How to get more members!

Started by Kyzer, June 19, 2009, 09:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyzer

FWebTraffic

(This is NOT my website, and i only use their services)

What this does is, it makes every person who signs up under your Refer ID (mine above) Have to look at 6 websites, including yours, which would be on top, mine would be under, and so on. For every person who signs up under you, everyone who signs up under him has to look at your site, and everyone who signs up under them has to look at yours, and so on, and so on. Which could potentially be infinite even if you dont continue premoting it!

This is roughly the same thing as freeviral, although i have literally had no luck with them yet, and ive had theirs for a much longer time.

Try it out, works for lots of people, and hope it can work for you guys too.

Runic WoW World of Warcraft Gaming Forums

clapter

Its been three weeks and I have no downline...
Working on a Play-by-Post RPG

simmer

Quote from: Kyzer on June 19, 2009, 09:04:22 PM
FWebTraffic

(This is NOT my website, and i only use their services)

What this does is, it makes every person who signs up under your Refer ID (mine above) Have to look at 6 websites, including yours, which would be on top, mine would be under, and so on. For every person who signs up under you, everyone who signs up under him has to look at your site, and everyone who signs up under them has to look at yours, and so on, and so on. Which could potentially be infinite even if you dont continue premoting it!

This is roughly the same thing as freeviral, although i have literally had no luck with them yet, and ive had theirs for a much longer time.

Try it out, works for lots of people, and hope it can work for you guys too.

they can't divert 1 million to their own site lol :P the how will they divert on urs ? fake !

alex30

Joined! Checked my stats! Doesn't work!

Kyzer

3 posts in one day, and none the day i posted this lol?

You cant just expect to get it instantly, if you read it then it tells you how it works, you have to at least try to advertise it a bit.

|but ya, i havent gotten any either...|
Runic WoW World of Warcraft Gaming Forums

clapter

Quote from: simmer on June 23, 2009, 06:42:56 PM

they can't divert 1 million to their own site lol :P the how will they divert on urs ? fake !
lol. I would like to see them develop their downline before they claim we can develop ours.
Working on a Play-by-Post RPG

Ryanator

I think there is no easy way to get a heap of active members. You just have to keep updating your site with interesting content and keep working on getting good backlinks. I've given up on these "Get Members Quick!" schemes and now just post helpful and informative posts on other forums related to mine. It has worked much better.
(sic)shooters
Listening - Watching - Playing - Drinking - Living

Click here to advertise your website on (sic)shooters FREE!

AlexIsaacs

Check out my sig for some guides. Otherwise you can't just sit around and expect people to flow in. It's reasonable to say that you can acquire around 500 members per year and invest no money in to the site, but that's damn hard to pull off. Set aside $1,000 per year for marketing if you're looking to get thousands of members quickly.

Otherwise be ready for your forum to either die (if you choose to let it) or accrue new members VERY slowly, taking many years to finally take off.

H

There is no substitute for having a quality site and content. That includes these scam sites that promise more hits/visitors/registrations etc
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Jade Elizabeth

I will tell you what I tell all new forum owners: Running a forum is HARD WORK. You need to be the one who's active. You need to start the conversations.

Until your forum is beginning to generate its own topics, you need to push it. The more topics you create, the more posting opportunities there are. Don't start topics with an attitude that makes the reader think you're desperate for activity or you think there will be no replies. You should start topics confidently, and users will respond confidently.

Your users may be waiting for the opportunity to post. Give them opportunities. Ask your friends to sign up and start some topics if you can.

You also need to respond to every topic, especially in the early days. Heck, I still do (my forum is over a year old). I have over 80,000 posts and about 125 members, and I still have to create new topics and reply to everything. When I stop, the posting slows down so much it's scary  :-X.

When you get more members you can ask staff, or certain members to try to post a new topic every few days. I did that, I posted a topic asking for 5 blind volunteers, and then told them to go post 5 new topics (via PM).

When doing this, however, you need to provide a consistent stream of topics. Not just 6 on Monday, and none until those die. You need 2 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, etc, etc.

Additionally, members want to be involved. They want to feel engaged in the forum. You can involve members by:

• Posting! (ha ha thought you got rid of that one didn't you? :P)
  • Competitions (offer Karma, money, items, enhanced privileges or subscriptions, maybe banners or logo comps each month or something?)
  • Membergroups and Teams (feedback, advice, tech guys, anything. We had people who were good for advice and we grouped them. We had guys who could help with technical issues, and we grouped them too. Start an exclusive club. Put entrance to that into a competition.)
  • Asking for advice/feedback on forum enhancements (every so often we ask the members what they want, or what they need, or like, don't like, without them coming to us. It shows them that we care about their feelings towards the forum and want to make it a happy place for them to be)

There are other ways, but those should help you out for now :).
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

alex30

Jade Elizabeth nice guide, thanks for sharing.

Jade Elizabeth

No worries. I've been spamming it because people don't search :P
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Senkusha

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on July 04, 2009, 12:34:43 AM
I will tell you what I tell all new forum owners: Running a forum is HARD WORK. You need to be the one who's active. You need to start the conversations.

Until your forum is beginning to generate its own topics, you need to push it. The more topics you create, the more posting opportunities there are. Don't start topics with an attitude that makes the reader think you're desperate for activity or you think there will be no replies. You should start topics confidently, and users will respond confidently.

Your users may be waiting for the opportunity to post. Give them opportunities. Ask your friends to sign up and start some topics if you can.

You also need to respond to every topic, especially in the early days. Heck, I still do (my forum is over a year old). I have over 80,000 posts and about 125 members, and I still have to create new topics and reply to everything. When I stop, the posting slows down so much it's scary  :-X.

When you get more members you can ask staff, or certain members to try to post a new topic every few days. I did that, I posted a topic asking for 5 blind volunteers, and then told them to go post 5 new topics (via PM).

When doing this, however, you need to provide a consistent stream of topics. Not just 6 on Monday, and none until those die. You need 2 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, etc, etc.

Additionally, members want to be involved. They want to feel engaged in the forum. You can involve members by:

• Posting! (ha ha thought you got rid of that one didn't you? :P)
  • Competitions (offer Karma, money, items, enhanced privileges or subscriptions, maybe banners or logo comps each month or something?)
  • Membergroups and Teams (feedback, advice, tech guys, anything. We had people who were good for advice and we grouped them. We had guys who could help with technical issues, and we grouped them too. Start an exclusive club. Put entrance to that into a competition.)
  • Asking for advice/feedback on forum enhancements (every so often we ask the members what they want, or what they need, or like, don't like, without them coming to us. It shows them that we care about their feelings towards the forum and want to make it a happy place for them to be)

There are other ways, but those should help you out for now :).

I want to point out that based on personal experience:  you have to keep posting new topics yourself!  When you stop, so does everybody else... and restarting is a real nightmare.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Uhura!

From personal experience - I agree 100%

I have over 100 members with more than 50,000 posts and I am the top post starter. I don't like that, but I think it's part of the growth process...
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Jade Elizabeth

My forum has  94,365 posts and when I stopped posting the graphs went down: http://www.theacforum.com/graphs/

I got tired of babysitting. I'm going to take an electric cable to it soon. Hee hee >:D.

Uhura!

I feel you.

When I go away for the weekend or have to work on upgrades...stats go down.

Am I really that interesting? Nope.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

Jade Elizabeth

Just that you're the only one who starts the friggin discussions. I really hate that about being an administrator.

septa/njt rider

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on July 22, 2009, 09:07:20 PM
Just that you're the only one who starts the friggin discussions. I really hate that about being an administrator.
I've seen some forums that the admin makes the least posts on there.... which bothers me.... but i guess it has to be a forum that is for something unique about just one thing, for example, this forum is the main site about Simple Machines Forums software, so people come here alot since this is the main site about it. Just... something to kick around in the ol' noggin...

Jade Elizabeth

Yeah, it DEFINITELY depends on the niche. For most discussion forums it's going to be "admins" job....but forums with an actual solidified niche like SMF or maybe even my writing one, where member contribution (in the new topic rhelm) is pretty much forced, it will be anyones job.

I hate admins who don't take responsibility and who arent active. Makes me mad.

tester23

I have been operating [LINK REMOVED: RUNNING VB] for about 8 months now and i can assure you that there is no 'easy' or 'quick fix' way to get new members. Essentially its about building enough content so that you get people coming in from search engines. I know it sounds cliche but its just hard work and a long time, especially for forums, as you are not actually selling anything, so they come to your site for a community rather than to purchase something.

Its about intrinsic value rather than physical 'purchase' value to the visitor

Advertisement: