News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

CurveVB User On Top

Started by Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail, December 28, 2010, 12:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

impreza

Why change something, as all is well
Portal ToTemat.pl - treści w postaci artykułów i filmów tematycznych.

Bugo

Display.template.php is not XHTML valid...

There's a lot of errors, on fresh SMF 2.0 RC4:
8: Undefined index: avatar
File: ***/Themes/curvevbuserontop/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 246

8: Undefined index: can_make_article
File: ***/Themes/curvevbuserontop/Display.template.php (main sub template - eval?)
Line: 165

8: Undefined index: ua_browser
Line: 352

8: Undefined index: ua_os
Line: 352

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I haven't check that Bugo. Any ideas why?

Bugo

Check on fresh SMF, w/o any mods.

I think I got the last two. That is because it was originally designed and tested with OS/Browser Mod. I will check for the avatar and make article ( I am not sure what/why it is).

Plus I may withdraw this theme when the mod for it is tested and working and accepted by the SMF Team.

Stigmartyr

Is it possible to simply get the required edits to make this work with our current themes?  It's a fantastic mod but who's going to change their entire theme just to see a new postbit.

I've done something highly customized at: http://black-chapter.com/forums/eve-online/little-bees/

Matthew K.

The reason it's not packaged as a mod is because of how many edits are necessary - At least in my findings, it was quite tricky.

I did successfully write a mod for SMF that does this, although it looks a little different, I went for a different arrangement of the information that I feel looks a little better. However, SMF did not allow it due to the fact it's adding a "core" file that is heavily modified. It seems quite unreasonable to me that they wouldn't allow it due to the fact it will not stop mods from being installed and taking affect to the vertical layout - It gave users the option to choose between vertical and horizontal for posts.

Your best shot for doing it would be custom coding for your theme.

Best Regards,
Labradoodle-360

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 10, 2011, 03:01:52 PM
The reason it's not packaged as a mod is because of how many edits are necessary - At least in my findings, it was quite tricky.

I did successfully write a mod for SMF that does this, although it looks a little different, I went for a different arrangement of the information that I feel looks a little better. However, SMF did not allow it due to the fact it's adding a "core" file that is heavily modified. It seems quite unreasonable to me that they wouldn't allow it due to the fact it will not stop mods from being installed and taking affect to the vertical layout - It gave users the option to choose between vertical and horizontal for posts.

Your best shot for doing it would be custom coding for your theme.

Best Regards,
Labradoodle-360

Thanks bro.

Lately it seems my best shot is simply looking for a new forum software.

Matthew K.

Well, that is your decision. But I would be curious to hear your reasoning.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 10, 2011, 05:53:29 PM
Well, that is your decision. But I would be curious to hear your reasoning.

Essentially the word on the street is that SMF is dying - not to be a turd in the punch bowl.  After almost 10 years of using nothing but SMF (by choice) I'm seeing where the gaps in features with I.P. (for example) are growing larger.

When your forum becomes more than a hobby and actually a revenue generating production site you need it to keep pace with contemporary websites out there.  Wordpress is popular now, Simple Portal thankfully gives us a portal page otherwise we'd be SOL, as Tiny Portal pretty much folded up shop.

More than half the time I'm browsing this site for info, there seems to be the perception the SMF team is not very responsive to the demands of the users.  Of course it's not a eutopia and I personally appreciate that we even have SMF but I'm not so sure it will be able to suit my needs down the road if I can't get the features I need, eventually I'll have to look to a software that can.

Believe you me, I don't mind hammering out some code to make it work, because if you've seen any of my SMF sites they're all heavily modified :P

Matthew K.

I'll keep my response to one sentence....SMF is not dying.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 10, 2011, 08:15:36 PM
I'll keep my response to one sentence....SMF is not dying.

Given your stature here, I sincerely find that comforting.  I hope it doesn't because I'm upgrading a businesses forum from 1.1.8 to SMF2 as we speak :P

Arantor

Well, the perception that it's not responsive is more to do with the fact that due to internal struggles that are nearly at an end, the project was slowed down. 2.0 has been feature locked since 2008 or so and people just don't realise that if they were to just keep adding features, 2.0 final would never get released.

I can tell you now that SMF is not dying - and I don't know how much credence you placed in the person above, but having seen the state of SVN, and being privy to a few more details (due to being a former team member), I can assure you it's not dying. But I can also assure you that before long, it's going to have some interesting stiff competition.

Stigmartyr

Quote from: Arantor on February 11, 2011, 02:17:47 AM
Well, the perception that it's not responsive is more to do with the fact that due to internal struggles that are nearly at an end, the project was slowed down. 2.0 has been feature locked since 2008 or so and people just don't realise that if they were to just keep adding features, 2.0 final would never get released.

I can tell you now that SMF is not dying - and I don't know how much credence you placed in the person above, but having seen the state of SVN, and being privy to a few more details (due to being a former team member), I can assure you it's not dying. But I can also assure you that before long, it's going to have some interesting stiff competition.

Competition is good.

I just upgraded: www.blacksungameschicago.com/forum/ today and I did it from a vanilla 1.1.8 install (no mods) to what it is now with probably 2 dozen mods and a heavily modified theme.  I did it all for free today in perhaps 20 hours total (so far) cause I thought it needed it.  I'm out there pushing it to business owners and trying to improve the SMF sites I find in prod.  Thanks for the hugs guys.

p.s. the CurveVB bit (as a theme) is not going to really impress anyone.  Maybe over rated?

A mod on this is already approved. I will not be supporting this theme anymore. Please opt for the mod rather than this theme. Thanks.

For the mod, please head here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=421476.0

Advertisement: