News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Good Post/Bad Post Mod

Started by OutofOrder, June 17, 2009, 10:08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutofOrder

Good Post/Bad Post Mod v2.0.4
- click to go to the download page  -

Updated: December 11th 2010

This Mod will add post voting to your forum in a user-moderated fashion. The outcome is a bit of help to the forum moderators, with the nice extra that it resembles democracy a little. It gives members and moderators a general idea of who's a worthy poster and who isn't.

Features
The following features are supported in both SMF 1.1.x and SMF 2 RC3+:

• Post voting, either up or down. One vote per post per member.
  • Posts voted below a given number are hidden. ("Bad posts")
  • "Respect" is displayed for each member both in posts and in profile. Respect is the sum of all received post votes. (Pseudo Karma system)
  • Members choose to either hide Bad posts, or grey them out, or none and display them normally.
  • Members may view hidden posts.
  • New statistics tracked: Top 10 Post Voters & 10 Most Respected members.
  • Toggle post voting by board.
  • Customizable: Membergroup permissions include "Vote a post", and "View hidden posts". Bad post hiding/greying-out/bypassing are also theme settings.
  • Configurable settings: The post-hiding score, toggle Respect display and toggle new Stats display.
  • Works either with or without Javascript enabled (includes AJAX post voting).
New in GP/BP v2.0+!
SMF 2 RC3+ installations also support these features:

• More voting button sets.
  • Toggle voters lists to see who voted on a post (and what was the vote).
  • Option: disable negative votes.
  • Option: Minimum post count required to vote.
  • Toggle "Messages of the week", a list of the top voted messages of the last days placed at the Info center.
  • Admin tools: powerful vote search feature. Edit votes, post scores, member's Respect values. Recount totals.
  • Admin info: All GP/BP actions taken at the Administration panel are now logged. (Requires "Moderation, Administration and User Logs" enabled at the Core features to view logged actions.)

Languages supported
GP/BP v2.0+ is currently supporting these languages:

• English
  • English UTF-8
  • Spanish (LA) and Spanish (LA UTF-8)
  • Russian and Russian UTF-8 (courtesy of Bugo)
GP/BP v1.1.3 is currently supporting these languages:

• English
  • English UTF-8
  • Spanish (LA) and Spanish (LA UTF-8)
  • Turkish and Turkish UTF-8 (courtesy of Php Coder Turkish)
  • French and French UTF-8 (courtesy of kakanika)
New/Updated translations are welcomed and very appreciated. :D

Much special thanks to Php Coder Turkish, kakanika & Bugo for the Turkish, French and Russian translations respectively!

Changelog
Version 2.0.4 - December 11 2010

• Now supporting SMF 2 RC4.
  • Added: Russian and Russian UTF-8 translations.
Version 2.0.3 - September 30 2010

• Fixed: Guests couldn't view voters lists even if allowed to.
  • Fixed: Some strings left out of the language files.
  • Added: Allow counting only positive votes towards user Respect.
Version 2.0.2 - September 29 2010

• Fixed Board Index bug ("Database error") in inactive/unvoted forums.
  • Fix: Removed duplicate minus symbol in MOTW.
  • Dropped support for SMF2 RC2.
  • Added: Change displayed icon when hovering a voting button.
  • Added: Allow users to hide a manually revealed Bad Post.
Version 2.0.1 - March 11 2010

• Fixed Stats page styles according to RC3.
  • Added admin tool: Recount totals.
Version 2.0 - March 5 2010

• Added voter lists interface.
  • Added ability to restrict to positive votes only.
  • Added "Messages of the week" interface.
  • Added post count-based voting restriction.
  • Added vote "search and edit" admin tools.
  • Added post score edit, Respect value edit, and Database cleanup admin tools.
  • Added timestamps to post votes.
  • Added new voting button sets.
  • Reorganized GP/BP admin area.
  • Added logging for GP/BP administrative actions.
Version 1.1.3 - February 19 2010

• Fixed SMF2 RC2 problems.
  • Dropped support for SMF2 RC1.
  • Small fixes aiming for a friendlier integration with custom themes.
Version 1.1.2 - July 15 2009

• Fixed a number of bugs relative to template loading.
  • A small aesthetic fix.
  • Fixed a major bug regarding non-existant topics in forums with GP/BP enabled.
  • Little grammar fix for the English version.
Version 1.1.1 - June 26 2009

• Added SMF 1.1.9+ support.
Version 1.1 - June 20 2009

• Fixed a major bug in Profile.template.php that broke the php syntax.
  • Enhanced Javascript hidden post displaying.
  • The interface code should now be friendlier to custom themes.
  • Cleaned up the installing modifications.
  • A small semantic change (it doesn't mention "Bad post" in the member's profile theme options anymore).
  • A small fix to provide better SQL compatibility.
Version 1.0 - June 17 2009

• Released.

Antes

heinandar

OutofOrder

Hi Antes, thanks for trying it out.
Edit: judging by the screenshot, it looks like you haven't given the proper permissions to vote (if you wanted the arrows to show up). Please enable the Good Post/Bad Post permissions for those membergroups you want to participate with it.

I'm going to add a guide for forum admins to make this mod work with custom themes. :) I'll soon have an update on this.

Quote from: heinandar on June 17, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
Hoping for 1.1.9
Hello heinandar. I have not considered to make a 1.1.9 version of it, mainly because having to support the two versions is a task I'm not sure I want to do yet.

franklinrony

excellent job like social websites
http://twitter.com/franklinrony

Entra y aprende a ser un webmaster
www.sv-blog.com
--Si pides ayuda al menos agradece el soporte recibido----

Özgür

Finally! Thanks OutofOrder. Can i translate to turkish ?
So Long

4Kstore

Thanks, this is a nice mod!!!

¡¡NEW MOD: Sparkles User Names!!!

Sakae

Great MOD!! I was hoping for this for a long time... I was using Thank-o-Matic, and wanted to install it twice to use one as "Thank you" (original) and other as "Get out" (as opposite).

I believe I can do it with this MOD now!
http://www.tigrelog.com.br
l: simple p: machines

OutofOrder

Thanks for your comments everyone.
Quote from: [Daydreamer] on June 17, 2009, 06:00:53 PM
Yes, please go ahead :) New mod translations are welcome.

Edit: i'm planning to update this Mod in order to make it friendlier with custom Themes. It currently works well with themes that are based on the default theme layout, but it needs much tweaking when installed in other themes.

Antes

Quote from: OutofOrder on June 18, 2009, 08:14:37 AM
Thanks for your comments everyone.
Quote from: [Daydreamer] on June 17, 2009, 06:00:53 PM
Yes, please go ahead :) New mod translations are welcome.

Edit: i'm planning to update this Mod in order to make it friendlier with custom Themes. It currently works well with themes that are based on the default theme layout, but it needs much tweaking when installed in other themes.

Thx For Help , Can we edit this mod towards to "Only For Topic ?"

i want to mean > i'm playing eRepublik and this game had a newspaper system every News can get vote ( more vote goes ur news to upper ) ?

i'm trying to make a special space for "news" and this mod can help me about it :)

OutofOrder

Quote from: Antes on June 18, 2009, 08:35:10 AM

i want to mean > i'm playing eRepublik and this game had a newspaper system every News can get vote ( more vote goes ur news to upper ) ?

i'm trying to make a special space for "news" and this mod can help me about it :)
I'm not sure what you're asking, but it seems to be this: Do you want to change the order of the topics in the topic list? And order them using the votes each first post of the topic has?

Antes

Quote from: OutofOrder on June 18, 2009, 08:54:53 AM

I'm not sure what you're asking, but it seems to be this: Do you want to change the order of the topics in the topic list? And order them using the votes each first post of the topic has?

Simply yes xD Only Vote Topic ( but only +1 Vote ) +Closed News Vote became 0 , or Closed News not shown in Recent News Place

crazyASD

OutofOrder

Quote from: Antes on June 18, 2009, 09:06:47 AM
Quote from: OutofOrder on June 18, 2009, 08:54:53 AM

Simply yes xD Only Vote Topic ( but only +1 Vote ) +Closed News Vote became 0 , or Closed News not shown in Recent News Place
Unfortunately, this mod is not meant to do this. :-[ It is not the idea for which it was made.
You could try the Topic ratings mod, which lets you rate topics individually and sort the board by topic rating. Hope this helps.

Sakae

OutofOrder, what about a description instead of positive/negative numbers, would be possible?

I mean, if one post is rated 5 times negative, it shows simply "Bad post" instead of "-5". And for +5, it shows "Good post".

What do you think?

OutofOrder

Quote from: softcore on June 18, 2009, 12:19:16 PM
OutofOrder, what about a description instead of positive/negative numbers, would be possible?

I mean, if one post is rated 5 times negative, it shows simply "Bad post" instead of "-5". And for +5, it shows "Good post".

What do you think?
It might work, but I'm not sure if the number should be replaced. The number is a reference to how much a post is worthy/not worthy according to the community.
Right now, if a post becomes a "Bad post", it is hidden by default so you would visually find out that it is in fact a "Bad post". Is there the need to even make it more clear?
Or perhaps you were thinking about a board set to bypass the "Bad posts" effects (hiding/greying-out) but still using post voting?
However, adding a "Good post!" (or a new icon) next to the number when it goes positive might be a nice option. :)

Paracelsus

Quote from: OutofOrder on June 17, 2009, 12:35:12 PM
Quote from: heinandar on June 17, 2009, 12:29:43 PM
Hoping for 1.1.9
Hello heinandar. I have not considered to make a 1.1.9 version of it, mainly because having to support the two versions is a task I'm not sure I want to do yet.

You could release a sort of "legacy" version for 1.1.9 that wouldn't get any support, just exist "as it is". For instance, I would very very pleased to be able to try this, because I can imagine it will still take many months for me to migrate to SMF 2.0.

Btw, one thing that I suggested before to Karma Mods that I think would be useful: the relative weight of voting for good and bad post according to membergroup. For instance, group A (let's say Admins) would have a weight of 10, group B (let's say Content Reviewers) a weight of 20 and group C (Regular Users) would weight just 1.

Sakae

Quote from: OutofOrder on June 18, 2009, 01:07:48 PM
It might work, but I'm not sure if the number should be replaced. The number is a reference to how much a post is worthy/not worthy according to the community.
Right now, if a post becomes a "Bad post", it is hidden by default so you would visually find out that it is in fact a "Bad post". Is there the need to even make it more clear?
Or perhaps you were thinking about a board set to bypass the "Bad posts" effects (hiding/greying-out) but still using post voting?
However, adding a "Good post!" (or a new icon) next to the number when it goes positive might be a nice option. :)

In matter of fact, my purpose of using this MOD is different from the original. My forum has some political boards, which may be a problem using this modification, since it's not "good/bad" what people think about the posts, but, like "agree/disagree" of them. I'll use just the system, but will translate different, get it? :)

That's why I don't use "disappear function" as default (therefore I had to reset all my members profile), but just some note of general opinion about the post (for -5 or less, "Post out of line" or whatever).

But if it's possible to do only with positive posts, I'll understand :)

Mystery?

Can you have an option, to increase/decrease overall karma.
Join my NEW website that I just created and be a big part of it (July 30, 2010): http://www.gamerstatic.net

OutofOrder

Thanks everyone for the posts.

Quote from: Paracelsus on June 18, 2009, 02:59:57 PM
You could release a sort of "legacy" version for 1.1.9 that wouldn't get any support, just exist "as it is". For instance, I would very very pleased to be able to try this, because I can imagine it will still take many months for me to migrate to SMF 2.0.
Well, releasing a legacy version sounds like a good idea :) It won't be happening very soon though.
About your suggestions, what kind of forum would these apply to? Sounds like adding an entire new dimension to the mod.

Quote from: softcore on June 19, 2009, 01:07:55 PM
Quote from: OutofOrder on June 18, 2009, 01:07:48 PM

In matter of fact, my purpose of using this MOD is different from the original. My forum has some political boards, which may be a problem using this modification, since it's not "good/bad" what people think about the posts, but, like "agree/disagree" of them. I'll use just the system, but will translate different, get it? :)

That's why I don't use "disappear function" as default (therefore I had to reset all my members profile), but just some note of general opinion about the post (for -5 or less, "Post out of line" or whatever).

But if it's possible to do only with positive posts, I'll understand :)
Now it makes more sense. :) I'll consider about it. I suppose there could be an option to change the semantic "Good/Bad" to "Agreed/Disagreed". The same with "Respect" changing to "General agreement" (I suppose you disabled the Respect counter). I wonder how often this kind of need would arise tho.

Quote from: Mystery? on June 19, 2009, 02:03:47 PM
Can you have an option, to increase/decrease overall karma.
In the future, there may be an advanced tool to edit users Respect and casted votes.

Advertisement: