[3.0] Package installation on new themes on SMF 2.0

Started by dpacmittal, May 06, 2009, 05:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpacmittal

I've installed SMF2.0 on my web server. I've installed around half a dozen mods on default theme.

Now, I want to put a new theme, but all my mods are gone and I can't find any simple method to apply all the mods on new themes.

I don't want to install all those mods again, just after installing a new theme. And I would have to repeat the same process for any new theme I install which is just another painful task.

I am sure a lot of people would like this feature.

A simple 'install all mods on current theme' button would be really useful. Guide me if there is already such a feature.

karlbenson

2.0 has the ability to ATTEMPT to install the mod only on all themes.
but ONLY when first installing the mod.
There isn't a way to go back later and install it on later themes.

The only way to do it would be to uninstall on the default theme, then reinstall (selecting to attempt to install on other themes).

Note, due to differences between themes, manual edits maybe required to install mods onto custom themes.

dpacmittal

Quote from: regularexpression on May 15, 2009, 09:02:57 AM
2.0 has the ability to ATTEMPT to install the mod only on all themes.
but ONLY when first installing the mod.
There isn't a way to go back later and install it on later themes.

The only way to do it would be to uninstall on the default theme, then reinstall (selecting to attempt to install on other themes).

Note, due to differences between themes, manual edits maybe required to install mods onto custom themes.

I know this. I am requesting for this feature.

TheDisturbedOne

I think it would be a good feature, but probably hard to code.

dpacmittal

Quote from: TheDisturbedOne on May 21, 2009, 09:38:12 PM
I think it would be a good feature, but probably hard to code.
Nope, it wouldn't be. They have already made the function to install on all available themes. We can create a button to recall that function (The package files are already there). It would be very easy to implement, actually.

njdevils28

Can that be made into a MOD itself or would that have to wait for a release of  version upgrade.

dpacmittal

Quote from: njdevils28 on May 29, 2009, 03:45:19 PM
Can that be made into a MOD itself or would that have to wait for a release of  version upgrade.

Actually this is a feature request. Dont know if they will implement it.

Hope some developer sees this request and releases a mod for it.

giridhari

How to install on other themes ?

I installed a new theme. After that I installed some mods. But i can't found that mods installed in my new theme. They are only applied to my default old theme. So can any one help me to get that mods installed on new theme too ?

Please help me soon

Jeet Chowdhury

this feature is really needful for webmaster rather than installing many mods on many new theme manually....

Xarcell

Quote from: dpacmittal on May 06, 2009, 05:47:07 AM
I've installed SMF2.0 on my web server. I've installed around half a dozen mods on default theme.

Now, I want to put a new theme, but all my mods are gone and I can't find any simple method to apply all the mods on new themes.

I don't want to install all those mods again, just after installing a new theme. And I would have to repeat the same process for any new theme I install which is just another painful task.

A simple 'install all mods on current theme' button would be really useful. Guide me if there is already such a feature.

There is a good solution for this. Mod developers shouldn't make template edits. It's that simple. SMF has layers and template hooks.

ascaland

Quote from: Xarcell on October 05, 2011, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: dpacmittal on May 06, 2009, 05:47:07 AM

There is a good solution for this. Mod developers shouldn't make template edits. It's that simple. SMF has layers and template hooks.

Although those are available, the output integration hook(s) such as integrate_buffer require HTML code to replace and such. A lot of theme authors will redesign and rename a lot of CSS classes and ids which cause the buffer hook to fail a lot of the time, unless they conform to the default names and ids.

spiros

In order for this to be achieved, shouldn't there be a very thorough overhaul of SMF hooks system? Personally, I am all for it.

Advertisement: