News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

*Banging head against desk - RAPIDLY*

Started by atsdotha, May 24, 2009, 04:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atsdotha

A few weeks ago I upgraded from 1.8 to 2.0. Yeah, I know it was RC1, but I couldn't help it  ;D

anyway, after the upgrade, I noticed several issues. Inability to create new boards, profile information missing, including able to change, modify, upload custom avatar. I basically just have a lot of features that I can't use, because the section is either missing or blank.

So, I installed SMF in a different directory, uploaded the upgrade package, ran the upgrade, and ran into the same issues.

I created another directory, uploaded the full installation and ran the install, and it's working fine.

As a test, I mapped the database path on the full install to the original database, and am still seeing all of the original issues. Could this be that the database was corrupted, or was not updated properly during the update? How can I tell? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

atsdotha

Also, and I apologize for instantly bumping my own thread, I have thought about backing up the database completely, installing a fresh install in the original directory, and importing the database. However, for some reason I am having problems exporting the database from the cpanel and phpmyadmin. It either times out, or I get a message the file is corrupted.

Antechinus

Missing or blank sections is usually a file problem. Often language files can give this result if they're wrong. Are you running UTF-8 or ISO?

It is possible that the db upgrade script didn't run properly and skipped something. As a quick first option try running it a second time (just load upgrade.php and point your browser at it again).

Re exporting: how big is the db? Can you get it to export from SMF admin? Failing that, do you have shell access?

atsdotha

Thank you for your response. DB is 141 MB.

UTF-8 I believe, how do I check for sure?

I've ran upgrade.php 3 times, and still the same problem. I'm afraid I'm only complicating it more.

Antechinus

Look under Admin >> Languages >> Settings.

atsdotha

I don't have an admin ->languages ->settings

Antechinus

You should have it if you are running 2.0 RC1. Screenshot attached.

Anyway: did you get any warnings about out of date languages files when running the upgrade script?
Have you checked that all your languages files are correct and up to date?

atsdotha

I did see some errors. How do I ensure the language files are up to date?

atsdotha

here is a screenshot that shows what I have under my configuration tab...

Antechinus

Use the admin drop menus and you'll see what is in my screenshot.

You fix languages files by getting the latest upgrade pack and extracting the languages files, then uploading them.

atsdotha

what theme do i use to see the drop down menus? or is this a setting?

Antechinus

It's a setting. Click the little black >> icon just to the right of where it says "Main".
In RC1 you have the option of the old sidebar menus or new drop menus in Admin and Profile. You can toggle between the two alternatives.

atsdotha

the language files fixed it... you sir, are my new best friend. thank you.

Antechinus

You're welcome. I'll mark this as solved if you're fine now.

atsdotha

Advertisement: