News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Anti Bot: Unrecognizable Form

Started by vbgamer45, May 08, 2009, 11:45:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyne

Bad typing  :-[

I have the mod installed but the registration process still says registration is down.

Is there an edit for custom themes??

M-DVD

Quote from: Doyne on June 15, 2009, 06:57:28 PM
I stalled with my custom theme on 1.1.9  and I got the registration is down message.  byt now my reg registration doesnt work at all. it wont let me send it when I click send. ???

Do you have codes to modify in the custom style mods???

1.- Restores a backup and repeat the changes more carefully.

2.- See this info: Manual Installation Of Mods

Doyne

Found the problem.  For some reason ???? all of the mod changes in the code where doubled.  I have had this problem before and no I did not load the mod twice  O:)

I wonder why this would happen.  Could it be Firefox?

ოկtђ

M-DVD

Quote from: Doyne on June 16, 2009, 10:00:52 AM
Found the problem.  For some reason ???? all of the mod changes in the code where doubled.  I have had this problem before and no I did not load the mod twice  O:)

I wonder why this would happen.  Could it be Firefox?

I was also passed. The cause isn't "exactly" the browser. The forum could avoid double install.

ls1dreams

Hi,

I currently have the 'authorize' option set for registration, so when anyone registers I have to manually approve them.  The system also sends me an email everytime someone signs up.

Unfortunately, while your mod does a great job of keeping bots out of the system, I'm still receiving the emails once they hit the form!

Could you add a feature that disables "a user has joined your forum" emails when they are bots?

remi_naija

I Think this is the best anti-spam measure ever. users don't have to strain to see capcha letters with usual request new image, they don't have to answer silly questions, like 'are you a bot?'

If this works as promise, then its goodbye to spam. (At least for some time...) :D

Tiribulus

Quote from: remi_naija on June 17, 2009, 11:20:26 AM
I Think this is the best anti-spam measure ever. users don't have to strain to see capcha letters with usual request new image, they don't have to answer silly questions, like 'are you a bot?'

If this works as promise, then its goodbye to spam. (At least for some time...) :D

I find this mod quite ingenious, but I don't think I'm ready to dump my other registration precautions just yet.

.LORD.

Quote from: ls1dreams on June 15, 2009, 10:07:02 AM
Would you consider changing the code a bit to make this email not be sent if it is a bot?

I sorry, is it would be beyond of the concept of this MOD.

Quote from: Mythcomeback | Burak on June 16, 2009, 11:32:50 AM
Very nice .LORD.! Thanks

Thanks for comment  :)

I too prefer the antibots "hidden". (currently there are only two, this MOD, and the Stop Spammer).

However, this is a struggle between "the good guys and the bad guys". :P

Just as we are developing "weapons" on this side, on the other side also will.

The user/administrator will get more security using several (to taste) antibots of the options available.

Quote from: Tiribulus on June 17, 2009, 10:03:22 PM

I find this mod quite ingenious, but I don't think I'm ready to dump my other registration precautions just yet.

You can use many antibots measures, is better. (I don't recommend using too many, but not just one)

For example, I use this MOD, Stop Spammer, and the Captcha Clock (only because I love this MOD) and the captcha default off.

remi_naija

I have been getting an error message during registration. Something like 'you must choose a user name' even when a user name has been choosen. Has it got to do with this mod?

JeepneyDriver

Today I let a known bot that had previously spammed my forums past my firewall and watched it try to register.  It was absolutely defeated.

With the built in visual verification set to the highest level, it had been able to spam me in the past.

With this mod and the Anti-Spam Verification Questions mod now installed, I think that the only spammer I will ever see would be the live human kind and I can ask questions that only my potential members would know the answer to.

Thanks for this great mod. :)

.LORD.

Quote from: remi_naija on June 19, 2009, 01:45:45 PM
I have been getting an error message during registration. Something like 'you must choose a user name' even when a user name has been choosen. Has it got to do with this mod?

AFAIK no. I couldn't reproduce this. Can you tell me you did to reproducir wrong (details, data sent)? Have you installed manually?

Quote from: JeepneyDriver on July 05, 2009, 03:26:25 AM
Today I let a known bot that had previously spammed my forums past my firewall and watched it try to register.  It was absolutely defeated.

With the built in visual verification set to the highest level, it had been able to spam me in the past.

With this mod and the Anti-Spam Verification Questions mod now installed, I think that the only spammer I will ever see would be the live human kind and I can ask questions that only my potential members would know the answer to.

Thanks for this great mod. :)

I am glad it worked and that you have protected  :D

painterforum20

I installed the mod... how do I know if it is working? As a human it works fine, how do I imitate a bot to test the error message?

snakeplissken

Will this mod be updated for 2.0 RC2?

ffingers

is it possible for you to do the same mod to the email password reminder form....

i am getting spammed by a single malicious user requesting password changes for all my users...i am 99% sure he is using a bot to accomplish this....

this would protect that form as well...

thanks

!RFAN

i was unable too click on "register" button after installing this mod??

Scratching my Head

Scratching my Head

SimpleJoe

I would also like to request an update for 2.0 RC 5.  thank you!
Hosting Simple Machines since YaBB -- One of the first SMF Forum Hosting providers with Chat and FTP for the inner developer in us all.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Simple Joe on June 27, 2011, 11:40:26 AM
I would also like to request an update for 2.0 RC 5.  thank you!

Why RC5? 2.0 final has been out for a while now.

Advertisement: