News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

How to get more members!

Started by Kyzer, June 19, 2009, 09:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

septa/njt rider

Quote from: tester23 on July 23, 2009, 09:58:13 PM
I have been operating [LINK REMOVED: RUNNING VB] for about 8 months now and i can assure you that there is no 'easy' or 'quick fix' way to get new members. Essentially its about building enough content so that you get people coming in from search engines.
not just that, but you actually have to have a topic to... there's some forums that are completely randomly placed boards.... like a car board here, then a video game board there, and the title being "Computer Support" ....doesn't exatly work that way. It has to be mainly about what the title says, and then maybe small sections about off topic stuff

Also, submitting your site to search engines only works if people actually find your link... otherwise, it will say on page 48 of the results even if you type the URL to your site!

AlexIsaacs

Quote from: septa/njt rider on July 24, 2009, 07:45:27 AM
Quote from: tester23 on July 23, 2009, 09:58:13 PM
I have been operating [LINK REMOVED: RUNNING VB] for about 8 months now and i can assure you that there is no 'easy' or 'quick fix' way to get new members. Essentially its about building enough content so that you get people coming in from search engines.
not just that, but you actually have to have a topic to... there's some forums that are completely randomly placed boards.... like a car board here, then a video game board there, and the title being "Computer Support" ....doesn't exatly work that way. It has to be mainly about what the title says, and then maybe small sections about off topic stuff

Also, submitting your site to search engines only works if people actually find your link... otherwise, it will say on page 48 of the results even if you type the URL to your site!
There is no reason to ever submit your site to a search engine. Google + Yahoo crawl them automatically. The chances of not having your site automatically indexed are VERY VERY slim.

Jade Elizabeth

Quote from: Spektral on July 24, 2009, 10:44:14 PM
There is no reason to ever submit your site to a search engine. Google + Yahoo crawl them automatically. The chances of not having your site automatically indexed are VERY VERY slim.

Agreed. Though I do want to start a random site and NOT ever link to it JUST to see if it would be indexed XD.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

AlexIsaacs

Quote from: Jade Elizabeth on July 24, 2009, 11:24:19 PM
Quote from: Spektral on July 24, 2009, 10:44:14 PM

Agreed. Though I do want to start a random site and NOT ever link to it JUST to see if it would be indexed XD.
Odds are it won't be unless the link is ever put up on a website that IS indexed.

And odds are the site is listen somewhere.

Advertisement: