Written by: Labradoodle-360
Current version: 1.5
Updates: Mod Support Topic
Suitable for: SMF 1.1.10, SMF 1.1.11,
SMF 2.0 RC1-1, SMF 2.0 RC1.2, SMF 2.0 RC2
Supported languages:

Link to Mod | Donate

Summary

This mod alters the template (default theme only) so that if a guest attempts to view the board, no posters' names are displayed, but simply (Hidden).

Installation

Package Manager should work in most cases. If you need to make any edits, the full list can be obtained from the Parse function on the right..

Useful links
Manual Installation Of Mods
How Do I Modify Files?

Support

Questions should be address to the mod support topic.

Updating

See changelog for v1.5 updates.

Changelog

1.5 - 1 January 2010
Version 1.5 of Hide Post Authors from Guests brings SMF 2.0 RC2 compatibility, also adding Spanish, British, as well as utf-8 for all compatible languages.
(RC2 includes Printpage.template.php)

1.3 - 3 December 2009
Updated mod for use with SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11, Print view is now added into 1.1. versions (will be added to 2.0 version shortly.)

1.2 - 31 July 2009
Fixed hiding the latest member name on the Info Center.

1.1 - 18 June 2009
Added support for Swedish translation - listed as (Medlem), meaning member, thanks to totaltutankoll.

1.0 - 17 June 2009
First release

Files modified by Hide Post Authors From Guests

./Sources/Subs.php
./Themes/yourtheme/languages/Modifications.english.php
./Themes/yourtheme/languages/Modifications.swedish.php
./Themes/yourtheme/BoardIndex.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/MessageIndex.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/Display.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/Printpage.template.php

babjusi

Nice mod. Very useful for privacy.

sAce

congo dude !

so finally into modding huh?? :D

LadyC

well this one is brilliant.... can't believe nobody ever thought of it before!

MaXiForum.cz

3wasef

Hi,

Thanks for this great MOD  :D

But unfortunately for manual modification for SUB.php I only found 1 line to modified :

'before' => '<div class="quoteheader">' . $txt['quote_from'] . ': {author}</div><blockquote>',

and no luck to find the others, the other files are fine. Every thing seem to be ok except when I click on topic I got an error msg!

Any help will much appreciated.

SMF 2.0 RC1-1,
Custom Theme,

Keith Tysinger

Are robots considered guests? I assume they are.

I see this variable in the SMF sourcecode: $user_info['possibly_robot']
I assume it is in addition to the guest status. Anyone know for sure?

I think it would be nice to filter out my member's names when the search engines index the board. At the moment I have all bots disabled via robots.txt and within SMF.

I think non-robots should be able to see the member's name since guest can post on my board anyway (each post must be approved from guests).

If I replace all occurrence in your mod from "($context['user']['is_guest'])" to "$user_info['possibly_robot']" would that do the trick? Is this the best way?
Contact me for all of your website design needs.

Shades.

I think this is a very nice mod but I am using the "Simple Portal" mod and the user names do show up on the portal although they do not show up on the forum page. How do I fix this to work on the portal pages as well?

Thanks!
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

king kratos

Very useful mod Arantor (I don't think I've found one of yours that isn't useful in some way)!

I noticed tonight that when a guest clicks the "Print" button, it shows who started the topic and who made what posts. This basically makes this mod useless as users are able to easily discover who made posts. I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Also, I just noticed that the "users active in past x minutes" in the info center shows the full user name to guests.

One more, the "show the most recent posts" in the info center also shows the user name instead of (HIDDEN).

P.S. I am still using this mod and banking on the fact that most guests probably will NOT click on the print button.

Kratos

Rhyme

This is quite the interesting idea.  Before I go messing with it though I have one question.  Sorry if this seems kind of a newbish question too, just starting out in file editing myself.

Anyways, the question is this.

When you say default theme only, are you referring to the SMF core theme that comes in the forum download package, or does it automatically install to whatever theme you have set as your forum default?

king kratos

When mods refer to the default theme, they are referring to ../Themes/default (where SMF comes with Default, Classic, and Babylon). If you are using version 2.0 RC 1.2 (and maybe some other versions), when you test your files for install, you should see a +Install in Other Themes. Click the + and if your theme has automatic install support, you will see it listed with the file test results. (It may list all themes, this I am not sure of since I only have one add on theme installed)

Kratos

Rhyme

Thanks guys, now I understand. ^_^

king kratos

In playing with this mod, I have noticed that guests can see authors with the Simple Portal mod in recent posts/topics blocks.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that these (as well as what I pointed out before) are still showing authors to guests.

Kratos

vinston84

Spoogs

Spoogs

Fair enough
(in my defense your post above mine, did say "needs fixing soon" so i just assumed that fix would be in RC2)

If you do decide to look into updating, maybe there is a way to hide the print function from guests (if its possible that may work)

This is such a decent mod i guarantee you that most or all of us that use it bet on the fact that a guest doesnt have much reach to want to print anything (depending on what the site is all about). It would only be a small percentage of guests that may consider printing IMO, so privacy is still preserved for the most part.

Its a great mod despite the bug TBH.

Spoogs

Matthew K.

I have located a bug in Hide Post Authors from Guests in Display.template.php for v1.3 for SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11.

This will be resolved in v1.4 coming shortly!

Labradoodle-360

Matthew K.

The issue is with the following edit:

Find:&#171; <i>', $txt[211], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt[525], ' ', $message['modified']['name'], '</i> &#187;';
Replace with:&#171; <i>', $txt['last_edit'], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt['525'], ' ', (($context['user']['is_guest']) ? $txt['user_hidden'] : $message['modified']['name']) , '</i> &#187;';

Replace with should be:&#171; <i>', $txt['211'], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt['525'], ' ', (($context['user']['is_guest']) ? $txt['user_hidden'] : $message['modified']['name']) , '</i> &#187;';

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on December 04, 2009, 09:57:28 AM
I have located a bug in Hide Post Authors from Guests in Display.template.php for v1.3 for SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11.

This will be resolved in v1.4 coming shortly!

Labradoodle-360

Matthew K.

Issue with 1.1.10 and 1.1.11 are fixed in v1.4 of Hide Post Authors from Guests.

If you have a previous version, uninstall it before installing the latest version (1.4)

Matthew K.

Expect v1.5 of Hide Post Authors from Guests very shortly!

Version 1.5 Updates:

SMF RC.2
Languages Supported for RC.2: Spanish (with UTF-8), British (with UTF-8), and English (with UTF-8).
Version 1.5 will also include Printpage for RC.2 which version 1.4 (For RC1.2) does not include.

Labradoodle-360

Spoogs

TDNY

Hi,
  I installed this via package manager error free on my 1.1.11 vers. default core and I was unable to use the "mark read" feature. It didn't matter if I clicked on the "mark read" button/ tab or if I opened a post and returned to the message list and hit refresh or if I hit the read new posts since last visit and tried to mark as read from there.
  All the posts on the site always showed the "new" icon as if it was a new post.
  Just to be sure I uninstalled and installed this mod twice, both times I uninstalled it everything worked like it should.
  I have other mods so I don't know what the actual conflict is that was causing my issue, but I was glad to find it, I've been trying to fix this bug for days.

Matthew K.

Thank you for bringing this up, I will definitely look into it.

TDNY

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on January 22, 2010, 04:12:56 PM
Thank you for bringing this up, I will definitely look into it.

Your welcome and good luck.

Arantor got me looking at the mods that made changes to the message index.php and message index. template from this thread here where you will also see the list of my mods that share these files. Hope that helps.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=360420.0

Matthew K.

I did some checking into this, I uploaded a clean set of SMF 1.1.11 files and a clean set of Hide Post Authors from Guests, received no installation errors, and was able to mark all topics as read without any issues.

If this problem is in fact related to my mod, it is two mods conflicting, not standalone Hide Post Authors from Guests.
Labradoodle-360

Fotoforofos.com

Same problem here with v1.11 ... "new" text shows everywhere :(

These are the other mods installed.

Redirect Banned Users 1.0 
SMF Articles 1.2
Pretty URLs 1.0RC
Flickr Gallery Browse 0.4
Enhanced Profile Header    1.2
Highslide Image Viewer 1.6
Enhanced Profile Header Language Pack 1.2
Google Analytics Code 1.1

Any idea?

Matthew K.

What do you mean by the new text shows everywhere?

Do you mean that "Hidden" shows up everywhere in place of the Author name, despite the fact you're logged in or what? A screenshot or providing a link may help.

Thanks,
Labradoodle-360

Fotoforofos.com

Sorry, i mean that the "unread" text shown when you have a unread post in a topic is shown in every topic, even if i have read all the posts in the topic.

I don't know if the text says "unread", "new" or whatever, cause my forum is in spanish, but i hope you know what i mean.

Matthew K.

Could you attach Messageindex.template.php and Display.template.php please.

Apllicmz

portuguese

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_pt.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <search position="end" />
            <add><![CDATA[
// Labradoodle-360's Mod:Hide_Post_Authors
$txt['user_hidden'] = '(Esconder)';
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>

<file name="$languagedir/Modifications.portuguese_pt-utf8.php" error="skip">
        <operation>
            <search position="end" />
            <add><![CDATA[
// Labradoodle-360's Mod:Hide_Post_Authors
$txt['user_hidden'] = '(Esconder)';
]]></add>
        </operation>
    </file>

Scoobymaniac

After installing this mod on 1.1.11 and now upgraded to 1.1.12 I noticed that all posts have the "new" after them even when there are no new posts in the thread.

DesuChan

Hi,

I've been trying to install this on two different forums but it keeps telling me 'The package you are trying to download or install is either corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.'

I'm using 1.1.11 (I know, I should upgrade) on one and 1.1.13 on the other and it keeps giving me the same error.

Please help!!!

squad

Hi I would also like to know if this will install on 1.1.13. I'd really
like to use this modification and be able to re-open more of my
forum to 'guests'

I also received the same reply over the weekend when I tried to
install: 'The package you are trying to download or install is either
corrupt or not compatible with this version of SMF.'

Thanks heaps.

Matthew K.

I apologize, but this is not going to be updated...especially for the 1.1x series. If anyone would like to take this mod over...feel free to shoot me a PM.

squad

Thanks for replying Labradoodle-360 it's a shame but thats life :)

Matthew K.

I just reviewed the edits - It's been a while. Have you tried using Version Emulate or manually installing it on 1.1.13? It's very possible it'll work.
Quote from: squad on February 21, 2011, 03:21:57 AM

Thanks for replying Labradoodle-360 it's a shame but thats life :)

squad

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 21, 2011, 03:21:04 PM
I just reviewed the edits - It's been a while. Have you tried using Version Emulate or manually installing it on 1.1.13? It's very possible it'll work

No not as yet, that would take yet another learning curve for me. I'll have a look at it over the weekend and see if I can get my head around it.

Thank you again :)

Matthew K.

Version emulate is just a mod you'd intall

squad

Thank you,mind you I doubt there isn't a day goes by, especially lately I don't learn
new things :) Thanks heaps, I give that a go now. Yes I have backed up, Heaven
help me if I need to use it hehehe I'd cry.

Matthew K.

laudia

I apologize for the bad English.

You can add , hide the name moderators

distante

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on February 20, 2011, 11:30:20 PM
I apologize, but this is not going to be updated...especially for the 1.1x series. If anyone would like to take this mod over...feel free to shoot me a PM.
This mod isn't going to be updated then? for 2.0 series

Matthew K.

Not by me it's not. Although...I might actually consider it.

distante

hehe, I'm looking for a way to make some boards "anymous" but the "anonymous boards" in the mod site mess too much with the DB.

MadTogger

Really like this MOD.

I am using SMF 2.0.2 and had to make a few tweaks from the parsed code to manually insert this in my forum but not too many really, mainly in the Subs.php file.

I did notice one thing though, when I click the link 'View the most recent posts on the forum.' in my forum stats, the recoent posts were shown as they should but the Authors names were also been shown.

I made a quick tweak to ./Themes/default/Recent.template.php

Find
<span class="smalltext">&#171;&nbsp;', $txt['last_post'], ' ', $txt['by'], ' <strong>', $post['poster']['link'], ' </strong> ', $txt['on'], '<em> ', $post['time'], '</em>&nbsp;&#187;</span>

Replace with
<span class="smalltext">&#171;&nbsp;', $txt['last_post'], ' ', $txt['by'], ' <strong>', (($context['user']['is_guest']) ? $txt['user_hidden'] : $post['poster']['link']), ' </strong> ', $txt['on'], '<em> ', $post['time'], '</em>&nbsp;&#187;</span>

Regards..,

MT

Matthew K.

Better to modify things source side, which is always possible.

Impsat-1

Ufff!!!... Pleaseee, UpDate for SMF 2.0.7... Thanks ;)

Thanks & Regards 8).-
Vive Cáda Momento De Tu Vida Como Si Fueras a Irte Mañana, Más Planificala Cómo Si Jamás Fueras a Irte ;).-

hibikimod

Uninstalled this mod but it still says "hidden user"
How can i revert to showing the username back? Thanks.

Advertisement: