Error with Package Manager

Started by Verso, May 21, 2009, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nekokaitou

Yea, their instructions didn't work.  For a Linux system, I did:

1. Copy .zip file into the Packages directory, not in a new directory under it.
2. Create a temp directory in Packages with server access (simple way is: chmod 777 temp)
3. At this point, it should show up in the package browse tab.
4. Change the permissions for the files to be changed, from the forum top-level directory:

chmod -R g+w index.html Sources attachments
    chgrp -R [i]server-groupID[/i] .

where server-groupID is the primary group your web server runs under, probably the same as its userID.
5. At this point, you should be able to do the patch install from the Package Browse tab.

If I didn't do step 4, it would ask for ftp access information but still not work, complaining about permissions.

Fortunately, I have direct access to the server and don't have to use FTP do to this.

The patch installation is the first major bug I've found with the 2.0RC code.  The second one is that the quick post on this site always complains that you haven't entered the verification letters, which it never presented in the first place.  Otherwise, it's been pretty solid.

FX-FatCat

Thanks for the advice, but in my case I have to use FTP, and it matters not what permissions I give the files or directories, the package manager always returns the same error, saying that it does not have permission.

Please refer to reply 4 on page one for a graphic of the error.
Thanks
Wayne

nekokaitou

I'm assuming that you were trying to use the link provided in the Package Manager.  Don't use it.  Download the zip file to your machine and ftp it into the Packages directory.  While there, create the temp directory and change the permissions to 777 - that ensures that the server has access.

You may need to change the permissions of the Sources directory, as well, along with all the files in it.  If you want to change only those files that need patching, here's the list:

Display.php
Load.php
ManageAttachments.php
PackageGet.php
Post.php
Profile-Modify.php
Profile-View.php
QueryString.php
Security.php
Subs.php
Subs-Graphics.php
Subs-Members.php
Subs-Post.php

and index.php in the top level directory and .htaccess in the attachments directory.

elgrand

nekokaitou

Quote from: elgrand on May 30, 2009, 01:27:36 PM
tried that still dont wok
How so?  Did you try to install it from the "Browse Packages" page?  What error did you get and what did you do to get that error?

elgrand

nekokaitou

Try creating a directory under Packages -- name doesn't really matter, 'smf_patch' will do -- and unzipping the file into there (or unzip the file on your machine and transfer the contents into that directory).

elgrand

nekokaitou

What OS and server software is running on your server?

elgrand

Apache version 2.2.11 (Unix)
PHP version 5.2.9
MySQL version 5.0.67-community-log
Architecture x86_64
Operating system Linux

nekokaitou

The only other thing I know I did, just out of pure 'in case they made a typo' desperation at one point, was to put in a symbolic link of packages to Packages (ln -s Packages packages).  I seriously doubt that was it, but who know.  Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I got it to work with basically the same setup (although mine was an x86_32 system).

Worse comes to worse, copy down the files mentioned above, hand modify them and copy them back.

mrbones

Mine just won't plain work. I'm just not going to update until they address this. I'm surprised no one from SMF has chimed in here.

AncientDragonfly

Make sure you are downloading the patch zip and not the modifications zip.  I made that mistake at first, and so have lots of others.

elgrand

Using the main SMF page, then download then using the small update .zip is this the I should be using?

AncientDragonfly

Quote from: elgrand on June 01, 2009, 10:00:53 AM
Using the main SMF page, then download then using the small update .zip is this the I should be using?
From the first post here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=311899.0

Download the file called smf_patch_1.0.17_1.1.9_2.0-RC1-1.zip  (It's the last one on the list.)

elgrand

Quote from: AncientDragonfly on June 02, 2009, 08:59:36 AM
Quote from: elgrand on June 01, 2009, 10:00:53 AM
From the first post here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=311899.0

Download the file called smf_patch_1.0.17_1.1.9_2.0-RC1-1.zip  (It's the last one on the list.)

you the man
ftp the zip file to the Packages then in admin packages browse packages there it was, applied mod and installed all OK

mrbones

FX-FatCat

Still no luck for me.  :'(

I still get a message about directory and file rights? :-[

AncientDragonfly

@ elgrand and mrbones: glad if it was what I posted that helped to get yours working.

Quote from: FX-FatCat on June 02, 2009, 11:40:13 AM
Still no luck for me.  :'(

I still get a message about directory and file rights? :-[

Try this, FX-FatCat, this is what I had to do:

• Download the correct file, smf_patch_1.0.17_1.1.9_2.0-RC1-1.zip
  • Unzip it on your own computer.
  • Using an FTP client, like Filezilla, connect to your server.
  • Go to the Packages directory and create a directory under it.  It doesn't matter what you call it, but I called mine RC1-1.
  • Upload the unzipped files into the directory you just created.  Make sure they are in the new directory and not the Packages directory.  This will get around SMF needing the write permissions in the Packages directory.
  • Go to the Package Manager, and Browse Packages.  You should see the Update listed there.

Post what point you got to if this doesn't work.

ruz

Can I just say the original error in the package manager directs you to the download page and thus I don't think it people's fault they are downloading the update from there.

People you need the PATCH from the original post, not the update from the downloads page! This should be made clear.

Advertisement: