Various New Issues (captcha, preview post, insert quote)

Started by MechaToast, June 26, 2009, 08:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MechaToast

Recently, I began experiencing some issues with my forum.  I'm not sure of the timing, but it may have coincided with the upgrade to 1.1.9.

• On the registration page, the captcha image doesn't show up anymore.
  • When posting, if anyone uses the "Preview" button, the page gets stuck at "Fetching preview..." and the previewed post never shows up.
  • Using "Insert Quote", doesn't insert a quote anymore.

On the last one, I noticed a javascript error in IE.  Line 505, char 22.  Line 505:
for (var i = 0; i < XMLDoc.getElementsByTagName("quote")[0].childNodes.length; i++)

These things all used to work, so I'm not sure what happened.  This is what I've tried...

No mods installed, happens across multiple themes, across all browsers, deleted and re-uploaded all files except Settings.php multiple times, downgraded and re-upgraded through the admin package manager.  Thus far, no progress.

My board: hxxp:entervoid.com/board/ [nonactive]

Anyone got any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

SlammedDime

You might be surprised to know they are all related to the exact same thing...

In your case it's because there is an extra space in the PHP/HTML source somewhere that is causing the generated image to not function properly for visual verification, and also causes AJAX XML responses to be faulty.

If you visit your site and look at the HTML source code, you can easily see this extra space above the <Doctype> declaration.  It's amazing what a simple little space can throw off.

You'll have to go through your PHP Source files and make sure that <?php is the very first line of every file, and ?> is the very last, with no spaces or line breaks before or after either.
SlammedDime
Former Lead Customizer
BitBucket Projects
GeekStorage.com Hosting
                      My Mods
SimpleSEF
Ajax Quick Reply
Sitemap
more...

MechaToast

Oh my goodness, what a relief!  I was going nuts!

Naturally, every file but Settings.php was replaced, so I knew exactly where to look.

I feel slightly stupid, but am incredibly grateful.

virtualdave

Thanks for the info. I searched visual image and found this topic. My problem files were lurking in the sources folder within the Tiny Portal Mod files. In my case there were extra spaces at the end of TPhelp.php, TPmodules.php TPortal.php, and TPortalAdmin.php after ?>
vd

Advertisement: