News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Package Installation Failure

Started by Cixi, May 16, 2009, 05:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cixi

I can't install any packages.
It show me:

An Error Has Occurred!
Although the package was downloaded to the server it appears to be empty. Please check the Packages directory, and the "temp" sub-directory are both writable. If you continue to experience this problem you should try extracting the package on your PC and uploading the extracted files into a subdirectory in your Packages directory and try again. For example, if the package was called shout.tar.gz you should:
1) Download the package to your local PC and extract it into files.
2) Using an FTP client create a new directory in your "Packages" folder, in this example you may call it "shout".
3) Upload all the files from the extracted package to this directory.
4) Go back to the package manager browse page and the package will be automatically found by SMF.

Fixes attempted
Safe Mode is off
Temp Directory will not work with or without I created it manually and I chmod it to 777

chmod 0777 ./Packages from web root
chmod 0777 ./Packages/installed.list from web root
remove and recreate the packages directory with the SMF installation not having any mods installed and creating an empty installed.list file.
pull from another default installation in another directory of SMF.

SMF Version: 2.0 RC1

Karuhun

Are you using PrettyURL?, if so, disable it first then install the package.

Cixi

I don't even know what PrettyURL is.

I use SMF on my web site and that't the only thing is on the web site.

Cixi

Any Idea of what can I do to solve that problem?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Could you give a link to one package you have tried to install?
Have you tried extracting the package to a local folder, and uploading that folder and files via ftp straight to your
packages directory already? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Cixi

I go:
Admin
Packages
Latest Packages
I just pick anyone in "New Packages:" suggestion
I click on Install
and it show the error mesagge above reported.
I just (now) tried to install this Custom copyright in Single line | S-Ace 1.0

"javascript:smf_packagesMoreInfo(1836);void(0);"

http://www.mywebsite.it/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=packages;sa=download;get;package=http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/downloads/1836/custom_copyright_single_line.zip;sesc=1b5772693d5faf0b568eef6a1421ef21

If I extract the package locally all work fine. I mean download in my pc using "
Upload a Package" function all work fine.

But I can't install anything by "automatic installation" (I don't really know how name this function.

I can try any. Same problem for any trials.
Thank You :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, try it this way. Download the modification from http://custom.simplemachines.org instead of your admin panel,
and go to Admin -> Packages -> Download packages,
and in the bottom you will see an option to upload package.

Point it to the file you just downloaded, and see if it will work any better.
It may be that for some reason, you are just unable to use packages directly from the admin browser. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Cixi

I'm sorry LexArma. I did wrote the wrong sequence.
I do download in my PC.
Then use your method and upload into server using "Upload a Package" function and it work like a charm but I can't figure out why until 1 month ago all worked fine with 2.0RC1 version and now I can't install just by clicking "Install".
That make me get crazy.
Can be possible that Server owner of my web hosting patched something in the linux server that disallowed me to do that?
I tried also to format my space and rebuild all by scratch.

This is my first concern. Probably this is one problem that is behind a bigger one that I can't see now.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Oh, so you can install mods if you go the manual route - but not by browsing files directly from the admin panel then?
That may just be your server then. Some setting changes that restrict downloading from 3rd party sites for example.
I've never actually installed anything that way, so I have very little experience on this I'm sorry...
I've always preferred downloading from http://custom.simplemachines.org, simply because I can then get the manual
install instructions at the same time as well, to make edits to my custom themes etc....
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Cixi

Exactly. I can install by manual upload but not from the Admin Package Panel. ;)

You got it.

So I was wondering what was the problem.
The server administrators told me that SMF was the one to blame.
I was trying to find out what is the problem that's it. I can't figure out where to look and how to address the web hoster administrators to solve this issue.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Are you able to access your serverlogs? If you'd check your forum and server logs, they might tell you something more on this.
Other than that I'm sorry to say I can't come up with anything more than suggesting you go way that works, for now.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Cixi

Is there any particular file name I can check?
So I ask the hoster to give me the files you need.
Thank You

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Sorry for the long delay, is this still an issue? I do know some servers won't allow downloading from outside the server, so this could be a host issue as well. Has the package browser way ever worked for you? If not, then it might be that it just doesn't work on your server and you will have to go the "hard way" to do it.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Cixi

The Package Browser worked with 1.1.8 version and not with 2.0 RC1
Probably this new version have some incompatibility with some server
Can't you manage to solve this issue for the one who is affected?
Thank You for your reply. ;)

Arantor

Do you still require support with this?

I don't believe the code is hugely different between 1.1.8 and 2.0 for this; it may be a permissions issue. Some servers require that to download files the script's owner has to have slightly different permissions.

Cixi

Well.. if it is like you said.. why it work with 1.1.8 and does not with 2?
Simple question I guess should have a simple answer. :)

And.. Yes. The topic is NOT solved.

Arantor

How did you install 1.1.8 and how did you install 2.0?

Cixi

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 06:27:57 PM
How did you install 1.1.8 and how did you install 2.0?

Exactly same way.
I pick the full installation package.
I created the directory.
I ftp the files
I run the installed

Same for both.
1.1.8 work perfectly all round
2.0 do not work with package inst.

I tried even to "format" my web space but nothing changed.

Arantor

Then it may well be that your host changed something around the same time.

Advertisement: