A few issues- one problem and one conern

Started by anunlike, March 19, 2005, 02:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunlike

Hi.

I am having a couple of issues, one is a real problem and one is more of just an annoyance and slight concern.

To start with the problem...

I keep getting "500 Internal Server Errors" only in certain situations, like when I click on certain links within the administration panel and when I try to login (sometimes). It just started out of the blue. I had been using and modifying everything fine since the installation, and now I keep getting these error pages in various situations.

I've already searched for this here, but I think my situation might be a tad different (or at least notworthy enough (in my mind anyway) that it makes me curious enough to ask). I've already installed SMF (1.0) in this same directory twice before and everything has worked just fine. So, I really want to ask if having previous installations with the same information (directory, names, etc.) would have anything to do with this at all? Could that have caused any problems?

On to the slight concern...

I keep getting "An Error Has Occured!" in the title area of the browser window and in the admin area, "There are no installation or unistallation actions defined!" when I try to download the 1.0.1 update package from the 'Package Manager'. Like before, what gets me is that I've had this installed twice ajnd used this feature both times successfully before and it's just now doing this. I'm, again, wondering if installing it twice has had any impact on and/or is the cause of this. This concerns me cuz it just changed, for no apparant reason. What could have caused it to just change from one installation to something different in the next like that?

As a little more info... I've been using Fantastico with cPanel to install the forum software. So, all I've needed to do was to enter my information into the forms and then submit and then get down to the nitty gritty.

I've contacted my hosting company about the first issue. Of course, I'm still interested in getting some help with this, but until I hear from my hosting company, I'm more interested in how having previous installations would affect (if at all) this. Unless the problem can be solved easily by the good people here, I'll wait to see what my hosting company has to say.

As for the concern, it's not that big of a deal as I can always upload and install things from my computer manually. It does give me concern because it was working fine on previous installations and now will not work.

Thanks for any and all help.  :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: anunlike on March 19, 2005, 02:26:47 PM
I keep getting "500 Internal Server Errors" only in certain situations, like when I click on certain links within the administration panel and when I try to login (sometimes). It just started out of the blue. I had been using and modifying everything fine since the installation, and now I keep getting these error pages in various situations.

Have you/can you check your Apache error log?  Is everything chmod 755 not 777?

Previous installations should not cause these problems.  I'm thinking you may have PHP configuration problems.

-[Unknown]

anunlike

Actually, it turns out that another client did something or had something set so that it made it easy for a hacker to get into. So, the hacker did and this explains the various (server-wide actually) 500 Internal Errors, which my host fixed. They were also in the stages of adding a new server, so...

But, I'm still confused as to how my concern managed to manifest, seemingly out of the blue.

Thanks for the (attempted) assistance.

Advertisement: