1.1.8 to 2.0 on a new Host?

Started by X8oD, April 17, 2009, 01:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

X8oD

I apologize if its been posted, and if you can redirect me to the topic or tell me what to search on I'll gladly do it :)

Im looking to Upgrade from 1.1.8 to 2.0 (on test basis) and im moving it to a subdomain and a different DB. And im wondering what route would i go to Migrate the DB from 1.1.8 to 2.0.

I saw a topic about Backing up the DB on 1.1.8 in the admin, and then importing via phpMyAdmin. Is it that "simple" to go from from 1.1.8 to 2.0?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Welcome to SMF X8oD!

Backing up and moving site could be easy or hard. It depends on once understanding.

Backuping can be done via various ways. Phpmyadmin, Extraction from a full backup of the host or using some third party script... and restoring goes the same way.

Upgrading of site mainly depends on the database. Keep A BACKUP of the site before upgrading. (No matter what minor upgrading you think you are doing, Always take a backup!)

Rest all steps should be easy..
How do I move my SMF board to a different host?
How do I restore the database data?
How do I save my SMF board?
How do I save the database data?

Read the docs! it will help you.. ;)

X8oD

ok so it basically is what i thought.

Last question :). Am i going to run into any issues Importing the DB from a 1.1.8 Hosted board into a 2.0 Hosted Board?

Or, would a better route be, Install 1.1.8, import site, then Upgrade it to 2.0?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Well, In my opinion, How i do is..

Take a backup of 1.1.8
Create a new database and restore the backup.
Make a folder within the site or anywhere else where the database is imported and put all 2.0RC1 files.
Delete Install.php
Download the Large upgrade package of 2.0RC1 and upload the upgrade files.. the .php and .sql files
Firstly Use repair_settings.php to link Settings.php with the database. (What is repair_settings.php?)
Then run Upgrade by going on http://yoursite.com/upgrade.php

The database will get upgraded and the database will be linked with the files by now..

AND FINALLY, if you want it to be on the live site, move the files and keep the database as it it. Just run repair_settings.php and fix the paths.

Any questions are welcomed. Dont feel shy.. ;)

-----
If you are too scared, then you can hire somone (am available :P) and they'll do it for you..

X8oD

X8oD

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on April 17, 2009, 07:45:29 PM
Well, In my opinion, How i do is..

Take a backup of 1.1.8
Create a new database and restore the backup.
Make a folder within the site or anywhere else where the database is imported and put all 2.0RC1 files.
Delete Install.php
Download the Large upgrade package of 2.0RC1 and upload the upgrade files.. the .php and .sql files
Firstly Use repair_settings.php to link Settings.php with the database. (What is repair_settings.php?)
Then run Upgrade by going on hxxp:yoursite.com/upgrade.php [nonactive]

The database will get upgraded and the database will be linked with the files by now..

AND FINALLY, if you want it to be on the live site, move the files and keep the database as it it. Just run repair_settings.php and fix the paths.

Any questions are welcomed. Dont feel shy.. ;)

-----
If you are too scared, then you can hire somone (am available :P) and they'll do it for you..

Small update, encountered an error.

Followed these steps. imported the DB, ran repair settings, and it worked well, attempted to redirect to install.php after but again it was deleted.

Ran upgrade.php but it keeps trying to redirect to install.php

any idea what im doing wrong?

Hell Raiser

Yeah it will you just fill the required things in that  ;D
Need Help with SMF ? Ask me may be i can help you out

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Quote from: Hell Raiser on May 24, 2009, 05:55:01 AM
Yeah it will you just fill the required things in that  ;D

You arnt suppose to put in install.php after the installation is done. It can be harmful.

@X8oD
Open your settings.php and check the paths there. The repair_settings.php sometimes messes up the paths there somehow magically.

Open your settings.php separately and repair_settings.php on the browser. Put the recommended paths in the settings.php as in repair_settings.php

After thats done, download the settings.php and name it settings_bak.php and upload it up on the site. See that both settings.php and settings_bak.php have same things within. (although it doesnt matter, but it might help)

See if that gets you up and running.

Advertisement: