Converting to UTF-8

Started by shanksta13, April 28, 2009, 07:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shanksta13

My default language has been English for a while, and I'm trying to convert to UTF-8 now.  I've downloaded and installed English-UTF8 from SMF, but I'm getting an error when I try to convert the database to UTF-8.  Here's the error, any help?

"You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'desc desc blob NOT NULL' at line 4"

Vekseid

My own personal suggestion is: Don't convert to UTF-8. It is at best a cheap hack and regardless is completely unnecessary.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

shanksta13

Quote from: Vekseid on May 02, 2009, 03:30:09 AM
My own personal suggestion is: Don't convert to UTF-8. It is at best a cheap hack and regardless is completely unnecessary.

Okay, then is there any way to add custom characters to a different language set?

Vekseid

Most browsers will transparently handle the situation.

& #12459;& #12479;& #12459;& #12490;

カタカナ

カタカナ

The second sequence will turn into the third on an iso-8859-1 forum.
Adult Role Playing Forums - - Over five million posts - - Elliquiy's LAMP configuration (maybe NSFW)

Blog about Forums and Servers - - Twenty things to make Simple Machines Forum go faster

Private/Instant Message requests for free support will be ignored.

JBlaze

shanksta13, is this issue resolved?

If it is solved, please feel free to mark it solved.
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: