News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Preview post issue

Started by wladymeer, June 21, 2009, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wladymeer

I'm having preview post trouble on my forum. This is fresh forum, a couple of days old and I'm using visually customized default theme and preview post isn't working no matter if I'm under "reply" or "new topic".

However, if I use quick reply option and then press reply it does work.

Any ideas what might go wrong?

current URL: www.gvosh.bb.rs/forum

Norv

Please let me make sure I understand correctly: a "preview post" button exists, but clicking it does nothing?
Take a look to your error log, and post the error(s) you may find.
Also, can you give a link to your forum and eventually a test account to see? (a normal member account, that is)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

wladymeer

Yes, there is preview button and it says "fetching preview", starts doing it (judging by progress bar) but then it stops (like it's finished) and nothing happens

I've made one - link is www.gvosh.bb.rs/forum

username: testing
password: smfforum

May I ask for some specific help about error log?

wladymeer

If it's under routine in admin menu it says:

Listing of forum errors
Congratulations, no errors found! Thanks for checking.

Norv

I can confirm the issue, it's something in the javascript function related on the preview that doesn't work properly (if you load the page with javascript disabled or press Ctrl when pressing the button then it works properly). Not sure where exactly is the problem though.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

wladymeer

oh well, at least it works with ctrl+click for now.

Thank you for your time. It's very strange because I didn't change any file at all except for .css and even then it was only because of design.

So, anyone here for "javascript function related on the preview that doesn't work properly" help? ;D

Norv

Could you please test to see if it happens on default theme?

wladymeer

Well this is default theme, just visually moded (colors and images) - I did try with unedited babylon and that Classic YaBB - the result was the same = failure

I will try to upload default-default one and inform you about results.

wladymeer

Checked, same problem.

Could it be somewhere outside the themes folder?

Norv

It seemed to me the candidate would be /Themes/your_theme/Post.template.php. But if it works on default theme, this might very well be wrong. I will investigate it if someone else doesn't, but that may be tomorrow or so, as I am very busy for now.
Just in case though, please consider posting your Post.template.php (the one in use by your theme).

wladymeer

I used default theme to alter visuals, so that means all php are default that I got from smf_2-0-rc1-1_install.zip folder I've got from SMF site

Here you go - I added "gvosh-" prefix just to get along easier (it's named post.template.php on server)

Lets mention one thing that might help in your investigation - when I extracted zip for the first time I extracted it in folder called smf. Later on, during installation I've named my starting SMF page URL to be /forum/ and I've noticed that I had to change smf to forum and later on some directories from admin pages from /smf/ to /forum/. Maybe that's causing this problem?

Norv

If there is a wrong URL somewhere, then you should be able to fix it using this file: repair_settings. Please upload it in your forum folder and run it from the browser, you will see a list of settings you can alter if necessary for your current installation. It could be an idea to hit save even if there doesn't seem to be a need to modify anything.
Make sure though that you remove the file from the server after you're done with it.

wladymeer

Did, made some wrong URL fixes but still same problem :(

wladymeer

Just to make you remember this isn't fixed yet :P

wladymeer

Arantor

This has reared up a few times over the last week or so. It's a Javascript problem, and if you remove all mods, does it still occur on the original unmodded default theme?

wladymeer

By removing, do you think just uninstall it or something else?

Here is the list of all packages I've installed so far:

1. AjaxChat Integration 3.2
2. Locked Topic Color 1.0
3. Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio 6.9.99
4. Global Topics 1.0
5. New Board Stat Style 1.0
6. Simple Joomla! 1.5.x / SMF 2.0.x Bridge
7. vB Style Topic Author Name 1.0
8. Recent posts user preference 3.06

Are any of these familiar to you to cause such problems? I'm not 100% sure, but I think only Simple Joomla! 1.5.x / SMF 2.0.x Bridge was installed when I've noticed this issue - all others were installed after I posted this topic.

SlammedDime

The problem is due to some extra HTML at the bottom of your site...

<!-- <center> <strong>Naslovna </strong> </center>-->

<center> <b> <a class="new_win" target="_blank" title="Naslovna" href="http://www.gvosh.bb.rs/" color="#ffffff"> >>Idi na naslovnu stranu<< </a> </b> </center>

It was probably added in the bottom of index.php in your main SMF directory, and it should have been added in index.template.php before</body>
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

wladymeer

Bravo!

Problem fixed. Friend who is working on main page informed me that he put this link until he finish bridge process.

Problem fixed. Preview works fine now.

leftezi

The same problem here.
I know now, after reading this post, that responsible for this is the Google Analytics script that i added in the bottom from my index.php file.

But...
Can please someone tell me where should i place this code so that Google Anlytics can read it and make the reports properly?

Thank you.

Advertisement: