News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

New SQL Server

Started by dschwab9, April 16, 2009, 03:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dschwab9

Hey guys, just wanted to give everyone an update on the site status.

We have just completed migrating our SQL databases to a brand new box. The new machine is a 2.5GHz 8 core machine with 12GB of RAM and 6 146GB 10,000 RPM SAS drives in RAID 10. This should dramatically improve the speed of the forums.

One minor issue - during the migration, I lost connectivity to the old database server, requiring a hard reboot, which in turn corrupted a couple of tables. Due to this issue, there are roughly 4 hours worth of posts from this morning missing. If your post disappeared, I apologize.

If anyone finds any other issues, please report them in this topic and I will look into it.

Fustrate

* Fustrate likes this news.

It's kind of scary loading a page this fast after the last month and a half... thanks for the awesome fright!
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

shadow82x

Very good news!

QuoteIt's kind of scary loading a page this fast after the last month and a half... thanks for the awesome fright!
Agreed :P
Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Deaks

darn you I lost about 10000 posts cause of you.

Nah I didnt I lost about 30 but ah well end of day its great to be back and have a faster server.

Great job and nice server specs  :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hmm... My last post is from Today at 10:50:05 - and now it's 22:23, so thats 12 hours minus maintanance time - missing, since I've been spamming the support boards since morning to the maintanence.... ::)

EDIT: But guess this is still good news - I just feel a bit sorry for all the lost support posts...
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

SleePy

Thanks Derek :D

What I couldn't do with a server like that :P
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Fustrate

Quote from: SleePy on April 16, 2009, 03:25:20 PM

Run Crysis.
Steven Hoffman

Tristan Perry

Wow, very amazing server :) Will definitely be able to handle much of what is thrown at it.

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Fustrate on April 16, 2009, 03:26:48 PM
Quote from: SleePy on April 16, 2009, 03:25:20 PM

Run Crysis.

Bad graphics card, it'd look horrible. All black with little white text... *shudders*

Thanks Derek, for all your hard work on this.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Spaceman-Spiff

That's ok, with an 8-core CPU, we can do software rendering of Crysis!

;D

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I think i lost about 70-100 posts. I resolved about 2 pages od Support Topics..!! Comon get them back.. I have to go through them again... :( marked many solved today...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on April 16, 2009, 04:02:10 PM
I think i lost about 70-100 posts. I resolved about 2 pages od Support Topics..!! Comon get them back.. I have to go through them again... :( marked many solved today...
My initial thoughts too - but after a little thought, with the speed the forum runs now, I guess we'll soon catch up ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Aah, i would love to post again, but seriously, i might have marked over 20 topics solved today and posted about 100.. i was on a post count of about 130 when it was in maintanance.. (not sure though)

Fustrate

Then stop complaining and go solve them again ;)
Steven Hoffman

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Fustrate on April 16, 2009, 04:07:58 PM
Then stop complaining and go solve them again ;)
Repetition is the mother of all learning... ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

I am on it boss.. :P but after sometime.. If it could get back, i think it would be a great thing. (just to be sure if we arnt getting it back..)

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Just reporting in a problem.. (maybe!) I dont see any unread posts even though people are making posts in different sections. Unread replies works fine.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Search seems to not work, "Unable to access the search daemon"
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Dzonny

I'm glad that community is speeded up.. :)
* Dzonny is happy

Advertisement: