News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I need a walkthrough please

Started by MATTEK, June 15, 2009, 03:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MATTEK

I've finally found time to do this upgrade from the beta to RC1. Somone lay it out for me or link me please.
SMF 2.0.1

Like Comics, Books, Movies or T.V. Shows? Read about them here!!

MATTEK

First question: I'm getting an error when I use the backup tool. Error occurs in IE and Firefox.

QuoteError 500 - Internal server error

An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

Second: What address do I enter in my FTP to connect to my forum server?
SMF 2.0.1

Gary

Upgrade SMF

Upgrading from the Beta to RC1 is the same as any other larger upgrade.

1. Then use a different backup method such as phpMyAdmin or letting upgrade.php do it for you. (I'm assuming that you're trying to do it via the Admin Center)

2. ftp.your-domain-name-here.com
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

MATTEK

Quote from: Gazmanafc on June 15, 2009, 03:23:08 PM
Upgrade SMF

Upgrading from the Beta to RC1 is the same as any other larger upgrade.

1. Then use a different backup method such as phpMyAdmin or letting upgrade.php do it for you. (I'm assuming that you're trying to do it via the Admin Center)

2. ftp.your-domain-name-here.com

I've never upgraded a forum before. I don't know how to use phpAdmin.

1. What is upgrade.php?

2. Using the FTP advertised on your website  ftp.the-ush.com will not work. My username and password seem to be correct. TO be sure - I use the same username that I've set up in the 1&1 control panel, correct?
SMF 2.0.1

Gary

1. upgrade.php is the tool that is used to upgrade your forum's database from one version to another. It also has the ability to backup the data before doing said upgrade.

2. If ftp. fails, try ftp://ftp. instead. And yes, it would be the username and password you use to connect to your control panel.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

MATTEK

1. This is in my Admin control panel on the website itself, right?

2. MY log in to the 1&1 or the FTP access name I created inside the 1&1?

BTW I've connected once, but it wont connect again.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

Gary

You download it as part of the large upgrade package. Upload the entire thing over your current installation.
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

MATTEK

I don't understand. Where do I get the upgrade package and how do I upload it over my entire current installation?
SMF 2.0.1

Gary

You have to upload it via FTP. You get the upgrade package on the download page of this site: http://simplemachines.org/download
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

MATTEK

Download all three and upload all 3 correct?

The zip, tar.gz and tar.bz2
SMF 2.0.1

Gary

No. Just one. It doesn't matter which one. You'll need to extract the contents of the package you download onto your computer first, then upload said contents.

Seriously, read the documentation, it outlines everything for you: Upgrade SMF
Gary M. Gadsdon
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

MATTEK

Yes, I know it does. However, I've never done this before And I question some of the documentation.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

I am having some series issue however. I've extracted all files and I'm pretty sure I know how to do this.

My issue is that I can't access my webexplorer. It tells me recent changes are have been made it it takes 2-3 hours. I've been waiting over 8 hours. I'm thinking this is why I can't connect with my FTP. Any ideas?

Also, earlier you said I need the latge upgrade. I'm already running 2.0 Beta 4 and the descriptions says it for people not running Beta4. The small upgrade description seems to suit what I need does it not?
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

Norv

Quote from: MATTEK on June 16, 2009, 03:20:03 PM
I am having some series issue however. I've extracted all files and I'm pretty sure I know how to do this.

My issue is that I can't access my webexplorer. It tells me recent changes are have been made it it takes 2-3 hours. I've been waiting over 8 hours. I'm thinking this is why I can't connect with my FTP. Any ideas?

If I understand you correctly, you can't access your FTP account. I don't know what webexplorer is, but it's not from SMF. The problems you may have with your FTP account however, are problems concerning you host. It sounds like you should contact them and tell them you can't access your FTP account.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but please feel free to tell if that is the case.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

MATTEK

Quote from: Norv on June 17, 2009, 04:46:51 PM
Quote from: MATTEK on June 16, 2009, 03:20:03 PM

If I understand you correctly, you can't access your FTP account. I don't know what webexplorer is, but it's not from SMF. The problems you may have with your FTP account however, are problems concerning you host. It sounds like you should contact them and tell them you can't access your FTP account.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, but please feel free to tell if that is the case.

Webexplorer is in the 1&1 control panel. I'm pretty sure it's SMF.
SMF 2.0.1

Norv

If webexplorer is in 1and1 control panel, then it's a part of 1and1, and if you can't access your webexplorer, then please ask 1and1 why you can't access your webexplorer.
Please eventually post a screenshot with the error so we can understand better.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Antechinus

Webexplorer is nothing to do with SMF. It must be supplied by 1&1. Be aware that I have known of a lot of 1&1 accounts that do not allow upgrading or installation of mods or even changing permissions on files. You can probably guess my opinion of them. I suggest talking to 1&1, if you can get them, and finding out exactly what your account allows.

MATTEK

I see. I had no idea you guys were separate.
SMF 2.0.1

N3RVE

Ralph "[n3rve]" Otowo
Former Marketing Co-ordinator, Simple Machines.
ralph [at] simplemachines [dot] org                       
Quote"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

I'm connected with my FTP. When I browse my computer and open the folder I want to upload - the folder is empty. Nothing inside. I've downloaded and unzipped.
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Then you must have extracted to another folder. If you can't find the files then extract again, assuming you still have the zip.

MATTEK

Ok. So by followingn the instructions I've copied the files and pasted trhem into the FTP. I'm not done doing all of the files yet, but now when I load my website I get a fatal error. Fatal error: Call to undefined function: loaddatabase() in /homepages/46/d274007555/htdocs/index.php on line 79

What happened?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Finish uploading all the files. Then run upgrade.php.

MATTEK

I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you link me to the file?
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Thank you. I appreciate this so much. I'm not done, though  O:)

All files are uploading as we speak. To set permissions, the instructions say i have to run 'chmod'. What is chmod?

Also I got al error during the upload from my FTP

[02:49:53] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.
[02:49:53] Client closed the connection.
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

The error just means the connection dropped. Re-open it and continue uploading.

CHMOD is setting file permissions. You can do that with your control panel or with ftp once the files are loaded.

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 01, 2009, 02:55:21 AM
The error just means the connection dropped. Re-open it and continue uploading.

CHMOD is setting file permissions. You can do that with your control panel or with ftp once the files are loaded.

Alright. It's back on track. However, even when the connection dropped the files in the transfer que looked like they were still transfering. Will I have to re upload those specific files or have they successfully been transfered?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Not sure. If in doubt I'd reload them just to be certain they are in.

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 01, 2009, 03:00:00 AM
Not sure. If in doubt I'd reload them just to be certain they are in.

Ouch. I had no idea what to do when it happened. I'll never know which files they were. Does this mean I should stop the upload and start all over?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Just keep going. Usually if a connection drops the upload will pick up where it left off. Might as well see how you go. If the installer freaks at any point you'll know you have some more loading to do.

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 01, 2009, 03:12:16 AM
Just keep going. Usually if a connection drops the upload will pick up where it left off. Might as well see how you go. If the installer freaks at any point you'll know you have some more loading to do.

I decided to redo it one folder at a time. Seems to be going smoother.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

http://www.yourdomain.tld/forum/upgrade.php
(where Forum is the location of your forum)

That part confuses me. 
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Just type in the address to your forum follwed by /upgrade.php

So if the forum is at http://www.yourforum.com/ you type in http://www.yourforum.com/upgrade.php

MATTEK

Woa. Every thread has triple avatars for the posters and I can't post. IT gives me an error when I try to post quick reply or advanced reply.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Error:
QuoteThere have been numerous language and template changes since the previous version of SMF. On this step the upgrader can attempt to automatically make these changes in your templates to save you from doing so manually.
Found 4 language files and 0 templates requiring an update so far.
Bypassing template file "...Themes/default/ManageSearch.template.php"...    Incomplete.

Also when I click on the PM link i get

QuoteCheck if the PM is available to the current user. function isAccessiblePM($pmID, $validFor = 'in_or_outbox') { global $user_info, $smcFunc; $request = $smcFunc['db_query']('', ' SELECT pm.id_member_from = {int:id_current_member} AND pm.deleted_by_sender = {int:not_deleted} AS valid_for_outbox, pmr.id_pm IS NOT NULL AS valid_for_inbox FROM {db_prefix}personal_messages AS pm LEFT JOIN {db_prefix}pm_recipients AS pmr ON (pmr.id_pm = pm.id_pm AND pmr.id_member = {int:id_current_member} AND pmr.deleted = {int:not_deleted}) WHERE pm.id_pm = {int:id_pm} AND ((pm.id_member_from = {int:id_current_member} AND pm.deleted_by_sender = {int:not_deleted}) OR pmr.id_pm IS NOT NULL)', array( 'id_pm' => $pmID, 'id_current_member' => $user_info['id'], 'not_deleted' => 0, ) ); if ($smcFunc['db_num_rows']($request) === 0) { $smcFunc['db_free_result']($request); return false; } $validationResult = $smcFunc['db_fetch_assoc']($request); $smcFunc['db_free_result']($request); switch ($validFor) { case 'inbox': return !empty($validationResult['valid_for_inbox']); break; case 'outbox': return !empty($validationResult['valid_for_outbox']); break; case 'in_or_outbox': return !empty($validationResult['valid_for_inbox']) || !empty($validationResult['valid_for_outbox']); break; default: trigger_error('Undefined validation type given', E_USER_ERROR); break; } } ?>
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: load_onlinecolors() in /homepages/46/d274007555/htdocs/Sources/PersonalMessage.php on line 807

AND this...

QuoteMAJOR SECURITY RISK:

You have not removed upgrade.php!

That is on my homepage
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Ok. So I am now able to post, but I can not open the PM box. Nor can I use the "Featuers and Options" option in the Admin CP.
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

You must not have uploaded all the files correctly.

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 01, 2009, 04:59:12 PM
You must not have uploaded all the files correctly.

Ok. So re-upload all the files into my FTP? Will I have to do the large upgrade or can I just run the small upgrade?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Try just uploading for a start. You may not need to run the upgrade script. Just upload everything except upgrade.php. In fact to save time you can skip uploading all the images too. I often do this when I need to run an upgrade via ftp. Loading all the images folders takes a lot of time.

What I would do is load the Sources folder and everything in the default theme folder except for the default/images folder. Skip that one. This way you get all the critical files in place without wasting time on ones you don't need. If an image is missing you will notice and it can be fixed later.

MATTEK

Quote from: Antechinus on July 01, 2009, 05:55:04 PM
Try just uploading for a start. You may not need to run the upgrade script. Just upload everything except upgrade.php. In fact to save time you can skip uploading all the images too. I often do this when I need to run an upgrade via ftp. Loading all the images folders takes a lot of time.

What I would do is load the Sources folder and everything in the default theme folder except for the default/images folder. Skip that one. This way you get all the critical files in place without wasting time on ones you don't need. If an image is missing you will notice and it can be fixed later.

Awsome. Thank you so much. I'll let you know what happeneds. Can't do it now. -
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Another thing I'd like to address :

We had a forum thread topic of "Random Images"  and now when we view the thread all images are gone. This is possibly a transfer error - correct?

ALSO - I've fixed the PM issue, but the Features and Options link in the admin CP still does not work.
SMF 2.0.1

MATTEK

Alright. Everything is fixed. The only thing that troubles me is I have about 4 Affiliate bars across the bottom of my forum. Any ideas?
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Sounds like the affiliates mod wasn't happy with the upgrade. Better ask the guy who made it as I've never used the thing.

MATTEK

We're all good. Upgrade went well. Thank you for the assistance.
SMF 2.0.1

Antechinus

Welcome. If you're not getting any more errors please mark this as solved. Gets it off our support list that way. ;)

MATTEK

How do I mark it? I thought it was something you guys did. I'll check.

EDIT - Got it.

SMF 2.0.1

Advertisement: