News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Quick easy simple question

Started by ThePriest, May 02, 2009, 08:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThePriest

But I bet it is not an Quick easy simple answer.

OK here's the deal. I have a fully updated 1.1.8 forum running very nicely thankyou. I also have just built a 2 RC1 forum as I have unlimited storage and 10 SQL databases to play with.

I set up the RC forum on a blank database and proceded to mod it to the way I want it. This is now just about ready.  So how or can I use a dowmloaded database from the 1.1.8 server to populate the SQl database of the RC one?

I put my hands up here and admit  I am not very good when it comes to SQL and I can just about understand the bare basics of phpMyAdmin. I do know there is a 2mb upload limit so  I will have to split the database.

Is there a tools to migrate the database or prepare it ready for smf2?

So there you go. Easy eh?

greyknight17

I recommend uploading a backup of your SMF 1.1.8 database to the blank database. Then install SMF 1.1.8. Once that's done, download the SMF 2.0 RC1 large upgrade and run the upgrade there. It will update the database to work with SMF 2.0.

For the 2MB limit, there are a few methods to do the restore. Try using restore_backup.php to restore your database. If that doesn't work, use BigDump to do this.

ThePriest

Now that is a shame as I have already modded the RC to my needs including my own layout etc.  Looks like I will have to start again.  :(

I was hoping there was a tool to configure the database I have downloaded ready to upload. Never mind  :'( I was doing it this way so I didn't have to upgrade the 1.1.8 untill I had a fully working RC2 and bug free. Sort of run both similtaniously.

ThePriest

So definately no way of doing this manually then?

greyknight17

There are too many database changes between the two major versions. Unless you really like playing around with MySQL (where mistakes are bound to happen eventually), I recommend using the upgrade.php with the large upgrade package. After that, you will have a SMF 2.0 database. Do whatever you want with the files. You can delete them and upload fresh new ones if you like, but it will not make a difference. Main thing is to get the database converted.

If interested, you can take a look at the upgrade SQL file.

ThePriest

OK. For anyone with the same dilema here is what I did.

Set to default theme

put into maintainance mode

First backup the forum to local machine.

create new folder on server "forumname2"

Download the database to local machine

Upload local copy to the new folder

upload database backup (.sql) file to new folder after correcting syntax and errors
C/R before #.......................................
remove "DROP" commands

Run repair settings.php and connect to seperate empty SQL database "sql2"

use bigdump.php tp upload the database to the new sql server database (brilliant bit of kit)

I now had a working exact copy of the original forum on a different url so I could keep the original going  while updating the copy.

Download unpack and upload SMF2 RC1 upgrade choosing overwrite of old files where needed.

run install.

I now had a SMF2 forum up and running.

now th last bit is my way of finnishing but you do not need to do it.

I renamed my old forums folder name to "oldforumname" and ran repair.settings.php on that. I also had to correct the theme settings.

This gave me a working original forum on a new URL.

I then uploaded a fresh copy of SMF2 to the original folder "myforum" and installed it by ammending the settings.php to point it to the "sql2" database I had created in the first instance.

Result. A working new install of SMF2 RC1 on the URL everone knows (inc the search engines) and a working (though on a different URL) original 1.1.8 foum

Hope this long winded work around is of some use.

ThePriest

I did say this was my way of doing it. maybe not the easiest an probably not the best.

So 1 & 2) yes the live domain

There are two servers which are used for php forums. The one with all the forum files and the SQL server which holds the database information (settings, thread post data, forum structure data)

6). I uploaded the downloaded data file on the server with the forum files as this is quicker when you use the bigdump.php to then install it to the SQL server. Bigdump finds it, and all you have to do is click the file name and bigdump does the rest.

The datafile (.sql) that I saved from the live server had errors in it one of which was a "DROP" command which my hosts version of SQL did not understand, wrong syntax. So I commented these out. Then there were instances of code where the carriage return C/R was missing so errors were thrown up due to "#..................." being stuck to the end of them when it should not have been. I replaces the C/R's

9) explained earlier

I could have created a new folder uploded 1.1.8 using a seperate .sql database and then uploaded the data from the live domain with bigdump and then upgraded to SMF2 RC1. The only reason I didn't is so I could keep all my customised files and not have to do them again.  If you do not have customised files then there is no reason you could not do it that way.  If you do this you will have your live site + the SMF2 site.  You could then swap folder names and run repair.settings on each to get the SMF2 onto the main url.

I think :-S

Advertisement: