News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Creating and understanding themes.

Started by [Unknown], November 27, 2003, 05:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellowrose

OK I have a question that I think the answer should be added here for budding theme creators.

It may have been silly to do but what I did was use the default theme folder to do my theme. Just changing what was needed in the css file and changing the images needed in the themes/images folder as well as any changes to other images for post, topic etc.

What I would like to do is package it all together so it is a selectable theme for my members.

How do I go about doing this and what files should I include ? as in the needed template files.

I have a few mods installed and if I should ever release these themes I am creating would like to include the edited template files so others won't have to make the needed edits.

I really haven't seen or it's just to old a topic to go through so many pages.

Is there a topic that lists everything that should be included in a new theme? and what is needed to make it an installable packaged theme that can be easily installed by others.

青山 素子

If your theme is based on the default theme, you should only include those files you changed or added. Any templates your theme does not include will be pulled from the default theme directory. You do need to keep all the images for your theme, even if you did not change these.

You will also need the theme_info.xml file, customized with your theme information.

The only thing that should be in the languages folder is Settings.english.php, and the strings should be customized for your theme.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

SMdot™

Quote from: jsea1680 on October 04, 2006, 07:03:06 PM
GUYS, I am such a NOOB! I don't have a clue how to do this stuff! I created a website www.unknownsoldierswow.com and don't know how to change themes, fonts, really anything. Is there a company or people I could pay to help me maintain website? Any help would be great. Can also be reached at [email protected]

Thanks!

me me. pic me =)

BonzaiRob

I've been having some trouble adding mods, and I was wondering about whena  mod is applied. Does it just apply itself to the forum's default skin? I've been trying to apply it to a self-made skin with only basic files (index, index.template, style and images), could this be what's wrong?

GhostWalker

Does anyone know where in the "CSS code" you change the font color and size for the page numbers?

rootlinuxusr

When viewing the profile.template.php page, I'm trying to add a section to the left-side menu. For example:
[Modify Profile] <<-- This is the header.
Account Related Settings <<-- Setting1
Forum Profile Information <<-- Setting2
Look and Layout Preferences <<-- Setting3
Notifications and Email <<-- Setting4
Personal Message Options <<--Setting5
Edit Buddies <<--Setting6

I'm trying to add another section to either this page or the Forum Profile Information to create a selectable database similar to the avatars, but for userbars. >_> Is this even possible?

SMdot™

if you mean userbars as in signature bars you could simply create a droptext field in the bbc section after installing this : Signature BBC

so you'd simply alter the code in your profile.template.php file and add the after => array( etc etc codes for a drop down so that the user can select one of those and it'll automatically input the code in the signature box.

GhostWalker

Quote from: GhostWalker on May 15, 2007, 11:47:12 AM
Does anyone know where in the "CSS code" you change the font color and size for the page numbers?

Can anyone help me on this?

Kays

Quote from: GhostWalker on May 17, 2007, 10:32:47 PM
Quote from: GhostWalker on May 15, 2007, 11:47:12 AM

Can anyone help me on this?

If you want to know what css class  is used for a section, Look for some text in that area, in your case "Pages:". Do a View Source on that page and then Ctrl-F for find and search the page for that word. Then you can see how that section of the page is put together and what classes are used where. ;)

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

ITFS

This is a problem me and the admins on my forum have been trying to figure out; we're all noobs when it comes to SMF, as for the majority of our online-lives we've been trained for IF forums and all that watered down stuff.  The question is very simple:

How do we change the theme's picture at the top?  We want to replace what usually displays the theme's name with our forum's banner.  I don't see any code for the CSS that corresponds with it.  Is what we're trying to do even possible?

青山 素子

It depends on the theme. For the default theme, just put in a URL in the theme settings area of the admin. The image linked there will replace the text at the top-left.

For other themes, check index.template.php (where the header and footer code are kept) or ask the author.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

filament

what i am asking is how to split the messages in a theme like hxxp:sm.org [nonactive](like here-connected)
i want to make it like this

hxxp:img241.imageshack.us/img241/2733/boluk1iv5.jpg [nonactive]

Shawn Gotti

greetings all. i am a newbie, and will TRY to keep the dumb inquiries to a miniumum.

that said, i do have a question...

when i switch themes, certain buttons are missing on my site, including the "Email" button when i search the member list, and when creating a message, the icons for the other mods installed. how do i rectify this?

IchBin™

You need to remember that mods only install to the default theme. If you do not manually install them to the custom theme your buttons etc will not show.

Manual Installation of Mods

As for the email button, that may be a theme specific problem. If you could post a link or Screen shot we could probably determine that. What theme is it?
IchBin™        TinyPortal

tarrou

is there an easy way to just make my theme look like my website.  color wise and put my banner up on the theme?

Thanks in advance

Tarrou

IchBin™

There is no easy way. It requires work to convert a site template into an SMF theme. If you can't do it yourself by following all the information on this site, then you should probably post in the help wanted board.

Also, could you please make a new topic if you have your own question that is not related to the original topic next time? This topic was meant to be an informative post, and not a support topic. Thanks!
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Gary

The simplest way is to copy and paste the design for your site into index.template.php in appropriate head and body tags, and add any CSS classes to style.css (or call a new stylesheet)

Check out the guide Daniel15 for more information.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

audioedge

this guide is confusing as hell, no idea why its a sticky

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Lady Kiara

http://docs.simplemachines.org/index.php?topic=233

I only have the inspiration cuz I dunno squat else...I just click on a lot of things and try to get it.

I wanted to get better smilies than the default. Also...

How do I get my forum from looking like this: hxxp:kupax.com/view/full/1865_q7jvq [nonactive]

To look like this: hxxp:kupax.com/view/full/1866_tslr8 [nonactive]

Advertisement: