Written by: Labradoodle-360
Current version: 1.5
Updates: Mod Support Topic
Suitable for: SMF 1.1.10, SMF 1.1.11,
SMF 2.0 RC1-1, SMF 2.0 RC1.2, SMF 2.0 RC2
Supported languages:

Link to Mod | Donate

Summary

This mod alters the template (default theme only) so that if a guest attempts to view the board, no posters' names are displayed, but simply (Hidden).

Installation

Package Manager should work in most cases. If you need to make any edits, the full list can be obtained from the Parse function on the right..

Useful links
Manual Installation Of Mods
How Do I Modify Files?

Support

Questions should be address to the mod support topic.

Updating

See changelog for v1.5 updates.

Changelog

1.5 - 1 January 2010
Version 1.5 of Hide Post Authors from Guests brings SMF 2.0 RC2 compatibility, also adding Spanish, British, as well as utf-8 for all compatible languages.
(RC2 includes Printpage.template.php)

1.3 - 3 December 2009
Updated mod for use with SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11, Print view is now added into 1.1. versions (will be added to 2.0 version shortly.)

1.2 - 31 July 2009
Fixed hiding the latest member name on the Info Center.

1.1 - 18 June 2009
Added support for Swedish translation - listed as (Medlem), meaning member, thanks to totaltutankoll.

1.0 - 17 June 2009
First release

Files modified by Hide Post Authors From Guests

./Sources/Subs.php
./Themes/yourtheme/languages/Modifications.english.php
./Themes/yourtheme/languages/Modifications.swedish.php
./Themes/yourtheme/BoardIndex.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/MessageIndex.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/Display.template.php
./Themes/yourtheme/Printpage.template.php

babjusi

Nice mod. Very useful for privacy.

sAce

congo dude !

so finally into modding huh?? :D

LadyC

well this one is brilliant.... can't believe nobody ever thought of it before!

MaXiForum.cz

3wasef

Hi,

Thanks for this great MOD  :D

But unfortunately for manual modification for SUB.php I only found 1 line to modified :

'before' => '<div class="quoteheader">' . $txt['quote_from'] . ': {author}</div><blockquote>',

and no luck to find the others, the other files are fine. Every thing seem to be ok except when I click on topic I got an error msg!

Any help will much appreciated.

SMF 2.0 RC1-1,
Custom Theme,

Keith Tysinger

Are robots considered guests? I assume they are.

I see this variable in the SMF sourcecode: $user_info['possibly_robot']
I assume it is in addition to the guest status. Anyone know for sure?

I think it would be nice to filter out my member's names when the search engines index the board. At the moment I have all bots disabled via robots.txt and within SMF.

I think non-robots should be able to see the member's name since guest can post on my board anyway (each post must be approved from guests).

If I replace all occurrence in your mod from "($context['user']['is_guest'])" to "$user_info['possibly_robot']" would that do the trick? Is this the best way?
Contact me for all of your website design needs.

Shades.

I think this is a very nice mod but I am using the "Simple Portal" mod and the user names do show up on the portal although they do not show up on the forum page. How do I fix this to work on the portal pages as well?

Thanks!
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

king kratos

Very useful mod Arantor (I don't think I've found one of yours that isn't useful in some way)!

I noticed tonight that when a guest clicks the "Print" button, it shows who started the topic and who made what posts. This basically makes this mod useless as users are able to easily discover who made posts. I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Also, I just noticed that the "users active in past x minutes" in the info center shows the full user name to guests.

One more, the "show the most recent posts" in the info center also shows the user name instead of (HIDDEN).

P.S. I am still using this mod and banking on the fact that most guests probably will NOT click on the print button.

Kratos

Rhyme

This is quite the interesting idea.  Before I go messing with it though I have one question.  Sorry if this seems kind of a newbish question too, just starting out in file editing myself.

Anyways, the question is this.

When you say default theme only, are you referring to the SMF core theme that comes in the forum download package, or does it automatically install to whatever theme you have set as your forum default?

king kratos

When mods refer to the default theme, they are referring to ../Themes/default (where SMF comes with Default, Classic, and Babylon). If you are using version 2.0 RC 1.2 (and maybe some other versions), when you test your files for install, you should see a +Install in Other Themes. Click the + and if your theme has automatic install support, you will see it listed with the file test results. (It may list all themes, this I am not sure of since I only have one add on theme installed)

Kratos

Rhyme

Thanks guys, now I understand. ^_^

king kratos

In playing with this mod, I have noticed that guests can see authors with the Simple Portal mod in recent posts/topics blocks.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that these (as well as what I pointed out before) are still showing authors to guests.

Kratos

vinston84

Spoogs

Spoogs

Fair enough
(in my defense your post above mine, did say "needs fixing soon" so i just assumed that fix would be in RC2)

If you do decide to look into updating, maybe there is a way to hide the print function from guests (if its possible that may work)

This is such a decent mod i guarantee you that most or all of us that use it bet on the fact that a guest doesnt have much reach to want to print anything (depending on what the site is all about). It would only be a small percentage of guests that may consider printing IMO, so privacy is still preserved for the most part.

Its a great mod despite the bug TBH.

Spoogs

Matthew K.

I have located a bug in Hide Post Authors from Guests in Display.template.php for v1.3 for SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11.

This will be resolved in v1.4 coming shortly!

Labradoodle-360

Matthew K.

The issue is with the following edit:

Find:&#171; <i>', $txt[211], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt[525], ' ', $message['modified']['name'], '</i> &#187;';
Replace with:&#171; <i>', $txt['last_edit'], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt['525'], ' ', (($context['user']['is_guest']) ? $txt['user_hidden'] : $message['modified']['name']) , '</i> &#187;';

Replace with should be:&#171; <i>', $txt['211'], ': ', $message['modified']['time'], ' ', $txt['525'], ' ', (($context['user']['is_guest']) ? $txt['user_hidden'] : $message['modified']['name']) , '</i> &#187;';

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on December 04, 2009, 09:57:28 AM
I have located a bug in Hide Post Authors from Guests in Display.template.php for v1.3 for SMF 1.1.10 and 1.1.11.

This will be resolved in v1.4 coming shortly!

Labradoodle-360

Matthew K.

Issue with 1.1.10 and 1.1.11 are fixed in v1.4 of Hide Post Authors from Guests.

If you have a previous version, uninstall it before installing the latest version (1.4)

Advertisement: