News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Problem In IE 8???

Started by BigDaddyDiesel, June 24, 2009, 11:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddyDiesel

I just installed SMF 2.0 last week, and have been building a new forum, and I have a problems that I cannot figure out.  When and if you view the posts in the forum with IE-8, you cannot see the text.  I looked all through the code and found that there were patches for IE-6 & 7 but none for 8.  Could this be my problem?  It seems to be the only problem I have had that has not been able to be figured out with small changes in the code.  I do have other problems, but I think I can handle them.  If you have IE-8, you can check out what I am talking about by going HERE

Also, I am using the GreyIs Theme and although they worked in other themes I tested, I cannot seem to get the Adds to work.  The Ad Manager adds them like usual, but they do not display at all.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Chris

Antechinus

That theme probably has its own BoardIndex.template.php and/or Display.template.php, in which case you would need to make manual edits to the file before your ads would display.

Not sure what's up with IE8. Have you tried it in compatability mode?

BigDaddyDiesel

Well, I have looked for the Ad code in the templates and for the life of me can't find the right one for the ads. 

As for compatibility mode, please bear in mind that I have only been working with this particular forum software for about a week and a half.  But, no, I don't think I have.  Exactly how do I do that?

Shortie

This problem has been around since RC1

Find the following in Style.css

.postarea .post {
clear:right;
float:left;
}

and replace with this

.postarea .post {
float:left;
}

Make sure you take a back up first

Let me know how you get on

Shortie

BigDaddyDiesel

Thank You.  Let me get that in there and I will let you know....

BigDaddyDiesel

Well, that worked to get the text in the post, but now the post area is moved down below the avatar area instead of being adjusted to the block like normal; I hope I explained that well enough...

Shortie

Okay

there will be another clear somewhere which is doing it (IE doesn't like clear and float together)

Do other themes work ??

Does it work if you remove the light box stuff ??

Just trying to narrow it down

BigDaddyDiesel

I looked for more of the Clear tags, and could only find one, but it had no effect on the problem to remove it. 

Forgive my ignorance, but Light Box Stuff?

As far as I know this problem was happening with other themes as well.  I rechecked them and the only one that it was not happening with was the default theme.

It has been suggested that something in some code I have added or changed has caused this issue, but other than the recommended changes from here I have not added or deleted any code other than the colors for text and links.  I have added custom stuff like replacing the image url in the header, etc.  But, for example, I have done nothing more than add to the add manager and even though I have several ads there, they do not display where I have set them to display. 

I am also having a problem with the time and date, they show the current time and date as 2.5 days ahead even though I have set them to EST.  It is currently showing the date as June 27th.

I hate to change the theme again, as I really like this one and I have had nothing but good reviews on the overall layout. 

Thanks again for the help......

Chris

aldo

I can see the text in IE8... But I take it you fixed that..? Either way, if you want to force IE8 to render in Compatibility View Mode, you can do so by sending a header:
X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7

You can do it with PHP:

header
("X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7");

But I would recommend you use a meta tag you place between the <head> tags:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi BigDaddyDiesel, is your problem solved - or do you still need assistance on this? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

BigDaddyDiesel

I am still working on this, but I have yet to add the tags suggested last, let me get to that and I will let you know.  Also, yes, getting rid of the clear tag in that first suggestion fixed the issue of viewing the text in IE-8, but the layout of the posting "Boxes" for lack of a better term is off.  The text area is "Below" the user information instead of "Beside" it to the right.   

BigDaddyDiesel

Which file do I do that in?  Index.php?

Quote from: aldo on June 30, 2009, 01:25:34 PM
I can see the text in IE8... But I take it you fixed that..? Either way, if you want to force IE8 to render in Compatibility View Mode, you can do so by sending a header:
X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7

You can do it with PHP:

header
("X-UA-Compatible: IE=EmulateIE7");

But I would recommend you use a meta tag you place between the <head> tags:

<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, thanks, let me try that to see what it does....

I will get back to you as soon as I have done it...

BigDaddyDiesel

Does it matter where between the <head> tags I put that code?

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok, thanks.....  Let me work on that and a couple of other things now that I have something to go on and I will get back to you all this evening or so....

BigDaddyDiesel

OK, when I added that to the Index.php I got the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in index.template.php on line 108

BigDaddyDiesel

BigDaddyDiesel

BigDaddyDiesel

Ok sorry about that...  Give me a minute or two to get that...

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi BigDaddyDiesel, have you had any progress on this? :) It seems you were supposed to attach a file here ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: