To move a SMF-forum

Started by totaltutankoll, June 14, 2009, 04:31:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norv

Option 1: You can copy SMF files in the root directory of your site (probably /public_html), instead of a subfolder /public_html/smf. And run installation from there.
Option 2: (less commonly done), you can put SMF files in a subdirectory, like /public_html/smf, but, in your hosting package, assign the name "domain.com" to point to your subdirectory.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You mean to hide the exact URL location? I would advice against it for multiple reasons.
It is better for your users, for SEO purposes and the functionality of SMF to keep the URL reflecting the actual location on the forum.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Norv

I suppose potential problems would be with option 2? I'm not sure I understand what the problem with SEO could be, since the only available URLs for anyone including search engines are simply those of www.domain.com, which is exactly the same with option 1.
As for functionality of SMF, again what would the problem be? It seems to me even easier not to risk any interference, while if it was in the root directory one may need (silly example) an index.php of another software and perhaps overwrite mistakenly, or may need an /images folder for another web application, and so on.

Of course, if you know for sure that it's only SMF that it's going to be installed there, it seems understandable to simply drop it in /public_html: option 1.
Personally, though, I never do that. Though sometimes I wished a direct URL (because it was the only thing installed at that URL for a while, so it seemed useless to have a longer URL, i.e., harder to remember), so I simply assigned the www.domain.com to the smf subfolder. In time, if one adds a few more pages of a website around the forum, it's easy to only change the folder to which www.domain.com points, to the new site now wrapping around the forum. For users, it looks like you added an enhanced homepage, while no address changed for them (www.domain.com).
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

totaltutankoll

An update of my forum is this. Nothing works like it should since the move. I've made a fresh installation and some things work and most of them don't. I can not install any mods, some mods are installed and can not be changed, some are installed and unusable. A complete 100% disaster and I received the best of support and yet we're really confused.  :(
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Non, je ne regrette rien!

N3RVE

Can you take time to explain to us, in detail, what isn't working?

-[n3rve]
Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

totaltutankoll

Quote from: [n3rve] on June 18, 2009, 04:35:31 PM
Can you take time to explain to us, in detail, what isn't working?

-[n3rve]
What's not working;
1. sending news
2. the mods, some seem to be installed and are not working some doesn't seem to be installed but are there. No mods can be installed or removed.
3. I can not manage my boards
QuoteUnknown column 'b.twitter_enable' in 'field list'
Fil: /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Subs-Boards.php
Rad: 1032
which seems to be related to one of the mods that seem to be installed but is not being seen anywhere accept in the board management and the bottom of the page.
4. the forum doesn't seem to pick up changes in the language files (and this is the part I'm actually good at..)

There are probably more errors but none I've come to think of right now. :(
Started out with a SMF-forum a couple of years ago went on to Dynamic web (read dynamic crap) and am now back in the land of Simple Machines.

Norv

Please check your error log and post the errors you find, it sounds like there could be many of them. Also, you might want to consider splitting the problems in more topics, I think actually you already started to do so? It will be more helpful and easier to solve if every issue is treated separately.

totaltutankoll

Where do I find it? ::)

never mind I found it.

What exactly do you need? ???

Norv

Please copy paste here as many errors as it says :)
Though there's no need to list repeated errors (no problem if you do, either).

totaltutankoll

I don't know if I could  a report out of them but:

QuoteDatabase: Unknown column 'b.twitter_enable' in 'field list'
Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file
File: /hsphere/local/home/xx/y.se/forum/Sources/Subs-Boards.php
Line: 1032

8: Undefined index: twitter_menu_item
File: /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Admin.php
Line: 279

Critical errors; are the ones of one file not being writable (easy fix) and errors on the open id, which I don't use or intend to use anyway.

Quote8: Undefined index: twitter_menu_item
File: /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Admin.php
Line: 279

This is a mod that no one should se yet and I don't get it how a member can cause an error on it!
Quote8: Undefined index: smfgallery_menu
File: /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 3880

Same as above but another line.
Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message
8: Undefined index: smflinks_menu
File: /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 3887

And on and on it goes 4083 of them :-[ to be exact, but these are the ones I've identified as returning errors.   :(

Norv

1. Do you have Twitter mod installed or did you try uninstalling it? It looks like a piece of its code is causing trouble, and I could try to remove that piece from Subs-Boards.php and Admin.php, if indeed that is the problem, if you uninstalled it (or tried to). You can always install it later.
2. How about SMF Gallery or SMF Media Gallery, do you have one of them installed, or did you try uninstalling it? I could remove the remaining code (causing troubles now), if it's uninstalled now.

totaltutankoll

I enclose a little dump of my packages and the lovely mess of my forum:

Simple Portale is installed and as far as I know working properly

Ad Management is installed and working

Gallery Lite seems to be installed and working

Links seems alive and kicking

Social bookmarks alive and kicking

Twitter profile alive and kicking

Hide post authors installed and working

Twitter mod installed and not working even though it feels like some smart man from this forum has been there and doing something cause now it actually shows in the admin menu and that's a new experience.  ::)

Norv

Please post as attachment your /Sources/Subs.php file.

totaltutankoll

Norv

Please post also /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php and eventually /Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english-utf8.php if you have this one too.
It seems they are missing a few things. Were they copied over from the old location, or reinstalled/copied from the standard installation package? Just wondering, why they are suddenly missing a message or so.

totaltutankoll

Here's some more but the english utf-8 it actually missing in my backup ::)

here's a new error as well, when clicking on the refound twitter mod admin this it what it says
QuoteFatal error: Call to undefined function ModifyTwitterSettings() in /hsphere/local/home/xx/yy.se/forum/Sources/Admin.php on line 609

So I enclose that one as well O:)

Norv

What language does your forum use currently?

totaltutankoll

Quote from: Norv on June 19, 2009, 12:40:41 PM
What language does your forum use currently?
english and swedish.utf8

Norv

SMF Gallery
SMF Gallery misses a message (or more) in a language file.
In Modifications.english.php, it seems to have them: please open the file with a text editor and see that from
//Begin SMF Gallery Text Strings
to
//END SMF Gallery Text Strings
there are its text messages. (or button texts, and so on).
You need them in the corresponding language file of any language you use on the forum.
If you don't have all these lines, you'll get an error (undefined something). That is, it should only give you some of these errors when using a language for which the Modifications.{language}.php does not exist or does not contain the text, that Modifications.english.php has.

Does your Swedish file exist and contain a line with the text "$txt['smfgallery_menu']" ? If not, I'd say you should add it.
Perhaps you did have a Swedish file, before the move, in a backup?

totaltutankoll

Quote from: Norv on June 19, 2009, 01:32:43 PM
SMF Gallery
SMF Gallery misses a message (or more) in a language file.
In Modifications.english.php, it seems to have them: please open the file with a text editor and see that from
//Begin SMF Gallery Text Strings
to
//END SMF Gallery Text Strings
there are its text messages. (or button texts, and so on).
You need them in the corresponding language file of any language you use on the forum.
If you don't have all these lines, you'll get an error (undefined something). That is, it should only give you some of these errors when using a language for which the Modifications.{language}.php does not exist or does not contain the text, that Modifications.english.php has.

Does your Swedish file exist and contain a line with the text "$txt['smfgallery_menu']" ? If not, I'd say you should add it.
Perhaps you did have a Swedish file, before the move, in a backup?
The Swedish and English file looks "just the same" if you know what I mean.

Advertisement: