Looking for noindex mod or system

Started by wolverine09, April 29, 2009, 10:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kindred

Quote from: maestrosite.ru on May 15, 2012, 07:36:17 AM
3. Add to robots.txt:Disallow: /*action=

really?   disallow all ACTION urls?    that's a bad idea....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

maestrosite.ru

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 11:41:24 AM
Quote from: maestrosite.ru on May 15, 2012, 07:36:17 AM
3. Add to robots.txt:Disallow: /*action=

really?   disallow all ACTION urls?    that's a bad idea....
Can you show which "action"-pages should be allowed?
Of course in this case you can add specific "action" and "area", and don't disallow all actions
First of all, sorry for my english. По-русски у меня получается значительно лучше.

Проблема на форуме? Сначала посмотрите лог ошибок вашего форума и лог ошибок сайта (error_log)

You can try other modifications - see demo

Kindred

action=mlist, action=calendar, action=profile, action=gallery, action=downloads....   etc etc and so forth.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

maestrosite.ru

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 12:13:06 PM
action=mlist, action=calendar, action=profile, action=gallery, action=downloads....   etc etc and so forth.

If you really need, then:
Allow: /*action=mlist
Allow: /*action=calendar
Allow: /*action=profile
Allow: /*action=gallery
Allow: /*action=downloads....   etc etc and so forth.

But what information will be of interest to search engines, for example, on the pages: action=mlist, action=calendar, etc?

If you installed a mod that adds a new pages (new actions), of course, these pages do not need to lock.

upd For example:
Allow: /*action=sitemap
First of all, sorry for my english. По-русски у меня получается значительно лучше.

Проблема на форуме? Сначала посмотрите лог ошибок вашего форума и лог ошибок сайта (error_log)

Kindred

in other words...   ban all actions in order to block a single one - and then re-allow each other action individually?   that's just plain silly.

I certainly want the search engines to track my calendar/list of events.
tracking my memberslist (if it's available to the public) is also important, in case someone is searching for a user by name.
tracking users' profiles is also important (again, if its available to the public) for the same reason.

as I said...   your idea of disallowing action is just silly.

and search engines will never, ever, get to the modify profile page anyway, so what is the point to adding a noindex to that function?
Слaва
Украинi

maestrosite.ru

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 02:02:10 PM
in other words...   ban all actions in order to block a single one - and then re-allow each other action individually?   that's just plain silly.

I certainly want the search engines to track my calendar/list of events.
tracking my memberslist (if it's available to the public) is also important, in case someone is searching for a user by name.
tracking users' profiles is also important (again, if its available to the public) for the same reason.

as I said...   your idea of disallowing action is just silly.
Your opinion is clear.
But I certainly want the search engines to track topics only. (And sitemap, but it's a different story)

and search engines will never, ever, get to the modify profile page anyway, so what is the point to adding a noindex to that function?
As described above, pages such as ?action=profile;area=showposts;, ?action=profile;area=statistics; contains duplicate content. Therefore  search engines can get profiles pages. let's see that on this occasion we will answer Google, whether he sees the profiles pages?
http://www.google.com/search?q=inurl%3Aaction%3Dprofile%3Barea%3Dshowposts&btnG=%D0%9F%D0%BE%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BA&oe=utf-8&client=ubuntu&channel=fs
Google said:
QuoteРезультатов: примерно 9 170 000
Isn't it? (You can have different numbers.)

This is stupid? Perhaps...

Kindred

you didn't read....
and search engines will never, ever, get to the modify profile page anyway,
you said to put the no index code into the function ModifyProfile

also...   *YOU* want the search engines to only search topics...   I don't think most of us would agree with that for our forums... but most people who are asking are not coders, so they'd take a look at your code and implement it as you suggest, never realizing that they have now stopped the search engines from getting to anything that is not a topic. (in my case between 30% and 50% of the site is not topics)
Слaва
Украинi

maestrosite.ru

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 02:47:24 PM
you didn't read....
and search engines will never, ever, get to the modify profile page anyway,
you said to put the no index code into the function ModifyProfile
As we know, function ModifyProfile is entry point for pages action=profile:$ grep "'profile'" index.php
'profile' => array('Profile.php', 'ModifyProfile'),

also...   *YOU* want the search engines to only search topics...   I don't think most of us would agree with that for our forums... but most people who are asking are not coders, so they'd take a look at your code and implement it as you suggest, never realizing that they have now stopped the search engines from getting to anything that is not a topic. (in my case between 30% and 50% of the site is not topics)
1. As you wrote
you didn't read....
Quote from: maestrosite.ru on May 15, 2012, 01:17:14 PM
If you installed a mod that adds a new pages (new actions), of course, these pages do not need to lock.
James-- forum has no such mods
2. Search engines see sitemap and get real pages - can again ask google. (And James-- forum has sitemap)
3. How much of the required (in search) information contains no-topic-pages? (30-50% pages or content )?

Kindred

Sorry about the modifyprofile thing... I was thinking of the file profile-modify.php

but, apparently you were not paying attention to james either, since he clearly said that he wants the search engines to see and index the profile pages....

Quote from: James--- on May 08, 2012, 08:50:14 PM
That's a simple solution but we want guest to be able to see members profile (without registration)
and also let them index by Google.

as for my site...   30-50% of the site is used for calendar events, galleries, articles, static pages and wiki. (among other things), but the entire site is handled through SMF - and I want ALL of that cataloged by the search engines.

Слaва
Украинi

maestrosite.ru

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 03:42:11 PM
but, apparently you were not paying attention to james either, since he clearly said that he wants the search engines to see and index the profile pages....

Quote from: James--- on May 08, 2012, 08:50:14 PM
That's a simple solution but we want guest to be able to see members profile (without registration)
and also let them index by Google.
Yes, this item had to write more. For "onpage" noindex i said above http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=307449.msg3334879#msg3334879
but about robots.txt rules after your post http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=307449.msg3335120#msg3335120 Of course, I had to clarify at once.

Quote from: Kindred on May 15, 2012, 03:42:11 PM
as for my site...   30-50% of the site is used for calendar events, galleries, articles, static pages and wiki. (among other things), but the entire site is handled through SMF - and I want ALL of that cataloged by the search engines.
gallery, wiki, etc - is not default functions, therefore, for these pages requires Allow-rules

Kindred

only if I added that silly "disallow" in the first place...    my argument is that - in your case, that disallow might make sense, but in the case of 99% of the rest of the forums out there, it would not.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: