News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Footnotes v1.08 is out!

Started by Nao 尚, April 15, 2009, 04:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rehash D Internet

Thanks for the help, spod.

Rehash D Internet

I've edited the style sheet and it's still faulty.

Nao 尚

Works just fine for me (on your website).
Are you sure you hard-refreshed the page? ;)
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Aeva Media rocks your life.

Rehash D Internet

Positive. I just don't understand why the spacing seems to be so ambivalent.

Nao 尚

Try again. Empty your cache. It works perfectly on Opera on your website.
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Rehash D Internet

When you view the footnotes page on my forum?

Run me through the hard-refresh again, Spod.

Nao 尚

It still doesn't work?
Try with Opera. Now, does it work or not?

LHW

Love this Mod, Nao!  Thank you very much for putting it together!  :D

One question, though...

How would I go about adding a line between the footnotes themselves?  I recently made a post with 31 lengthy footnotes (here), and they all seem to blend together.  I think that having a blank line between them will make it easier to read.  Perhaps an option to add a separating line between them??  ;)

Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind...a [br] at the end of each footnote does the job just as well.  Thanks again!

Nao 尚

Quote from: Essential Knight on May 29, 2009, 12:04:35 AM
Love this Mod, Nao!  Thank you very much for putting it together!  :D
You're welcome.
I was just thinking yesterday, how it's funny that Footnotes is actually more used (and more critically acclaimed) on my noisen.com website than Aeva itself ;)
I made Footnotes in less than an hour, while I worked on Aeva for 3 months.
That's probably linked to the fact that they're very talkative ;)

QuoteHow would I go about adding a line between the footnotes themselves?  I recently made a post with 31 lengthy footnotes, and they all seem to blend together.  I think that having a blank line between them will make it easier to read.  Perhaps an option to add a separating line between them??  ;)
First of all, could you please edit your link out? I would rather not have any religious content linked on threads I'm responsible with. Thanks. Long story.

Not a bad idea per se, but a full line like you did may be too much... A few pixels should be enough. There should be a nice possible tradeoff between no space and a full line. Something that's non-negotiable I mean. Because I'd rather avoid adding settings for the mod -- it should be an easy mod that works out of the box.

Also, I would like to look into adding more typography/newspaper-type features to SMF, just like Footnotes. Anyone interested in sharing ideas?

madinmex

Nao,

I just love this, thank you very much indeed. Sadly, Although rather intelligent, my members are are a bit computer illiterate so have some  explaining ahead !!

Great mod  :D

If you are not egotistical, you will welcome the opportunity to learn more.

Nao 尚

It's just a matter of weeks before your smarter members will start using it daily, like I do ;)
Of course it's only useful if they tend to be living browsers with hyperlinks coming up in their mind every other second...

KensonPlays

1.1.10 is pretty new, does it work for this?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Nao 尚

I guess so... It doesn't touch a lot of lines of code. I'll update the mod page to say it's compatible. If you find it isn't, please post here.

Özgür

Nao are you think add new features on this mod?
I think some new features look good.
You must look at http://elvery.net/drzax/more-things/wordpress-footnotes-plugin/ Im using in my blog http://www.mnyk.net/film/izlenesi-film-rocknrolla/
Referencing and [↩] link should be useable and nice.
So Long

Nao 尚

Lol, wasn't aware of that plugin... It even has the same name as mine but it predates it by two years ;)

The webpage is too long, no time to read it. What's so nice about that one? I'm not willing to add new features just for the sake of completion -- I like keeping my mods small when they're not supposed to be bloated and everything. Too much on my hands with SMG and Aeva already ;)

The only update I'm planning to do so far is to make it compatible with SMF2's Curve theme when it comes out. Currently it doesn't look too good on it.

Özgür

[↩] feature  (i don't know his name :) ) worked like anchors. ;
All footnote description have this link. If you click any footnote (meaning 1 ) you go to 1 description, but if you want to go back your previous line, you must use the scrollbar. But if footnote description have [↩] , and you click it, you go to your previous line(line for 1) in message area.

And Referencing feature is just like add reference. [ref:2] add to 2 meaning; if you want to use one footnote on many location, you can use this.

And all these feature don't need template edit i guess. (:
So Long

Nao 尚

Quote from: [Daydreamer] on September 25, 2009, 08:52:34 PM
[↩] feature  (i don't know his name :) ) worked like anchors. ;
All footnote description have this link. If you click any footnote (meaning 1 ) you go to 1 description, but if you want to go back your previous line, you must use the scrollbar. But if footnote description have [↩] , and you click it, you go to your previous line(line for 1) in message area.
Err... That feature is already in, it has been since day 1 actually. You just click on the number and you're taken back to the original text.

QuoteAnd Referencing feature is just like add reference. [ref:2] add to 2 meaning; if you want to use one footnote on many location, you can use this.
I don't get it...?
You mean adding a footnote that redirects to another footnote in another post/page?

QuoteAnd all these feature don't need template edit i guess. (:
Nothing in Footnotes requires a template edit. Otherwise that wouldn't be fun writing it.

Nao 尚

Hey guys.
I'm currently working on Footnotes 1.03... Actually it's such a huge core update that it might as well be called 2.0, lol :P, and noticed something that bothers me...
When I try nesting [nb] tags within each other, the nested tags (i.e. a footnotes inside a footnote itself) aren't parsed. I'm working on allowing this for v1.03, but the thing is, I seem to remember that they USED to be parsed.
Did anyone try this earlier and discuss it with me? Or am I just imagining things?

Nao 尚

Footnotes v1.03 is out!

+ Added support for nested footnotes. You can now have a footnote inside another footnote (and so on). The footnote will be shown immediately below its parent.
+ When quoting a message that has a footnote, the footnote will now appear directly at the bottom of the related quote, rather than below the entire post, which should clear confusion about who wrote which footnote (the poster or the quoted).
! Fixed support for SMF2's Curve theme. 'clear: both' had to go... If you're having layout issues because of this, use 'overflow: auto' on the parent div. If that means anything to you.
* [nb] tag is now case insensitive

(Okay, couldn't wait for feedback on this... It works anyway. Try to break it :P)

dannbass

Quote from: Nao/Gilles on May 29, 2009, 02:36:14 AM
Also, I would like to look into adding more typography/newspaper-type features to SMF, just like Footnotes. Anyone interested in sharing ideas?

Thank you for the mod! I'm testing the nested footnotes, and those look great!!
I've always liked the columns in newspapers and magazines... something for the layout of a post in specific.  Maybe that would be more for a front page post... for a portal or so, but hey... it's just an idea!

Advertisement: