Board Notification Mod - 1.2.2 released

Started by SabreOfParadise, May 28, 2009, 12:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SabreOfParadise

You have to uninstall 1.1.5 BEFORE installing 1.1.6 and BEFORE updating to SMF 1.1.11!
If you update to SMF 1.1.11 first you cannot uninstall 1.1.5 anymore. That is exactly why I have released 1.1.6.

I recommend to make backups before EVERY change so that you can go back to the old state in case of errors like these here.

Why did you install 1.1.6 although two file tests failed? Please never do that again!

Do you have a backup?

rob54

I understand.

I did update to 1.1.11 before doing anything. Then I saw there was the Board Noficifaction Mod 1.1.6. I downloaded that but did not click the Install button where it listed the errors. But it still appeared on the Package Manager list.

I'll have to hope my hosters have a backup from the day before.

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: rob54 on December 02, 2009, 11:19:45 AM
I downloaded that but did not click the Install button where it listed the errors. But it still appeared on the Package Manager list.

Then you can savely delete 1.1.6 from the list. But there was no code change anyway as I said.

It seems I have to add an <upgrade></upgrade> section. I have to admit that I didn't know this tag exists.  :-[
I'm currently trying to implement the <upgrade> section but it doesn't work by now. I will update this posting when I have news.

Edit: Fixed, please download the new Board Notification Mod 1.1.6. I have added the <upgrade> section and had to include a dummy modification file because the version only adds support for 1.1.11 but has no real code changes. I have changed the code so that it will support all further 1.1.* (in theory which means if there are no code changes in the changed files).

rob54

OK. As it happens, in the meantime, I contacted my hosters who restored from a backup from a few hours before I made the changes. So it reverted to 1.1.10. I was then able to uninstall and delete mod 1.1.5 then upgrade the forum to 1.1.11 then upload and install 1.1.6.

So, just to be clear in my mind, is what I did yesterday as described above, what is now current, or are the changes you made to 1.1.6 different to what I have.

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: rob54 on December 03, 2009, 11:23:52 AM
or are the changes you made to 1.1.6 different to what I have.

Yes, there are differences: If SMF 1.1.12 will be released you will have to uninstall the old Board Notification Mod 1.1.6 first and install the new one. The new one supports SMF versions until 1.1.99 which means it can be uninstalled there out-of-the-box with the condition that the SMF code which is changed by the Mod is not changed by the new SMF version. Else the uninstall routine cannot find the code changed by the Mod.

I therefore recommend to uninstall the old 1.1.6 and download and install the new one. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

shumilica

Any chance on making this mod work with RC2? Willing to donate a small amount... maybe i'm not the only one.
Today, if you're not confused it means you're not thinking clear!

pittu

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: shumilica on December 10, 2009, 03:01:00 AM
Any chance on making this mod work with RC2? Willing to donate a small amount... maybe i'm not the only one.

Doesn't look good because I would have to do it in my free time which is booked up currently and for the next weeks.

@infostrides & pittu:
Nice to know that the Mod is useful for some people.   :)

pittu

I changed the forum charset to UTF-8 from DEFAULT iso-8859-1

I can uninstall from old english files and reinstall on new utf-8 files through package manager?

pittu

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: pittu on January 14, 2010, 09:26:04 AM
Anybody answer my question please?

I don't know and this is not a MOD specific quesion so I suggest to ask it in the general SMF support section.

pittu

pittu

Anybody using it with SMF 2.0 RC2? Because on mods page in the drop down there is RC2 version to parse.

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: pittu on February 03, 2010, 08:00:32 PMBecause on mods page in the drop down there is RC2 version to parse.

That's the drop down box for the manual installation instructions (which lists EVERY SMF version!).

This MOD will definately not work with SMF 2!

pittu

I installed it with SMF 1.1.11

I upgraded SMF to SMF 2.0 RC2 WITHOUT uninstalling the mod.

Now I am not seeing 'uninstall' link in Packages > Browse packages next to this mod. Not sure how to go about uninstalling it. Can you please tell me how to remove it from files?

pittu

Hi Sabre,

Can you tell me how to uninstall manually?

pittu

Quote from: shumilica on December 10, 2009, 03:01:00 AM

Same here. I can send you $20.00 worth beer :D

SabreOfParadise

Quote from: pittu on February 05, 2010, 12:01:46 PMI upgraded SMF to SMF 2.0 RC2 WITHOUT uninstalling the mod

Bad idea. The uninstall routine only supports SMF 1.

I would generally recommend to uninstall all Mods before doing such an upgrade or first make sure they work with the new version. It is less work than having to deal with potential problems afterwards.

Quote from: pittu on February 05, 2010, 06:36:01 PM
Can you tell me how to uninstall manually?

On the source code side you can simply take the changed files from the original SMF 2.0 RC2 installation.

After that I think you can simply delete the Mod. If you want to uninstall the database entries use the uninstall_db.php file included in the ZIP file of the Mod.

Advertisement: