News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Quick Question!

Started by Diamonde, June 27, 2009, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

We're not asking them to change anything. We're simply asking what the details are that you would use. I'll talk you through the modification in this topic.

All you have to do is ask them:
As part of the hosting package, I have access to a MySQL server, and presumably a user name and password to connect to that server, as well as a database that is for my use on it.

Please can you confirm the following for me (please don't change anything, I just want to make sure SMF is talking to the database correctly)
1. What my database username should be
2. What the relevant password should be
3. What is the name of the database

This should be a standard part of the account and if you as the host are unable to provide such information, it suggests a lack of familiarity with your own systems. I am not asking for any changes, simply confirmation of details which should be part of my account's setup.

Diamonde

My Host is host gator.

Yes they asked me all of that. I don't remember everything exactly though.

They told me that the database is fine and that that problem is fixed now but since My SMF Forum is still not working then it has to be something with SMF that's the problem.

Arantor

Possibly. But we have to know the above so that we can check it is correct in Settings.php.

For the record, HostGator has a very bad track record when it comes to SMF.

Diamonde

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 07:10:47 PM
Possibly. But we have to know the above so that we can check it is correct in Settings.php.

For the record, HostGator has a very bad track record when it comes to SMF.

I can tell! I plan on switching from them soon.  ;D

Can I send it to you in a personal message please? Because I don't feel comfortable letting everyone see My Login. That's private information.  :-[

Arantor

You don't actually need to PM me. You can do it all yourself.

This one is a copy from my local test setup of 1.1.9.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'smf';
$db_user = 'user';
$db_passwd = 'password';
$db_prefix = 'smf_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 1;

Provided that the information you have in this part of Settings.php matches what HostGator told you, it's right - and the error is somewhere else. If it's wrong in Settings.php, however, edit it using Notepad or some other text editor (not Wordpad or Word) to what it should be.

Diamonde

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 07:22:45 PM
You don't actually need to PM me. You can do it all yourself.

This one is a copy from my local test setup of 1.1.9.

########## Database Info ##########
$db_server = 'localhost';
$db_name = 'smf';
$db_user = 'user';
$db_passwd = 'password';
$db_prefix = 'smf_';
$db_persist = 0;
$db_error_send = 1;

Provided that the information you have in this part of Settings.php matches what HostGator told you, it's right - and the error is somewhere else. If it's wrong in Settings.php, however, edit it using Notepad or some other text editor (not Wordpad or Word) to what it should be.

It was wrong but then I corrected it in Wordpad and over writ the previous Settings.php. I over writ the whole board actually since I had to re-install SMF 1.9. I believe that I have a Setting_bak.php also.

Arantor

Wordpad is a really, really bad idea for editing code; it tends to break things.

Does it work now?

Diamonde

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 07:32:10 PM
Wordpad is a really, really bad idea for editing code; it tends to break things.

Does it work now?

I guess that Host Gator accidentally removed the installation of the SMF board that I had with them. Will I have to start from scratch now?  :-\

Arantor

Hang on. They said they'd fixed it. If they've fixed it, it should be there. Ask them to confirm the details so you can fix SMF.

Diamonde

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 07:42:44 PM
Hang on. They said they'd fixed it. If they've fixed it, it should be there. Ask them to confirm the details so you can fix SMF.

They said the board installation that's set up through Host Gator some how got erased which means My board is gone and I have install one all over again and start from scratch.  :'( It's okay though I'm just glad that I only had a few topics to begin with.  :D

I'm definitely switching hosts now though. They always have mishaps happening.  >:(

Arantor

So they've lied to you. They told you it was an SMF problem when clearly it wasn't.

Diamonde

Quote from: Arantor on June 28, 2009, 07:56:13 PM
So they've lied to you. They told you it was an SMF problem when clearly it wasn't.

Yep I guess so.  :'(

It's okay though. I appreciate all of your help though. At least I'll know what to do if this problem ever happens again though.  ;)

Thank You Arantor:D

Arantor

Indeed, and if you're not sure please do come back and we'll try and help!

Advertisement: