I have probblems with attached pics after I move on another server

Started by mih02k, May 12, 2009, 02:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mih02k

Quote from: Sarge on May 13, 2009, 02:53:36 PM
Only filenames are encrypted, not the content.

mih02k, can you download the attachments and see if they're displayed alright on your computer?

Yes I can download the attachments..

All the pics was renamed on the server when was encripted by SMF...if a user upload a picture on the forum as attachment named PICTURE.jpg on the server is named like this: PICTURE_JPG_796503cf67b2eb55cffeadabd7711243

If I download and  try to rename back in PICTURE.jpg when I open it in my computer is giving me this error: "Drawing Failed". I try with lots of programs to open it and is not working

Sarge

That probably means that the download from the old server and/or the upload to the new server didn't work correctly. Do you have a working backup?

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Leemy

Sarge I have the same issue. Do you think all backups failed (that is a legit question, I have no idea)? 

mih02k

i dont have a backup...I delete my old forum now and I install coppermine for photos... I hope is better like this!

JBlaze

Hello, just going through some old support topics. Do you still require assistance with this issue?

If so, please reply with more information about what isn't working.

Additionally, if this is already solved, please mark it solved by clicking 'Mark Topic Solved' at the lower left of your screen.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Leemy

Yes I still need assistance.
Encrypted attachments were downloaded under "auto" transfer type, which i guess went to ASCII
Re-uploaded attachments are corrupted, not readable, as they needed "binary" transfer

How does one fix this? THanks

Sarge

Saleem, all decent FTP client programs should have a setting for the transfer mode/type. I know that FileZilla has a setting for this.

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

Leemy

Quote from: Sarge on June 05, 2009, 11:38:24 AM
Saleem, all decent FTP client programs should have a setting for the transfer mode/type. I know that FileZilla has a setting for this.
Yes I use FileZilla and it was set to auto.
Normally this wouldnt be an issue but I had switched and deactivated my old hosting before finding out these old attachments dont work.
I have like 30 old full file backups, but all of them are worthless because all had "auto" file transfer setting.
My old host no longer has the file images, but when they did wanted $150 to restore the files for redownloading.

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Leemy

Arantor

Recovery of corrupted files is virtually impossible to achieve, I'm afraid, unless you have an awful lot of computing time to throw at the file.

The problem concerns two binary values that may be present; 10 and 13, which are used in combinations to mean the end of line. Windows/DOS takes 13 followed by 10 to mean end of line while Linux/Unix have been using just 10 for far longer. The problem is that the interchange happens on download (because it's 'text', it autoconverts), meaning that any value of 10 in the file will have been replaced by 13, 10. But there would have been some legitimate files that do have 13, 10 in them, so for every byte changed you have to try both combinations.

SallyM

Sorry to drag this up but I'm having similar problems.

Original site is still live but I've been pre-preparing it on the new host with official move to happen shortly.

I've recreated a direct replica in every way, all good, bar attachments (and members custom avatars but that's no major).

Of 2000 attachments I've only found 3 or 4 working, all of the others are "not found" (404).

Original site is v 1.1.1 but the play site on new host has been successfully upgraded it to 1.1.10.

Its going to be tragic to lose these but I've been working on it for days, and read this thread over and over for parts I may have missed, but no luck.  "Encrypt stored files" has been enabled on the original site.  Version 1.1.10 doesn't have this option but...that should be irrelevant because the play site started as a 1.1.1 with no attachments working.

Arantor

Encrypt stored files is now default in 1.1.9 and up, so that shouldn't be a problem.

How did you make the copy/backup of the attachments?

SallyM

Hi Arantor,

I just copied them from the original server to my computer then uploaded to new.

Arantor

What program did you use? If you used FileZilla to make the backup it's possible some of them may have been corrupted.

SallyM

ftp program?

I use Smartftp - http://www.smartftp.com

If no one knows this program I'm happy to take recommendations and try with a different one.

Arantor

Well, many users here use FileZilla because it's fast and free.

With regards to SmartFTP, do you have an option to set the mode it uses for files? You want to be ensuring it uses 'binary' mode for the attachments folder.

SallyM

It was set to "Auto". Without knowing what that meant I have just grabbed all attachments again from the original site, downloaded in binary and uploaded again in binary.

Still no luck. The same small handful working with the rest "not found".

Arantor

Very strange, that.

Given that you have a backup of both database and files, go into the forum admin area, in to Forum Maintenance and 'Find and repair any errors'.

SallyM

Thanks Arantor, appreciating your help.

All it came up with was that a few members who didn't exist had received PM's.

Advertisement: