News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Merging/Converting from Community Server

Started by ffingers, June 04, 2009, 11:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ffingers

So I will keep this short. I currently have an SMF forum with 200+ members and 37k+ posts.... Another site that is in the same genre as mine has decided it would closed its doors and is open to letting my site take on its users and old posts.

i don't necessarily need all forums and all posts, but rather certain forums and either all or the most recent posts....but i DEFINITELY need all the members and their PWs...

i cannot find ANYTHING for converting from community server at all...ANYWHERE.....not for converting to another forum software that SMF has a converter for....nothing....so i am completely stumped...honestly if i could just get the new website data in the correct format, i could selectively insert the posts and forums as i saw fit, but i am sort of at a loss at the moment

is there anyone that can help me, or at the very least point me in the direction of a guide to start making a converting tool. i am relatively skilled in mySQL....enough to be dangerous so i am thinking i could do it with some help, i just have never undertook anything like this before....

help?

tony

ffingers

ThorstenE

Sorry, there is currently no converter for "Community Server" available ... If you are skilled in MySQL you can pick up one of our converters from the downloads page..  I recommend to start with a small one (THWBoard is a good start). The converter scripts are based on two files, convert.php and a file [forum]_to_smf.sql).

You need to modify the [forum]_to_smf.sql file and replate the SELECT statements with the Community Servers database layout.

ffingers

okay...that may work....i am glad someone decided to finally respond....

i am fairly competent in sql...would it just be a matter of mapping fields??? i was going to do that manually...just try and incorporate a data dump of the community server forum into SMF database format (i fresh install)...then merge the two SMF forums into one...

thoughts?

ThorstenE

Quote from: ffingers on June 12, 2009, 04:07:21 PM
i am fairly competent in sql...would it just be a matter of mapping fields???
yes, almost mapping the fields .. example for the categories:

/******************************************************************************/
--- Converting categories...
/******************************************************************************/

TRUNCATE {$to_prefix}categories;

---* {$to_prefix}categories
SELECT
categoryid AS ID_CAT, categoryname AS name, categoryorder AS catOrder
FROM {$from_prefix}category;

Sometimes we use php code to replace/ convert the  old BBC or fix other things..

Advertisement: