Post History

Started by niko, May 23, 2009, 01:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

Fantastic. I will give it a go when I'm scheduling the next round of changes.

Thank you so much.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

BTW, Koyla, how did you get those nice colors into your php statments ?
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

thanks. Now i just have to figure out why my nano editor doesn't support colors (i tried the .nanorc in my $home dir but to no avail).

aegersz

fixed ! the colors are nice, thanks.

Gryzor

I guess this mod is out of development? Does anyone know of any alternatives?

aegersz

it may be so but it's been rock solid for me.

many mods are ok to install as long as you have a comfortable uninstall methodology.

some mods don't need to be developed further because they just work.

Kolya

That is true, the mod still works as it did.

Apart from that it has and always had some problems with sorting the previous entries and comparing them.

Gryzor

Well it does work, but it always throws errors in my log due -I suppose- to deprecated statements...

aegersz

what's a few errors between old mods ?

i gave up stressing about errors as long as everything seems to work and i get no complaints.

i often check them, of course.

Gryzor

Oh, I'm not stressing, it's just that the logs are getting messy :D

Kolya

Gryzor

Undefined index: view_post_history at Display.template.php. The offending line:

<a href="', $scripturl, '?action=posthistory;topic=', $context['current_topic'], '.0;msg=', $message['id'], '" onclick="return reqWin(this.href + \';popup\');">« <em>', $txt['view_post_history'], '</em> »</a>';

aegersz

never seen that one but i only stopped by to say that if you choose to use this great mod, see the pruning posts a page or two back.

it is a batch process so if you or your host runs cron (sorry, Windows only for clients here) then i highly recommend scheduling the pruning task monthly.

what appeals so much to me about this mod is that i can audit any "suspect" posting activity.

if i am not wrong, the edit list is hidden from members and they should be unaware of the versions saved.

Gryzor

Correct, the edits list is only visible to mods/admins, and that's a good thing indeed.

For everyone else, this is the post aegersz is referring to: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=312474.msg3887573#msg3887573

Kolya

Quote from: Gryzor on January 25, 2018, 04:15:12 AM
Undefined index: view_post_history at Display.template.php.

The simple fix would be to go into that file and just replace
', $txt['view_post_history'], '
with
View Edits of Post

A better fix would be to open Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php (or whatever language you use) and add this line somewhere:
$txt['view_post_history'] = 'View Edits of Post';

For reference here are the complete language strings this mod adds. If you use a different language than English you might want to translate all of these and add them to Modifications.yourlanguage.php
// Post History Start
$txt['core_settings_item_posthistory'] = 'Post History';
$txt['core_settings_item_posthistory_desc'] = 'Store history of edits of message content into database.';

$txt['title_view_post_history'] = 'Viewing Post History for - %1$s';

$txt['ph_last_edit'] = 'Latest Edit By';
$txt['ph_last_time'] = 'Edit Time';
$txt['ph_view_edit'] = 'View Post';

$txt['ph_original_edit'] = 'original';
$txt['ph_current_edit'] = 'current';
$txt['ph_current_original_edit'] = 'current, original';

$txt['ph_no_edits'] = 'No one has edited this post yet';

$txt['compare_selected'] = 'Compare Selected';
$txt['restore'] = 'Restore';

$txt['permissionname_posthistory_view'] = 'View Edit History of Post';
$txt['permissionhelp_posthistory_view'] = 'Allows user to view past versions of post.';
$txt['permissionname_posthistory_view_own'] = 'Own post';
$txt['permissionname_posthistory_view_any'] = 'Any post';
$txt['permissionname_posthistory_restore'] = 'Restore older version';
$txt['permissionhelp_posthistory_restore'] = 'Allows user to start editing from older version of post.';
$txt['permissionname_posthistory_restore_own'] = 'Own post';
$txt['permissionname_posthistory_restore_any'] = 'Any post';
$txt['permissionname_simple_posthistory_view_own'] = 'View edit history of their own post';
$txt['permissionname_simple_posthistory_view_any'] = 'View edit history of someone else\'s post';
$txt['permissionname_simple_posthistory_restore_own'] = 'Restore older version of own post';
$txt['permissionname_simple_posthistory_restore_any'] = 'Restore older versions of someone else\'s post';

$txt['cannot_posthistory_view_any'] = 'You are not allowed to view history of this post!';
$txt['cannot_posthistory_restore_own'] = 'You are not allowed to start editing from older version of your posts!';
$txt['cannot_posthistory_restore_any'] = 'You are not allowed to start editing from older version of someone else\'s post!';
// Post History END

Kolya

Quote from: Gryzor on January 25, 2018, 05:10:55 AM
Correct, the edits list is only visible to mods/admins

This mod adds a bunch of permissions in SMF. These permissions decide who can see older post versions or even restore them.

Gryzor

Quote from: Kolya on January 25, 2018, 09:53:03 AM
A better fix would be to open Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php (or whatever language you use) and add this line somewhere:

Ahhh thanks so much, this seems to have hit the spot! :)

SMiFFER

I am using this mod and I like it very much.

One question though: The messages-history file in my database gets a bit big now

Is there any option to "purge" outdated changes?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Kolya

Advertisement: