing. It's driving me crazy that I can't figure this out.  Are you having any luck?  Would appreciate any info if you have.

Jade Elizabeth

I replied to this but it was lost with the server upgrade this morning, so this is what my reply said:

My friend runs a gaming site and he was telling me about this thing called "dynamic sub domains". Basically these allow him to make "sites" for his users, so they can go to username.example.com and see their stuff. He told me he needed a VPS or Dedicated server though....I'm not sure if it was because of the setup OR because his site is very active, and the method requires a lot of resources (or so he says, I have no real idea, having not fully researched it) :).

I found this through Google:
http://www.sslshopper.com/article-should-use-use-dynamic-sub-domains-on-your-site.html
Apparently, Flickr's style is a better option: example.com/username

I think it's a big project. It's not something small or simple, well maybe it is, but I don't think it would be. There seems to be a few Google results for doing it via .htaccess so that could be an option. Maybe ask your host if you can do something?

I wouldnt mind researching this idea, cause I could use it, but if I do it will be on a weekend when I have time and not so much client work :D.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

baygirl

Thank you, Jade Elizabeth.  Hate to say I was hoping this was a simple thing :P  You've given me some places to check out.  I'll let you know if I find out anything.

Jade Elizabeth

Advertisement: