News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Dev Blog #42: The Blog About Life, The Universe And Everything

Started by Aaron, July 02, 2009, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron

Hi all,

The last blog post regarding SMF's development was posted about half a month ago. I felt it'd be nice to give you lot some facts and numbers with regards to RC2's development.

At the moment I write this, 595 new entries were added to the changelog since the release of RC1, effectively bringing the number of open bug reports to 123, with only a few of them being show-stoppers for RC2. Some of the entries may describe trivial changes in the language files, but most of them describe proper bug fixes or full template conversions. Here's a geeky graph to illustrate the progress that has been made over the past months: :D

The last release candidate (i.e. a relatively stable version, but not quite the product we have in mind) was released on in February this year, with May seeing a security update for it. This led to confusion - why didn't we release RC2?

"Curve", is the answer to that question. It's taken us considerably longer than initially anticipated to convert every single template used by SMF. Our main priority right now is to ensure our new theme base will work in RTL languages and adjusting the our default theme (now known as Core) to work with the new base theme. We're also doing our best to ease transition for themes designed for previous versions of SMF by including a compatibility stylesheet. While this probably won't make it perfectly flawless transition, it will ensure the forum is functional at the very least.

As I know most of you just are very keen to see some of the progress on Curve, I'll go ahead and give a few sneak previews. Don't tell Compuart, though! ;)

(Click an image for a larger version.)

You may notice some non-theme related changes in these screenshots. For example, the registration section and profile fields feature recently had had a makeover.

I know most of you are eager to know when RC2 will be released. Unfortunately, I cannot say. Personally however, I am counting on a release this summer. :)

Aaron

Nibogo

Really nice developers, we all know that the RC2 will be another great release of SMF thr most important thing here is stability and performance.

I can't wait to test curve, great work guys! ;)

Arantor

Awesome to hear that RC2 is 'soon'. It shows that our faith is not unrewarded.

Antechinus

Hmm, on reflection I think I should make another image for those stats bars. That one looks a tad obese on it and the colour could match the catbg's a bit better too. :P

aldo

I see SMF 2.0 RC2 has you read and accept the agreement before filling out your information. Interesting :P

Simplemachines Cowboy

My SMF forum: The Open Range

islam2hamy

Arabic Translator - Web Designer
My Mods / My Themes  //  GfxLand

babjusi

Caelum

Really nice.

Looking forward to seeing it :)

EDIT: And thanks for all the fish!

Alpay

Norv

To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Paracelsus

"Curve" looks very impressive, but you guys really have to make a relift of those icons (just look at those question marks and see how they contrast with the rest of "Curve" :P)

HecKel

#42 :P Now we have the answer for everything :D

Q: "when will be the SMF 2.0 Gold version released?"
A: 42

:D
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Dragooon

The Universe? Everything? You didn't tell how exactly the Universe was originated, and I'm not talking about theory...I need videos! Or maybe where's the nearest intelligent civilization will work for now..:P

On a more serious note, keep up the good job! We're counting on ya!

Antechinus

Quote from: Paracelsus on July 06, 2009, 08:54:15 AM
"Curve" looks very impressive, but you guys really have to make a relift of those icons (just look at those question marks and see how they contrast with the rest of "Curve" :P)
Yup, some of the old icons are a bit gruesome and we are looking at them. Other things need doing first though. ;)

Yigal

Yigal V.
Contact me by PM

do yourself a favour and not annoy support helpers by spamming or messaging for support
1.x Support | 2.x Support | 5Mods

septa/njt rider

looks nice, i'm just not a fan of margin boarders, but hey, as long as it's functional :P It still says RC1-1 lol

Also, i like what you've done with the registration system, good work, can't wait for Curve :P

riker

Quote from: Aäron on July 02, 2009, 04:30:24 PM
I know most of you are eager to know when RC2 will be released. Unfortunately, I cannot say. Personally however, I am counting on a release this summer. :)

Aaron

2009 ?

Arantor

Given that the statement was 'this summer', I would indeed take that to mean 2009 - in the next couple of months. And given that that is coming from one of the devs, I think that's entirely reasonable.

Advertisement: