How can Joomla offer a bridge to SMF and SMF can't?

Started by ZarPrime, May 02, 2009, 05:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZarPrime

Upon thinking that there was still an SMF/Joomla bridge available here, I installed Joomla earlier this morning, only to find out that there is not a bridge available here anymore.  After spending about 3 hours reading all the crap from a couple of years ago both here and on the Joomla Forum, I have just about decided that installing Joomla was a waste of my time, and maybe I should uninstall it and look in another direction.

However, before I do that, could someone here who knows the answer to this question please respond ...

How is Joomla able to provide a bridge to SMF on the Joomla site (actually 2 different ones, though I haven't looked into them enough yet to know whether one is for SMF 2.0 and one is for SMF 1.x)?  Secondly, has anybody here ever used one of these bridges, and if so, do they work?

They are located at these 2 url's and both are listed as being licenced under LGPL...

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/bridges/forum-bridges/5388/details

http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/bridges/forum-bridges/4472/details

If they work, then I will use one with my SMF 1.1.8 SMF Forum with TinyPortal installed but if they don't then I will probably just uninstall Joomla and be done with it.

Thanks in Advance,
ZarPrime

Orstio

QuoteHow is Joomla able to provide a bridge to SMF on the Joomla site (actually 2 different ones, though I haven't looked into them enough yet to know whether one is for SMF 2.0 and one is for SMF 1.x)?  Secondly, has anybody here ever used one of these bridges, and if so, do they work?

Joomla does not provide a bridge.  The Joomla extensions site is not a distribution of any kind.  It is a directory, much like the yellow pages.  Just like the phone book doesn't provide plumbing services, though you can find a plumber in the phone book.

The first listing you linked to is the listing for SJSB, which is actually distributed from here:

http://www.youpokeme.com/sjsb/

It's a good bridge, somewhat modelled after the discontinued bridge from here.  It is licensed under the LGPL, but it's still a precarious licensing situation.

The second listing is for the J2SMF bridge, which is distributed from here:

http://www.gmitc.biz/products/j2smf.html

Still a precarious licensing situation, and I have no idea how well it works.

Robin1989

i dont know much if anything about the joomla bridge that used to be available here but i did try an early beta of somthing called jfusion and it worked ok but i was just messing around with it on a test site.
http://www.jfusion.org/
it seems to of moved on and improved a lot since i used it so might be worth you taking a look at it

ZarPrime

Thanks for the quick responses guys.  I will have a look at them a little later today to see if either of them will do the trick for me.  I'm still amazed by what went on a couple of years ago on this thing.  If it was up to me, I wouldn't even be using Joomla for this site because I think it's overkill but it's what the site owner wanted so I had to do it.  In any case, if it doesn't work the way I want it to, I'll just have to try to talk him into letting me go with something else.

Again, I appreciate your help.

ZarPrime

aenchanter00

Quote from: Orstio on May 02, 2009, 08:03:46 PM
QuoteHow is Joomla able to provide a bridge to SMF on the Joomla site (actually 2 different ones, though I haven't looked into them enough yet to know whether one is for SMF 2.0 and one is for SMF 1.x)?  Secondly, has anybody here ever used one of these bridges, and if so, do they work?

Joomla does not provide a bridge.  The Joomla extensions site is not a distribution of any kind.  It is a directory, much like the yellow pages.  Just like the phone book doesn't provide plumbing services, though you can find a plumber in the phone book.

The first listing you linked to is the listing for SJSB, which is actually distributed from here:

hxxp:www.youpokeme.com/sjsb/ [nonactive]

It's a good bridge, somewhat modelled after the discontinued bridge from here.  It is licensed under the LGPL, but it's still a precarious licensing situation.

The second listing is for the J2SMF bridge, which is distributed from here:

hxxp:www.gmitc.biz/products/j2smf.html [nonactive]

Still a precarious licensing situation, and I have no idea how well it works.

I cant comment on  J2SMF bridge, as i have not looked at the source code, but SJSB do use integration hook and there for violate the lisence, you could use jfusion instead, as it don't use integration hook.

ofcause there is a few downsides to this, but as it is ligal you don't risk that the bridge will be shutdown because of this.

it seems that jfusion is close to having smf 2 support.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Well, I will opt for both jfusion & SJSB. Jfusion is not ready for bridging SMF + Joomla.

aenchanter00

Quote from: ahrasis on July 03, 2009, 10:05:07 AM
Well, I will opt for both jfusion & SJSB. Jfusion is not ready for bridging SMF + Joomla.
thats your preogetive :-X

Advertisement: