News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Clickable Subject Area

Started by anunlike, March 25, 2005, 01:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anunlike

I'm wanting to request a mod that will allow (only in) the 'Subject' area or the "box" to be clickable. To clarify, I could, just as I can click on the text, click on the "box" or the background for each specific subject, to do the same thing that clicking on the text does.

So, in other words, instead of clicking on 'Clickable Subject Area', I could click on the grey (the color here) area and have it function in the exact same way it would function when I click on the text.

It's not necessary, of course, but would be a very nice thing, anyway.

Personally, I'd really like to see it as a feature (something that the Admin can turn off or on). But, I guess it wouldn't be feature material, but mod material, at least.

[Unknown]

But, what if you wanted to go to the latest unread post (the NEW button) instead of the first page?  Then this would be useless, wouldn't it?

And it'd be darn annoying if it always went to the newest post, because then the first page would be troublesome to get to.

-[Unknown]

anunlike

So, it's not possible to make it function the same way as if you were just clicking on the text? You can't do that, keep the NEW button there while functioning and be able to jump to a specfic page and have the Child Boards work and do this?

My ideal set-up would be where the NEW button was placed in front of or to the left of the subject text and then you'd have all the extra room on the right to click on. Or couldn't a new column be made to put the NEW icons in (or perhaps move them to an existing one)? I know that I wouldn't mind another column.

Other forums I visit have this and I and a lot of the other members seem to like it. It's just easier to click on the larger area, then to click on the (sometimes seemingly too small) text.

I really don't know much about all of this. So, if it's not possible or not very probable to either function appropriately or to be functional, it wouldn't surprise me.

I'd definitely like to try it out, if it seems worthwhile.

[Unknown]

Quote from: anunlike on March 25, 2005, 07:37:14 PM
So, it's not possible to make it function the same way as if you were just clicking on the text? You can't do that, keep the NEW button there while functioning and be able to jump to a specfic page and have the Child Boards work and do this?

My ideal set-up would be where the NEW button was placed in front of or to the left of the subject text and then you'd have all the extra room on the right to click on. Or couldn't a new column be made to put the NEW icons in (or perhaps move them to an existing one)? I know that I wouldn't mind another column.

My point is that it would decrease usability.  I usually have no problem clicking on a "seemingly too small link", but sometimes I miss click.  If the default were like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXYYXXXXXX

Where the YY is the new button, and clicking *anywhere* else goes to the first page... if I misclicked, I would feel horrible!  For one thing, there'd be no reasonable way to fix my mistake; I've now read the topic, so I have to manually find the page and scroll to where I left off.  A pain, indeed.

The alternative is this:

YYXXXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYY

Then, if you misclick intending to go to the first page, you go to the last page.  Again, very annoying.  IMHO, it would be less annoying, but it'd still be very annoying.

This is of course possible; I'm not saying it isn't.  I'm saying that I probably would hate using any forum that used it.  And this comes from the stand point of using this forum and others a lot - see my post count.

-[Unknown]

anunlike

I definitely see what you're saying. I'm just not too sure of how much of a concern it'd be for my forums. Also, since I'm not used to this particular change, I'd like to see what they'd be like with it. I'd really like to, at least, try it if someone would be willing enough to help create it.

I'd think if I were to move the NEW button to another column or something like that, it would help to alleviate that problem. If you were to try to click on a Child Board or try to jump to a specific page, it'd still be easy to misclick and go to a page you didn't want to, but it wouldn't mess up that particular feature / function of the NEW button.

Thanks for the replies, [Unknown].

Advertisement: