News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

From Agora Forum to SMF

Started by WillemC, April 22, 2009, 01:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillemC

Hi all,

I got a question which I haven't seen on this forum yet.
I have a Joomla 1.5.9 website, with the Agora Forum.
I'm totally not satisfied with the Agora Forum because of the bugs in it.

Now I was wondering, is it possible for me to install this forum in my ftp and transfer the users (they are in my Joomla section) to this forum (perhaps even also the topics, but I guess that ain't going to work)

If I install this forum in my FTP, will it give problems with my Agora forum, or can I install it and start making everything work and finally transfer to this forum.

Thanks in advance, and if this question is allready asked, eventhoug I couldn't find it, just give me a link to it.

Willem

Jntg4

there are no converters for this, because Agora isn't too popular.
Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

fra107

Quote from: Jntg4 on April 22, 2009, 04:53:44 PM
there are no converters for this, because Agora isn't too popular.

Are you sure about it? Agorà is the best Joomla 1.5 native forum, and it's installed on about 30.000 sites.  ;)

shprota

I just have modified the FireBoard converter to convert my Agora forum to SMF.
It works for Agora 2.x and 3.x as it appears. However it lacks some features like transfering avatars. I didn't need that, so no code for it.
All instructions from the Fireboard converter apply as well as the patch to allow SMF use Joomla-generated password hashes.

WillemC

Okay, I downloaded the agora to smf file. But now?
I first need to install SMF on my server. Then add this file into the same root as my forum?

In the explenation page I read about a .sql file and convert.php.
Do I have to use the files which are shown in the link you gave me? (Fireboard converter)?

WillemC

I installed everything well, but now when I run this converter I get the following error.

open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/vhosts/.../httpdocs/SMFForum../../../configuration.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/.../httpdocs:/tmp) in /var/www/vhosts/../httpdocs/SMFForum/convert.php on line 544

I have searched the internet, and found out that it has to do with security. They aren't in the same folder.
But I wonder how I can solve this, while the agora forum is in /components/com_agora (it's an extension) while I installed the SMF forum in httpdocs/SMFForum.

What to do now? I really would like this to work.

ThorstenE

have you tried your joomla directory as path for the fireboard installation? the converter tried to find the configuration.php from Joomla without luck. I believe the path to Joomla/Agora wasn't specified right.

WillemC

I re-installed SMF and installed it in the same Database as the Agora forum.
Now I want to convert it, but I get this error:

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'xxxx'@'localhost' for table 'jos_users'.

How is this possible? I have only one DB-user in that DB. So why does it give this error?

SleePy

That means that your database user does not have permissions to that table.
Give your host the that error (unmodified ofcourse), and they can help you through granting that database user access it needs.
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

amorosso

Works well thank you. But you need to start with smf 1.1.. version first.

Norv

I'm not sure I understand, what do you mean by having to start with smf 1.1. version first?
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

SrMorte

Hello

People anyone have been using this converter ?
I tried today, but he gave me a error on the "Agora Path"
I inserted:
/home/XXXX/public_html/components/com_agora
This is the right path ?

I am using the Agora Forum 3.0.13.

Best Regards,
Remy Joaquim

SrMorte

Yes i tried, but he give me this error:

PS- I have installed the SMF in the same DB of AGORA forum.

Best regards,
Remy Joaquim

srbmaddie

I'm getting the same error as above. How did you fix this?

MotherBoard

From what I understand you can transfer the forum, but are going to have a very very hard time keeping all of the user information in place. One idea I have heard includes running disaster recovery [nofollow] as a solution for recovering files that have been 'lost in translation.' I wish you the best of luck and would recommend taking every step necessary.

mjblack

Im terribly sorry to cross post this...but...

Hey guys,

Ok copied the SMF database into the joomla database, changed settings so that SMF looks to that database.

All fine...all works ok..

But still getting the error:

The error MySQL gave was: SELECT command denied to user 'greenair_joomla1'@'localhost' for table 'jos_users'

when i run the converter....

Can someone please give me 30secs of time to explain the process to sort this?

Think im starting to lose my mind ::) cant think of any other way to add the user to joomla1 as its the root database.

I have used cpanel to check that joomla1 is a user of joomla1 and it is..

Thanks in advance!

mjblack

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

Yes i have read this many times...

Problem: SELECT command denied to user
Info: The cause of this error is that SMF and Software X are in separate databases and the SMF database user does not have access to Software X's database.
Fix: If your host has cPanel you can add the SMF database user to Software X's database.  If your host does not have cPanel you can contact them with regards on how to accomplish this. As well as a last resort, what you can do is reinstall SMF in the same database as Software X.

Whats not sinking in is that, ok ..

SMF data has now been transfered into the root joomla database 'joomla1'

settings.php in in SMF have been changed to look at the root database (so SMF is no longer in its own DB)

SMF works fine so im thinking that all the addresses are correct.

but the converter is looking at 2 bits of info in the same DB so why can it not access the data?

What steps do i have to do to make sure that greenair_joomla1 user is allowed access to its own DB?

I know this all sounds very thick, but after now 2 days of going over and over, im very confused.

regards,

Mike.

mjblack

OK....was being very thick.....

I didnt put the full database name in :-[  :-[

ok got past that....

now we have anew error:

Unssucessful :....

Caused the error:

Duplicate entry '62' for key 1

Advertisement: