News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Making a test forum

Started by aohb, July 01, 2009, 05:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aohb

I have just upgraded to 1.1.9, but would like to have a play around with RC2 while it is still in Beta stage, then upgrade when it's finally released.
I don't want to touch my proper forum, on 1.1.9, as that's working fine. Though I'd like to familiarise myself with RC2 and install some Mods etc before the transfer.

Just wondering what is the best way to go about it: if I create another database within the same website as my other forum, would that be easier? My forum is now http://myforum.co.uk/board, can I just create a testsite folder and have it as http://myforum.co.uk/testsite?
Can I use a converter or the backup from my proper forum to load all my members and their posts on it? What happens when I'd finally do the swap? Just upgrade the proper forum to RC2?

Thanks!  :D

Antechinus

Basically you can do that. The folders are no problem. The only point is that if you want to import your current data (members, posts, etc) then you would need to convert that database to RC1 first.

So, the way to do it would be to make a test installation of 1.1.9 in a folder, then import a copy of your database, then upgrade the test site to RC1. :)   

aohb

OK thanks  :D So I make an exact copy of my proper forum on the test site, using 1.1.9, transfer my members etc, then upgrade that to RC2?

Antechinus

Nope. Just do a vanilla installation of 1.1.9 (no mods or anything) and import the db, then upgrade, then start playing with toys n stuff.

Antechinus

Well the paths are important. I should have mentioned that.

aohb

Thanks very much, I'll have a play with it and see how it goes  ;D

aohb

Having some problems installing the 1.1.9 fresh install in my testforum folder, it keeps coming up with: Unable to connect to FTP server with this combination of details. 530 Login incorrect.

What am I doing wrong?

aohb

I've chmodded all the relevant files.

aohb

I have created a new database for the test forum. I also created a username and password I created a folder for it on my server. It's in the same directory as my live forum, just one is called 'board' and the other 'testforum'. I've edited the settings in the Settings.php and Seetings_bak.php files and all relevant files are at 777. It won't install it as it says my FTP details are incorrect.

aohb

I've just tried 755 and it's not working either.

The path to my live forum is: http://angelsonhorseback.co.uk/board and the test one is going to be: http://angelsonhorseback.co.uk/testforum.

I didn't get the FTP settings from my host last time. I configured my live forum myself.

aohb

I tried 777 before, but no joy...

aohb

I just don't understand why it's saying my log in details are incorrect. What details do I need? The database user name and password? Tried that, nothing. Tried my normal FTP details for logging onto my whole domain, no joy. Tried the ones for my live site, no joy.

aohb

When I try the log in details I use to get access to all files on my domain, I get this error message: Unable to connect to FTP server with this combination of details. 550 /vhosts/angelsonhorseback.co.uk/httpdocs/testforum: No such file or directory - but I have created the folder and uploaded all the SMF files!

Do you mean chmod every single file to 777, not just the ones mentioned in the manual? I've tried refreshing it to see if it's updated the permissions, but it just refreshes the page and nothing changes. I've chmodded all relevant files so not sure what the problem is.

aohb

OK, I changed every single file and folder to 777 and it's working now - phew! Thanks!

Now, I just need to import my backup.... How do I do that? So I can get all my old info on the test forum.

aohb

Fantastic, that worked brilliantly, thanks!

Now gotta hope SMF 2 doesn't give me anymore problems  :D

aohb

Hmm... I'm installing RC1 and it's giving me an error:

The upgrader found some old or outdated language files, for the forum default language, english.

Please make certain you uploaded the new versions of all the files included in the package, even the theme and language files for the default theme.
   [SKIP] [Try English]

Click here to try again.

Any ideas why???

aohb

No, never touched anything to do with the languages. I only want English anyway. I've chmodded all files to 777 and reuploaded the default theme, but it's still giving me an error.

aohb

Just tried deleting the languages folder and re-uploading, but same error

aohb

Please, has anyone got any ideas? I'm getting fed up now  :(

Antechinus

aohb, just ignore those. I think it's a bug in the upgrade script. Hit the Skip option and proceed with the upgrade. If you need to update languages files you can do it after upgrading. I've done it this way several times.

aohb

Thanks, when I hit skip it's giving me this error:  Critical Error!
The upgrade script cannot find script.js or it is out of date. Make sure your theme paths are correct. You can download a setting checker tool from the Simple Machines Website

I have re-uploaded all files again, that's 1.1.9 then RC1 and it's still giving me these errors! There can't be anything missing!

aohb

Gosh, this never ends! I managed to skip the upload and now have this error:
Database Changes
Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing upgrade script 1 of 2.
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script).

Database Updates Complete! Click Continue to Proceed.
!!
Error!
Unknown Error!

Which isn't very helpful as I don't even know what the error is!!!!

aohb

Still having problems, can anyone help please?  :-[

aohb

No, I don't use cPanel, I use Plesk.

aohb

Think the error may be to do with script.js but that is there, I have reuploaded it as well and it is at 777.

aohb

aohb

There's a Log Files then Log Manager which has some errors in it, the last few mentioning 'access_log.processed' and 'access_log'. Is that what you mean? That's all I have in Plesk with regards to an error log.

aohb

Yeah there are error logs, should I post the whole thing?

aohb

It won't let me post it, it says I've exceeded maximum characters allowed in a message, but it won't even let me halve it. I don't think that is relevant anyway as these 'errors' seem to apply to my live forum, which is running fine. I'm not sure where to find the error log for a specific folder?

aohb

I've had a look through - all errors are for my live forum, mostly about the Themes folder, none about my testforum... Very odd.... I'm really stumped now. Why can't it just say what the error is  :(

aohb

Oh right. Is there anything else I can do?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi aohb, do you still need assistance with this?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

aohb

Yes I do, I am still very much stuck  :(

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

What are you stuck with? What are you needing assistance with at the moment?

Just trying to clarify this a bit, since this is already a rather lengthy topic, and the last post of your progress was a long time ago.

So could you tell us what the situation is at the moment?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

aohb

I am at the same point as before. I am trying to install RC2 on a test forum. I keep re-uploading a fresh version of 1.1.10 and then trying to upgrade to RC2.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

And what is the problem / error you are experiencing this time? Where does it stop and why, so that you can't upgrade to 2.0?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aohb

This is the error message, which is incredibly helpful. Before that it moaned about my script.js being out of date, but allowed me to proceed to this step. As you can see it doesn't get far.

"Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script)."

I was able to install RC2 on its own fine, but for some reason it will not let me upgrade from 1.1.10 (or 1.1.9), which is essential as I want to retain my members/posts/etc.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If you start the upgrade, and select the option to display additional debugging info, does it stop in the exact same spot - could you get a screenshot of what is visible on the screen at the moment it stops then?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

aohb

I selected the option to display the extra debugging info. Got same error, but no info.

"

Database Changes
Executing database changes
Please be patient - this may take some time on large forums. The time elapsed increments from the server to show progress is being made!
Executing: "Updating and creating indexes..." (1 of 19 - of this script).

Updating indexes on "messages"...

"

After scrolling down...

aohb

Any ideas? I am still stuck with this...

aohb

Arantor, anyone else, can you please help?

Norv

Please go to phpMyAdmin, select the smf_messages table, and export it in an sql file. Make sure eventually to uncheck the "data" from phpMyAdmin's export options window, export only the structure of the table.
Post it here as attachment.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Advertisement: