News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Members have problems with Sign up and posting

Started by IngaOz, May 16, 2009, 05:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IngaOz

Here is the conversation between me and the member:

Member: Hi Inga, I tried several times today to register at your forums for the birthday contest and the verification numbers won't load nor can I listen to them as that is also 404. Please take a look. Thanks.

Me: please try to login with usern*** and password: *** (I have created an account for You).

I have no idea why verification numbers didn't load for you :( loaded just fine when I tried...

Once You login, please change password and any other info You want to change :)

Member: Well not really sure what the problem is, I've tried IE and FF. Now when I try to post, I get this....

The following error or errors occurred while posting this message:
Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

Me: Omg :( Never got that error myself :( Have no idea what the reason is... maybe You could try to logout, delete all cookies from niggyemails.biz [nofollow] and niggyemails.biz/forum [nofollow] and then login for new?

I use Firefox and getting problems with logout sometimes, then I switch to Opera and everything works ok...

Please let me know :)

Member: LOL leave it to me to find this error :((

Deleted cookies, ran ccleaner and still I can't post.

---------------------------------

Any ideas where is the problem and why member is not able to post? I have disabled verification number on signup because I have received more support requests from members who can not see that number :( but what about posting?
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

IngaOz

Btw, I forgot to add that I have upgraded this forum to 2.0 RC1 from 1.1.8 and added SimplePortal.

So, please, anyone have any ideas what to do and what is wrong - why some members cannot register and post?
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I tested to see the registrations screen, on the forum in your sig - and it seemed to work just fine.
Best guess I could come up with, is that the user in question has a cookie problem, or some other problem
in his/hers browser settings...
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 12:33:55 PM
I tested to see the registrations screen, on the forum in your sig - and it seemed to work just fine.
Best guess I could come up with, is that the user in question has a cookie problem, or some other problem
in his/hers browser settings...
the problem forum is: http://www.niggyemails.biz/forum [nofollow]

Could You please test it?
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, wasn't that one :P

Could you turn on the captcha so I can take a look see ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 01:47:34 PM
Ok, wasn't that one :P

Could you turn on the captcha so I can take a look see ;)
Turned it ON. And please if You are able to see it, could You register and post some test post (I will delete it and Your account, so no worry about it)? :) Thank You very much.
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 02:06:02 PM
Registered, posted, posted, posted and posted - and saw no trouble with it :)
http://www.niggyemails.biz/forum/index.php?topic=16.0 [nofollow]

LOL... Thank You very much for testing :) So I don't understand what's wrong there, received 2 more support requests from members who cannot join or post Today again :(
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I did see just a moment ago, a single session verification error, when I was logged in with 3 different browsers, and tried to logout one by one :P But after I cleared all cookies and temporary files, and again tried one browser at a time, it all seemed good.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 02:46:59 PM
I did see just a moment ago, a single session verification error, when I was logged in with 3 different browsers, and tried to logout one by one :P But after I cleared all cookies and temporary files, and again tried one browser at a time, it all seemed good.

Thank You for all the help :) Maybe I need to downgrade back to 1.8.8... not sure... But I thank You very much for time You spent on my site :) and by helping me :)
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry I couldn't help more, since I don't really see any problems there. But I do hope you get eveything sorted out.

Actually,
One thing that comes to mind... Could you check if you are using database driven sessions, and are you using locally stored cookies?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 03:14:42 PM
Sorry I couldn't help more, since I don't really see any problems there. But I do hope you get eveything sorted out.

Actually,
One thing that comes to mind... Could you check if you are using database driven sessions, and are you using locally stored cookies?
uhhhhh.... how to check that?
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Good Q, can't remember if it's the same on 2.0,
but you'd find both settings in Admin -> Server Settings -> Feature Configuration
on an 1.1.8 installation...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 03:24:50 PM
Good Q, can't remember if it's the same on 2.0,
but you'd find both settings in Admin -> Server Settings -> Feature Configuration
on an 1.1.8 installation...

Ok... Database driven sessions are checked (I use them) and Enable local storage of cookies is unchecked (do i need to allow that option?).
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You could try if it does anything to your members having trouble - but if you do, make sure "Use subdomain independent cookies" isn't checked at the same time...
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 03:37:24 PM
You could try if it does anything to your members having trouble - but if you do, make sure "Use subdomain independent cookies" isn't checked at the same time...
Ok turned it On, but it says: "SSI won't work well with this on" - what is SSI (sorry, having a blonde time)
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: IngaOz on May 18, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
Ok turned it On, but it says: "SSI won't work well with this on" - what is SSI (sorry, having a blonde time)
If you don't know, you're probably safe ;) SSI refers to SSI.php that is used to pull information from your forum, to other pages.
Although you do have the portalpage, it seems to be in the same folder than the forum itself, so I think it should work just fine... If it doesn't you can always go and change those settings back.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

IngaOz

Quote from: LexArma on May 18, 2009, 03:50:57 PM
Quote from: IngaOz on May 18, 2009, 03:45:10 PM
If you don't know, you're probably safe ;) SSI refers to SSI.php that is used to pull information from your forum, to other pages.
Although you do have the portalpage, it seems to be in the same folder than the forum itself, so I think it should work just fine... If it doesn't you can always go and change those settings back.
Thank You once again :)
IngaOz on WEB [nofollow]

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem, do tell us if you get this solved or not :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Crossfire2142

I too am not experiencing any issues with session verification failed messages...

JBlaze

Quote from: Crossfire2142 on May 19, 2009, 12:45:22 AM
I too am not experiencing any issues with session verification failed messages...

Have you followed the solutions above and see if that helps?

If none of that helps, feel free to post your own support topic.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: